You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

December 06, 2016, 10:16:40 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Send us your theme!

Hark!  The Herald!
Holiday Issue 2016

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: Removing my hair over this -_-  (Read 2523 times)

Offline AdonisTopic starter

Re: Removing my hair over this -_-
« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2011, 01:58:44 AM »
Weight isn't really ever an issue, even when it comes to laptops with me. My first one was a monster, and weighed enough that the newer stuff really doesn't bother me.

As for the laptop or desktop debate, a desktop is out of the question. I haven't the space, nor another desk for a desktop. Normally I've got a cooling pad on the end of the bed and my lappy. I've got about three years of both IT schooling as well as some IT tech work under my belt, so I know what I'm after for the most part (gamer as well).

I'm gonna take a look at the Asus ROG line here in a few minutes. I've heard of the brand "Asus" before, but never really put stock in the non-advertised brands. Still, never hurts, especially if it saves my bank account. Thanks Legion :)

Offline Nessy

« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2011, 02:08:15 AM »
Weight isn't really ever an issue, even when it comes to laptops with me. My first one was a monster, and weighed enough that the newer stuff really doesn't bother me.

As for the laptop or desktop debate, a desktop is out of the question. I haven't the space, nor another desk for a desktop. Normally I've got a cooling pad on the end of the bed and my lappy. I've got about three years of both IT schooling as well as some IT tech work under my belt, so I know what I'm after for the most part (gamer as well).

I'm gonna take a look at the Asus ROG line here in a few minutes. I've heard of the brand "Asus" before, but never really put stock in the non-advertised brands. Still, never hurts, especially if it saves my bank account. Thanks Legion :)

Asus used to make some really nice boards and some people still swear by them. They are not a no name brand by any stretch of the imagination. That company has been pretty solid for years with only a slip up now and then. I am not 100% about their systems, but it's not a no name walmart brand.

« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2011, 01:08:02 PM »
You know, the longer this goes on, the more im beginning to think its something as simple as my cmos battery going dead. I remember from somewhere that one of the symptoms of a thing is that the computer wont even hit the POST.

It makes sense with the stuff ive been experiencing. The inconsistant led light codes dealing with a bad cmos now and again, as well as the fact that if I leave the computer unplugged overnight with no battery supply, this eventually happens. Once I tossed a battery in as a power supply, the cmos battery seems to draw enough power to pull up a bad checksum screen and tells me to reboot.

Online Oniya

• StoreHouse of Useless Trivia
  • Oracle
  • Carnite
  • Location: Just bouncing through. Hi! City of Roses, Pennsylvania
  • One bad Motokifuka. Also cute and FLUFFY!
  • My Role Play Preferences
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 3
« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2011, 02:19:58 PM »
CMOS batteries aren't that pricey, are they?  Sounds like a good troubleshooting step, even considering the cramped architecture of a laptop (hated cracking those things open for that reason alone.)

« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2011, 02:22:32 PM »
Nah, the way mine is designed, i can just pull one of the panels off in the back like im trying to get at the memory slots.

Online Oniya

• StoreHouse of Useless Trivia
  • Oracle
  • Carnite
  • Location: Just bouncing through. Hi! City of Roses, Pennsylvania
  • One bad Motokifuka. Also cute and FLUFFY!
  • My Role Play Preferences
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 3
« Reply #30 on: September 19, 2011, 02:24:37 PM »
Excellent!  I suppose enough IT people complained.  (Another setup that was hell was the original IMac.  Like shelling hard-shell crabs without even getting lunch out of it.)

Offline Nessy

« Reply #31 on: September 19, 2011, 02:51:47 PM »
You know, the longer this goes on, the more im beginning to think its something as simple as my cmos battery going dead. I remember from somewhere that one of the symptoms of a thing is that the computer wont even hit the POST.

It makes sense with the stuff ive been experiencing. The inconsistant led light codes dealing with a bad cmos now and again, as well as the fact that if I leave the computer unplugged overnight with no battery supply, this eventually happens. Once I tossed a battery in as a power supply, the cmos battery seems to draw enough power to pull up a bad checksum screen and tells me to reboot.

I am not 100% sure but from I have read that even without a CMOS battery, the board should still POST but not boot. I also think my experience has suggested that, but I don't run into CMOS battery issues often.

Offline shojin

« Reply #32 on: January 02, 2012, 02:57:49 PM »
I remember having this same problem when I first put together my desktop. I thought it was my processor, or my power supply. I tried resetting the CMOS too. None of these solved it. What ended up being the problem actually, was that I had daisy chained together too many of the fans in my computer to one power cable from the supply.

Have you recently done any work on the inside of the computer?