You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

December 05, 2016, 08:41:52 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Send us your theme!

Hark!  The Herald!
Holiday Issue 2016

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: EveryDNS terminates DNS service to Wikileaks.org  (Read 494 times)

Online VekseidTopic starter

EveryDNS terminates DNS service to Wikileaks.org
« on: December 03, 2010, 07:42:47 AM »
The site is still accessible by mirrors on its IP ranges - e.g: http://213.251.145.96/

EveryDNS is a free DNS provider. It's used by people who, for one reason or another, do not wish to run their own DNS servers. Elliquiy used them for awhile until I moved my domains to Namecheap, which provides its own service. I've been thinking of setting up some domains on DNS Made Easy to speed up access times and make the sites more robust, but they're for pay and money is tight.

I'm rather surprised that Wikileaks was using them. If Assange is setting up servers all over, he should at least have a fairly robust DNS package.

DNS is easily the most vulnerable portion of the Internet, as a rule. While pretty much any other sort of DDOS attack can be mitigated, DNS reflection attacks are one of the flaws that everyone knows about but no serious effort so far has been made to correct.

I've mentioned the possibility of an alternative DNS root before - and possibly an alternative DNS system. This sort of thing gives Wikileaks and others common cause with Peter Sunde about building a new DNS system.

This could prove rather interesting, as the threat of a DNS-based DDOS looms over everyone's head, for the most part. At least until you get to the top 20-30 sites, anyway. This means Elliquiy, too, so a system that could prevent this - even if it was only for those users who cared to implement it - would be very attractive.

Offline Callie Del Noire

Re: EveryDNS terminates DNS service to Wikileaks.org
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2010, 12:25:24 PM »
Well from a business point of view that is fairly practical. They have to consider their other clients. It's a fairly pragmatic outlook I'd say. Not that I didn't see it coming with the heat that they have been getting.

Offline Oniya

• StoreHouse of Useless Trivia
  • Oracle
  • Carnite
  • Location: Just bouncing through. Hi! City of Roses, Pennsylvania
  • One bad Motokifuka. Also cute and FLUFFY!
  • My Role Play Preferences
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 3
Re: EveryDNS terminates DNS service to Wikileaks.org
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2010, 03:44:46 PM »
They have another problem now:

WikiLeaks loses major source of revenue when PayPal cuts off donation account

Donating money to WikiLeaks via PayPal was not possible anymore on Saturday, generating an error message saying: "This recipient is currently unable to receive money."

PayPal said in a blog posting that cutting off WikiLeaks' account was prompted by a violation of the service provider's policy, "which states that our payment service cannot be used for any activities that encourage, promote, facilitate or instruct others to engage in illegal activity."