You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

December 06, 2016, 08:16:14 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Send us your theme!

Hark!  The Herald!
Holiday Issue 2016

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: Am I allowed to do this? (A question for mods and the experienced)  (Read 741 times)

Offline klamityTopic starter

Am I allowed to do this? (A question for mods and the experienced)
« on: September 14, 2011, 09:20:09 AM »
As we may all have experienced in our time on E, some threads simply become inactive. I however still like the settings or characters. I've toyed with the idea of having a thread where I ask if people would like to 'Adopt a thread' in some manner.

My issue with this is I have an inkling feeling this may break a rule somehow. I have checked the rules and there is nothing again this, but I still want a mods say on my idea. What I believe this would be doing is something to deal with bumping: after all, a lot of the threads have been inactive for over a month.

I know this request isnt the best formed, but its just a check to keep me covered. I hate getting it trouble ^^;

Offline Avis habilis

Re: Am I allowed to do this? (A question for mods and the experienced)
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2011, 09:24:18 AM »
You mean offer up a thread for other people to take charge of the characters & continue the story?

You would definitely want to get agreement from all the other people involved beforehand. After all, every game is a shared property, so you couldn't just hand over a partner's character to be played by someone else.

Offline klamityTopic starter

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2011, 10:04:15 AM »
Alright. I have tried contacting most of them after the they never replied, and never got a PM back.

If I offered a PM (this will be a tl;dr version) of 'Im putting our old thread up for adoption, speak now or forever hold your peace'. Would that be acceptable?

Also, in one case the other person was banned: same deal or different story?

Offline Avis habilis

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2011, 10:09:07 AM »
If it were me, I wouldn't do it without explicit permission from the other person. The rule, if any, that deals with this may be obscure, but it's still only good manners not to give away other people's stuff.

Same deal with the banned person. Banned or not, they still own the character, so without permission I'd leave it alone.

Online Lilias

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2011, 10:39:07 AM »
We used to have a thread where we dropped ideas that for whatever reason we couldn't take up ourselves, for others to pick up. You can always put up the same plot ideas on your request thread, with a link to the original games, and say that people can help themselves (to the plot, not the actual thread or characters).

Offline Oniya

• StoreHouse of Useless Trivia
  • Oracle
  • Carnite
  • Location: Just bouncing through. Hi! City of Roses, Pennsylvania
  • One bad Motokifuka. Also cute and FLUFFY!
  • My Role Play Preferences
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 3
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2011, 09:09:25 AM »
I think what it comes down to is that the parts you created (your character, your plot, even incorporate the history if you want) are yours to do with as you please.  The bits that are someone else's (their character, their plot - if you had started this in response to their 'wanted' posting) would need permission to use them.

For example, if I start a story with someone where they are a patron of my violinist and turn my character into a vampire, and then the story drops - I could still use my now-vampiric violinist, but I'd have to solicit a new patron.  That new patron may or may not be a vampire, but the events played out in the previous story wouldn't be part of their shared history.

Offline GothicFires

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2011, 09:59:50 AM »
It took me a few tries to try to figure out what you are saying. If this is a story you are participating in and your partner disappears from a story you want someone to pick up the character where they have left off. (at least this is how i am interpreting it).

There is nothing wrong with this, if someone is willing to pick up the story. Personally I have been second person in a three person chain playing a character that a player really enjoyed the story for.

However your problem may be in finding someone willing to pick up a character that someone else has established the personality for.  My personal suggestion is to throw the idea back out there for a new partner to start from scratch. I've done this many times. In fact one game I am playing now is in its third incarnation and different from the other two in a good way, but I still have a more developed plot line from my previous two tries.

Out of politeness though, I would verify with the previous partner that they are in fact finished with the game.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2011, 10:01:34 AM by GothicFires »

Offline Elina

• How am I supposed to breathe? I try to relax. I touch your still frame, so I can watch you closer and study the ways I believe I belong to you.
  • Dame
  • Carnite
  • I'm drinking what used to be sin.
  • My Role Play Preferences
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2011, 10:23:08 PM »
Keep in mind that some games are just slow.  I have one partner who seems to post every 5 months or so.  I also have had games that are on hold with every intention to eventually return to them.