Freeform Dark Fantasy Adventure: Empashis on the Erotic

Started by Ixy, October 22, 2006, 10:03:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ixy

Hi all...

I'm testing the waters for a long-term game with a limited number of players.  The key features would be:

1) Party-Centered: I'm not looking to just create a world, but to build a plot revolving around a core group of characters.  This means that the players must be limited in number, and would ideally be focused on long-term play.  Depending on frequency, plot elements might take a week to a month to resolve.

2) Freeform gaming: In NO way do I want this to be a conglomeration on any of the fifty thousand sourcebooks, articles, or other crap for any particular game system.  Of course, I envision the basic characteristics of any RPG where character generation is involved: strengths, weaknesses, background, basic characteristics like a standardized 'class' and 'race' for categorization purposes.  But there won't be anything left to pure chance; it requires a lot of trust in fellow players and a GM to relinquish the illusion of balance that results from probability manipulation.  Any decisions made must be based on what makes the most sense, and-- most importantly-- what makes the best story.

3) Emphastis on erotica as a plot function: there will be situations where characters are free develop and explore intimate, fictional relationships without interference, but there will be specific plot situations that involve sexuality, with elements of bd/sm and other flavors.

Any thoughts?  Interest?  Comments or criticism?  Anything constructive is welcome here.

Elandra

Some questions...

Would the adventures be on an individual basis or would the party travel together as one? Would there be an overriding plot, a goal that the party would be working towards or would most of the scenarios revolve around the characters and their backgrounds?

*smiles*
~~~ ONs & OFFs ~~~ Requests ~~~

Used Carlot

One question from me, there is no character creation methods at all beyond say "My character is physically strong, average in coordination but kinda slow upstairs" ?

I have a DnD character I adore like no other. But she is very hard to fit into most settings that don't allow for those who've been raised by animals and DM's who don't like barbarians being barbarians. She is savage and prone to fights, but if she's a friend of the party she'll never betray them.

Ixy

Quote from: elandra on October 22, 2006, 10:08:31 AM
Some questions...

Would the adventures be on an individual basis or would the party travel together as one? Would there be an overriding plot, a goal that the party would be working towards or would most of the scenarios revolve around the characters and their backgrounds?

*smiles*

Thanks for asking :)

I envision the primary thread as being one group, traveling together, with a few offshoot-threads for individual scenarios upon which the plot does not hinge... for instance, if one character is experiencing a recurring dream, or if someone is wounded and must splinter off for a period of time.

There would be room for individual background development this way; interaction is, of course, what the game is all about, but I have a core plot in mind that I envision as the central nervous system of this game.  More on that to follow today. 

indarkestknight

I might be interested. I've got an old idea from another game that I've been thinking about bringing back...

Ixy

Quote from: Used Carlot on October 22, 2006, 10:25:55 AM
One question from me, there is no character creation methods at all beyond say "My character is physically strong, average in coordination but kinda slow upstairs" ?

I have a DnD character I adore like no other. But she is very hard to fit into most settings that don't allow for those who've been raised by animals and DM's who don't like barbarians being barbarians. She is savage and prone to fights, but if she's a friend of the party she'll never betray them.

Sort of...  we'd have a public list for commonly-known character attributes: description of a character's aptitudes, background, appearance, etc. would be listed there, and from that point it comes down to what makes sense for the character to be able to do, and what makes a good story.  I can also envision non-privy information (such as a character's secret fetish, deepest fear, dark secret) being left off the public forum but shared exclusively with the GM until such time that it makes sense for it to be known.

As far as limitations: we'd develop characters who are exceptional in some way or ways, but also have limitations.  If the character is well-developed enough to start with, then the unpredictable situations tend to resolve themselves.

Of course, if you play a barbarian who's unsocialized, she will have problems in the game... but that's rather the point, isn't it?  :)  She would probably need the party as much as they'd need her...  these character's aren't going to be strictly taling, fighting, searching for traps, exploring ruins, or copulating in temple forums... variety's the spice of life, so they'll have to do all of the above.  Er-- not at once, mind you, that'd be tough to follow ;)

I'll post a basic character template, and -- if you're interested--  maybe you can make suggestions?

Ixy

TENTATIVE CHARACTER TEMPLATE
Any suggestions are welcome here: it's not a casting call (YET!), it's just a start.
Some of these categories may be vague until the game background is created, I know... depending on the world's landscape, etc.  But assume flexibility for now, and we can try to work something out if this game is "a go".
If you have a character you'd like me to discuss with you directly, please feel free to message it to me.  Thanks!

Please feel free to modify the following categories.  They are only suggested.

Character Name
Concept (in a sentence or two)
Physical Makeup: 
  .Eye, hair, skin color, apparent age (18+only), build:
  .Manner of dress:
  .Demeanor (Carriage/posture, movement traits, etc.)
  .Distinguishing characteristics (scent, quirks, behaviors)
Background:
  .Public reputation, if applicable:
  .Childhood/Education/Training:
  .Significant events/people in character's life:
Strengths:
  .Character's capabilities physically, socially, and mentally
Weaknesses:
  .Areas where character is at a disadvantage.
Portrait: if desired.

Ixy

Another call for players here... I will initiate this game sometime this week, and so far I have received two character ideas.  Which is fantastic, since I haven't even posted anything about the plot specifically ;)

For a brief overview, read on.  If you can come up with a character that could fit into this scenario, please let me know so I can shape him, her, or it into the game.

The village of Sreka was a waystop on the south road to the salt flats... traders were the only ones not born there to set foot on its dry, cracked soil for two hundred years.  Its people were as ignorant of the changes to their world as they were of the surface of the moons; they raised agave and other desert succulents, they scavenged for water and held rank based on numbers of children born, the distance a man could throw a spear, the fastest horse... but that changed when the rains came.

For seven years, it rained at least one a month where it had once rained biannually... roads became creekbeds, canyons became lakes... their way of life changed so quickly that they knew not how to adapt.  The town became more and more vacant, empty, desolate, and hopeless as the people scattered to the heretofore unknown corners of their continent. 

Then the dreams began... Every girl and woman in the village saw it at night; a dark horse with a pale woman rider, white-haired and naked, riding her lathered beast at a gallop into the horizon and straight into the sun.  For a year, the same vision came with every night's sleep, until the village of Sreka emptied and its daughters scattered to the winds, carrying with them the message of her return: the maiden of Evanlel, the prophet's own blood reborn to return the peace of her father's reign to his suffering kingdom. 

All of the kingdoms of the once-wastes of Evanlel heard their messages, and could not deny them... though they did try.  The prophetesses were slain, captured, executed, made ridicule, slave, or spectacle, but nothing could kill their message: The chosen would rise, they would bond together, and they would deliver the maiden of Evanlel to the throne of the sun, where she will slay the lords of beasts and free man from the reign of darkness.

The darkness, however, will not comply.  The rebellion of the Evanle humans... long the minority of Evanlel... has been marked for destruction by the beast lords and will be quelled by force; too long have the Beasts tolerated their treaty with man, who proved more convenient to push to the fringes of the world rather than exterminate... if this rebellion is crushed, openly and utterly, then the legends of men will die with it.  And with those legends will go their hope.

If you join this campaign, your character will be one of the chosen.  Some will be honored, some will resist, but regardless, their path will be a dark one.  They will see battle, darkness, and death... they will see temples of the dark gods of lusts and pain, and they will have to summon incredible courage to survive.

MagicalPen

Hey...

Suprised i didnt respond to this the first time i saw it. But it sounds like a great idea. I've been wanting to get into an Epic story for a while. I'll go through and re-read the other posts in this threads to make sure i understand 100% whats going on, but otherwise expect a strong but flawed character later tonight!

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

Looking/Available for New Games

Dreamy

It sure looks interesting, but I'll have to wait until the weekend to even be able to start thinking about whether I have enough spare time to join a game or not. I'll get back by then and check if the game is full already.  ;)

Issei

I would love to join in if you still have room.  I'll work up a character and send it to you later today or tomorrow morning. 

Mindhazingsquid

indarkestknight

Still in. He'll take some tinkering, and I'd like a bit more backstory on the Beasts (I'm sure you know why... we may have to slightly alter his heritage based on the world).

MagicalPen

Whats the word on this? Never heard back from sending in Char Sheet...

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

Looking/Available for New Games

Ixy

Ah, my apologies.  I thank you all for your interest, and I'm currently trying to finish up the basics-- I tend to improvise, but in this case I'd like to have a strong foundation.  I will contact you individually, however, regarding the incorporation of each character ASAP.

Sorry-- but bear with me and all will be cool ;)

Ixy

We're on... https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?board=284.0
It's under Heavy Exotic: Freeform.

Those of you who've sent characters, hang tight for PM reply in the next day or two.  Yay ;)