You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

December 10, 2016, 08:23:38 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Send us your theme!

Hark!  The Herald!
Holiday Issue 2016

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: Upgrading Windows7  (Read 822 times)

Offline SyblTopic starter

Upgrading Windows7
« on: November 15, 2011, 11:52:19 AM »
I ordered Windows7 Professional from Tiger Direct.
I am disappointed as no instructions came with it. No CD/DVD just a product key and a link to get the download. 

I have never done an upgrade before. My question is, when I download it will I lose my bookmarks, and programs that are on my computer right now. Can someone help me with this, please? Thank you.

Offline Vekseid

Re: Upgrading Windows7
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2011, 12:23:06 PM »
It will probably change your theme, but nothing else should change, no.

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2011, 12:27:19 PM »
Thank You Vekseid :)

Offline Sarena

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2011, 01:00:45 PM »
Hi, Sybl!

There are two ways to install a new operating system on your computer.  The first is to do just an upgrade, where it only changes your OS, but all of your programs and files and bookmarks, etc. remain the same.  The other is to do a fresh install, which I believe you need a disk in order to do but I could be wrong.  But what it does is wipe the harddrive and installs Windows 7 in place of the old OS rather than upgrading the old OS to it.  This is what I did because I was getting rid of viruses and crap that I could not get rid of. 

Once you start the process, just follow the directions that it gives you when you start the process.  Good luck and welcome to the wonderful world of W7.  Personally, I love it so much more than any of the other Windows operating systems!

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2011, 01:12:51 PM »
Thank you Sarena. I have Windows7 Home. on this PC,  I need the Windows XP that comes with Win7 Pro, to be able to use my art programs that are not compatible with the Home version..

I am doing a complete back up of everything just in case. :) Better safe than sorry.

Offline Sarena

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2011, 01:29:54 PM »
Oh most definitely!  I've been known to have a back up for the back up. ~grins~

Offline Kronn

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2011, 06:25:39 PM »
Hi Sybl,

You shouldn't lose anything it you treat it as an upgrade but as you were saying, better back-up your book-marks, data files, saved games....also it's good practice to write your passwords separately like i a special notebook or something.

Yes and do back-up all your fractal programing and files....

Kronn
XXX