You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

December 06, 2016, 02:06:43 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Send us your theme!

Hark!  The Herald!
Holiday Issue 2016

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: Everythings Fantastic  (Read 431 times)

Offline jochannonTopic starter

Everythings Fantastic
« on: September 16, 2010, 05:11:23 AM »
Have you noticed how everything modern is really fantastic?

I mean, when was the last time you got on a plane, and after it took off, you took a moment to say to yourself: "I am flying through the air; I am flying! Like a bird!"

When was the last time you logged on to the internet, and took a moment to think about what the internet is: billions of pieces of information, traveling instantaneously across the world every minute of every day.

How incredible is using a cellphone, you ever consider that? First your voice is broken  down and translated into a digital language, then it is transmitted to a cell tower, transmitted along a land line to another celltower, is transmitted to another cell phone, where the signal is again broken down and translated back into your voice: how incredible is that? I grew up with a flippin' rotary phone; I think about that a lot.

Running water: seems commonplace today, but something like 99% of people who have ever lived never had it; I lived without running water for a while: in the backwoods of Vermont, we had a hand-pump well and a privy out back. I really liked it; I really liked that lifestyle, but the incredible marvel that is running water, never ceases to amaze me.

You ever think about that? I do, all the time.