You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

December 07, 2016, 10:17:14 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Send us your theme!

Hark!  The Herald!
Holiday Issue 2016

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: Japan's Low-tech Truth  (Read 413 times)

Offline MuninnTopic starter

Japan's Low-tech Truth
« on: July 14, 2010, 07:36:47 AM »
Revealing Japan's low-tech belly

Police stations without computers, 30-year-old "on hold" tapes grinding out tinny renditions of Greensleeves, ATMs that close when the bank does, suspect car engineering, and kerosene heaters but no central heating.

A dystopian vision of a nation with technology stuck in an Orwellian time warp? Not at all. These are aspects of contemporary, low-tech Japan (....)

This is so very, very true.  I thought things were that way around here because of the city I live in which is far from the most advanced city (granted that it is the second largest city in my prefecture).

I particularly hate the scary kerosene heaters (I never use mine) and ATMs closing at around  7-9pm and charging you roughly $1.50 to pull out money "after hours" (5pm-7/9pm and weekends) when this is a cash-based society!! I have never carried so much cash on me as I do here. Want to use a credit/debit card? Good luck... while some of the bigger companies and stores allow you it's a pain.  Oh, and you can order your amazon.com products with the C.O.D. option! I remember only hearing about C.O.D.s back home during those infomercials and even then they would all say "sorry, no C.O.D.s."
« Last Edit: July 14, 2010, 07:44:16 AM by Muninn »

Offline Wolfy

Re: Japan's Low-tech Truth
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2010, 07:41:22 AM »
o-o..Muninn..you live in Japan? O-o...

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2010, 07:43:33 AM »
o-o..Muninn..you live in Japan? O-o...

yes'm. Heading into my 3rd year.

Offline Wolfy

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2010, 07:44:19 AM »
Yayz..now I have someone to help me with my Japanese! :D

Taking my first class this coming semester..:D

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2010, 07:48:52 AM »
Yayz..now I have someone to help me with my Japanese! :D

Taking my first class this coming semester..:D

Good luck!  Though I must warn you:  be prepared for a wild (and difficult) ride if you go past this first year.  Though, I am curious, is this an actual class where you learn kana and kanji or more of a conversation/romaji course?  I don't know if the latter exists anymore but I had a friend take one in community college and I was very confused. Romaji actually confuses the heck outta me.

Offline Wolfy

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2010, 07:52:25 AM »
I'm not sure. o-o

All that I know is that it's a Language Course. soo..*shrugs*