You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

December 07, 2016, 02:19:48 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Send us your theme!

Hark!  The Herald!
Holiday Issue 2016

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: Speakers  (Read 911 times)

Offline SerephinoTopic starter

Speakers
« on: March 13, 2011, 10:12:54 AM »
What causes them to make static noises, and how do I make it stop?  This is seriously driving me crazy!  It's a little high-pitched squeak every few seconds, and it does it mostly in the morning whenever  I first turn it on.  It stops usually whenever I play a game or music or something, but is there a way I can make it not do it at all?

Offline Soran

Re: Speakers
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2011, 01:54:19 PM »
I found my speakers could be very sensitive to certain electrical devices, like a powerful light that created an annoying buzz. I would just check to ensure the wires (if you are using wired speakers) aren't touching any others which will solve some problems from static.

Unfortunately speaker wires are not shielded very well from the various electrical devices and the only way I could cure those issues was simply by changing the wire to a better shielded one. It's a real pain in the ass to do and some soldering is involved and I can only really recommend it if it is annoying you in the extreme. I only changed mine as one of the wires had broken which left me without sound in one of the speakers. Sorry I can't be of any further help.

Online Oniya

• StoreHouse of Useless Trivia
  • Oracle
  • Carnite
  • Location: Just bouncing through. Hi! City of Roses, Pennsylvania
  • One bad Motokifuka. Also cute and FLUFFY!
  • My Role Play Preferences
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 3
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2011, 02:53:16 PM »
You might see if a little aluminum foil helps reduce the noise.  There's an aluminum tape available in hardware stores that I've seen guitarists use to re-shield amplifiers that they've replaced the outer covering on, but household aluminum foil should give you an idea of whether there's an interfering signal coming from somewhere.

Offline Pandoras Kitten

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2011, 07:27:34 AM »
Some speakers are just annoying and generate funny noises at certain points of their operation.

Usually these are the cheaper Made in China ones I find at flea markets.

If you're dealing with sound issues on a premium sound system I suggest checking out the connections, dealing with interference, trying if gold connectors work, etc, but I'd rather just replace the speakers or soundcards most of the time.

Some of the cheap stuff can sound surprisingly good - I usually stick to reliable brands like Altec Lansing and Logitech.

Offline SerephinoTopic starter

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2011, 07:29:55 PM »
Yeah, my boyfriend replaced them for me one morning, and I haven't had an issue since.  They were cheap Dell pieces of crap.