You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

December 03, 2016, 04:05:23 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Send us your theme!

Hark!  The Herald!
Holiday Issue 2016

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: Is This For Real?! (RE: Stop Online Piracy Act)  (Read 7672 times)

Offline Vekseid

Offline ShadowFox89

Re: Is This For Real?! (RE: Stop Online Piracy Act)
« Reply #51 on: January 15, 2012, 01:29:12 AM »
It's funny, he mentions Google pouring millions into lobbyists. Last I checked on sites like opencongress.org, lobbyists supporting the bills have contributed over ten times the amount that opponents have.

Offline Callie Del Noire

« Reply #52 on: January 15, 2012, 01:30:17 AM »
Aww, Murdoch no likey Obama anymore.

Considering that he wants to get a dime every time someone mentions the words 'according to the New York Times' aloud, he's going to throw a hissy when the president comes out against something like that. After all it means that Google, YouTube and all those other commie subversive pinkos in California won't be paying him his due!

Not to mention the more folks pay attention to THIS the less they will to the fact that it's fairly likely that News Corp violated people's privacy here in the US as well as the UK and he's been covering it up!

(Sorry.. I despise the man..and everytime I see his picture I expect him to have a 'Blofeld Cat' in his hands and saying things like. "No Mr. Bond, I expect you to die..."

Offline Ironwolf85

• Eletronic Scribe of naughty things.
  • Lord
  • Enchanter
  • Here to have fun, Role play, and maybe get laid
  • My Role Play Preferences
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #53 on: January 16, 2012, 01:47:25 AM »
Well look at Wizard's solution for ebook copying. They went from 'some legal and mostly illegal' to 'all illegal' by removing all electronic content they WERE getting paid for offline. You want ANYTHING of Wizards in pdf or ebook format.. forget it.

I lost like 2 dozen 3.5 books and modules from Drivethrurpg because I was on deployment duirng the 2 day grace period before they had to pull content.

just wanted to say Pazio has whupped wizard's ass for the last two years. in attepmting to kill third parties with 4e and banning all 3.5 in digital format, even suing over it the lost not just repsect, but many players as well.

according to the christmas sales for both groups, after the tally is in, Pazio's marketing of digital, user friendly, products, coupled with not pnly paying attention to their fanbase, but allowing fan made material, that, if well written, you can download for either free or anywhere between 1-20 dollars depending on quality, and even giving the writers a cut of the money when their mods sell, have won over fans.

D&D 4e and Pathfinder are currently tied in sales revenue.
over half wizard's staff jumped ship when they abandoned all d20 products and licences, and the market is speaking volumes about adapting to the times and listening to your fans.

Online Oniya

• StoreHouse of Useless Trivia
  • Oracle
  • Carnite
  • Location: Just bouncing through. Hi! City of Roses, Pennsylvania
  • One bad Motokifuka. Also cute and FLUFFY!
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 3

Offline Mithlomwen

• ~ E's resident kilt inspector ~ ~ Atropos ~
  • Goddess
  • Carnite
  • ~ Thunder only happens when it's raining.... ~
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #55 on: January 18, 2012, 07:54:25 AM »
Figured I'd post this here.  I went to check out my local Craigslist and ended up redirected here: 

http://www.craigslist.org/about/SOPA

Offline Sarena

« Reply #56 on: January 18, 2012, 01:22:48 PM »

Petition against PIPA and SOPA.  Thought some might be interested in this, if ya hadn't seen it already.

Offline gaggedLouise

• Quim Queen | Collaborative juicy writer
  • Champion
  • Enchanter
  • Bound, gagged and unarmed but still dangerous.
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #57 on: January 18, 2012, 01:58:21 PM »
In my native tongue, sopa means "piece of trash, utter garbage". Very fitting acronym.

Offline Callie Del Noire

« Reply #58 on: January 18, 2012, 02:37:57 PM »
Strangely enough.. BOTH my senator's office numbers have been solidly busy ALL day.

Offline ShadowFox89

« Reply #59 on: January 18, 2012, 02:46:48 PM »
 Who would have thought?

Offline Saku

« Reply #60 on: January 18, 2012, 08:20:44 PM »
https://www.google.com/landing/takeaction/

Go vote against having it get passed! xD

Online Oniya

• Oracle
  • Carnite
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #61 on: January 18, 2012, 08:27:17 PM »
Five key senators abandon online piracy bills amid Web protests

Congressional support for controversial online piracy legislation eroded dramatically on Wednesday in the face of an unprecedented online protest supported by tech titans such as Google, Wikipedia and Facebook.

Offline Callie Del Noire

« Reply #62 on: January 18, 2012, 09:56:15 PM »
Damn.. two months of emailing/calling Marco Rubio's office and he FINALLY grows a pair. I'm still not voting for him again or trusting him farther than I can throw the Capitol.

Offline Vekseid

« Reply #63 on: January 18, 2012, 10:10:55 PM »
Somehow, I don't think it's a matter of growing a pair when it took Google and Wikipedia basically telling half his voter base.

Offline ShadowFox89

« Reply #64 on: January 18, 2012, 10:12:21 PM »
Google, Wikipedia, Facebook, Twitter, Reddit.....

Offline Vekseid

« Reply #65 on: January 18, 2012, 10:25:35 PM »
Did Facebook or Twitter ever put up a notice with similar visibility to Google's? I didn't see it. At the same token, if I were in Facebook or Twitter's position, I'd be wary of presenting it as an overkill issue rather than allowing the user population to basically prove that Google and Wikipedia are not acting on purely ulterior motives.

If the idea of Google and Facebook banding together on a consumer information campaign didn't scare the shit out of Congress before, it ought to now.

Offline Cheka Man

« Reply #66 on: January 18, 2012, 10:35:06 PM »
I brought hundereds of pounds of music legally through I-tunes, and when my computer died I lost the whole lot. And you wonder why people turn pirate?

Offline Chris Brady

« Reply #67 on: January 18, 2012, 10:44:50 PM »
Google, Wikipedia, Facebook, Twitter, Reddit.....
All of which has more credibility than all the petitions in the world.  If they hadn't stepped to the plate, the bills would have passed easily.  Sad, but true.

Offline Callie Del Noire

« Reply #68 on: January 18, 2012, 11:43:16 PM »
I brought hundereds of pounds of music legally through I-tunes, and when my computer died I lost the whole lot. And you wonder why people turn pirate?

You might want to check your iTunes account.. the new iCloud update gave me several DOZEN albums I lost in the last drive crash back. I've been using iTunes for.. oh.. six years and some of them were quite old.

Just saying.. you might get some of them back.

Offline Callie Del Noire

« Reply #69 on: January 18, 2012, 11:44:07 PM »
All of which has more credibility than all the petitions in the world.  If they hadn't stepped to the plate, the bills would have passed easily.  Sad, but true.

Well on the other side of the coin. GoDaddy backed it.. and lost something like 100,000 domains for it.

Offline Revolverman

Offline Iniquitous

« Reply #71 on: January 19, 2012, 12:14:36 PM »
Found this this afternoon from the creator of Cheezburger. Apparently, it's making it's rounds, let's hope it helps drum up more awareness with those that don't pay attention to what's going on.

The Day The LOLcats died

Online Oniya

• Oracle
  • Carnite
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #72 on: January 19, 2012, 12:32:54 PM »
http://www.addictinginfo.org/2012/01/18/congressman-lamar-smith-author-of-sopa-breaks-copyright-law-on-campaign-website-image/

*cough*

I thought that was terribly funny.  If you follow links back to where the story broke (I went to the 9GAG article, and there was a link to a Forbes article in the comments, which led me to a Vice article), there's actually a comment from the photographer suggesting that if the bill passed, maybe he'd file suit under it.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 12:36:38 PM by Oniya »

Online Lilias

« Reply #73 on: January 19, 2012, 04:56:28 PM »
This looks rather nice as well...

Offline Callie Del Noire

« Reply #74 on: January 19, 2012, 04:59:56 PM »
give it six months.. it will be back to the first position picture again.. the elected think all they have to do is wait.