You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.
October 20, 2016, 07:38:30 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Send us your theme!

The Elliquian Herald & Post
October & November 2016

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: Confused about wireless  (Read 740 times)

Offline Eternal BladeTopic starter

Confused about wireless
« on: March 03, 2011, 11:44:41 AM »
I'm admittedly not vastly experienced with wireless routers, but I had believed I bought a router that would be compatible with my laptop.

I have an Acer Aspire 5251-1805 laptop, it's suppose to have a wireless card that supports b/g/n signals, and it worked fine on a G router.

However as my netgear G router stopped working a little more than six months after I bought it, I decided to try for an N router. After some looking around, I bought a MEDIALINK wireless N broadband router with an internal antenna: model number MWN-WAPR150N.

After setting it up, I have been unable to get more than a 54 mbps, which from my understanding is G speeds. I contacted the tech support, and after some working with them they have told me that my computer needs an N adapter. I told them that my computer has gotten as much as 117 mbps on another router and they said it was probably a dual band router. I did some more research online, and from what I can tell dual band just allows for an 5GHz, and an A signal.

My computer from everything I know doesn't even have access to an A signal, so why would the other router, maybe being a dual band, have allowed for me to connect at higher speeds? If anyone has an answer or a solution that's not gonna cost me more money, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Online Vekseid

Re: Confused about wireless
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2011, 08:25:06 AM »
You should be getting around 70 I think. However, if you are allowing b/g networks that may slow things - try switching t on-only instead.

If you have an option to switch the channel width to 40MHz, that may double your bandwidth.

Offline Eternal BladeTopic starter

Re: Confused about wireless
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2011, 01:17:23 PM »
I see, I'll try that thanks.

They had to send out another router because that one stopped working, and now I'm getting like 65 mbps, so better than before.