You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

December 09, 2016, 01:54:22 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Send us your theme!

Hark!  The Herald!
Holiday Issue 2016

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: NIH finds antibodies effective in preventing HIV infection!  (Read 502 times)

Offline DarklingAliceTopic starter

Always nice to open up my in box and find it filled with good news from the NIH. The media will most likely be making their usual rounds of hubub and hyperbole. This is really really good, but it is not the miracle that it will be made out to be. Definitive release and references to the original articles in the following link:
http://www.niaid.nih.gov/news/newsreleases/2010/pages/hivantibodies.aspx

Scientists have discovered two potent human antibodies that can stop more than 90 percent of known global HIV strains from infecting human cells in the laboratory, and have demonstrated how one of these disease-fighting proteins accomplishes this feat. According to the scientists, these antibodies could be used to design improved HIV vaccines, or could be further developed to prevent or treat HIV infection. Moreover, the method used to find these antibodies could be applied to isolate therapeutic antibodies for other infectious diseases as well.

Offline Acinonyx

Re: NIH finds antibodies effective in preventing HIV infection!
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2010, 08:38:15 AM »
My university has no subscription to Science Express, so I have to wait for a little to read the original (damn!) and only have the media (and the abstract) to rely on.

But here's to good hope that this will significantly advance HIV research!

Offline Chevalier des Poissons

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2010, 01:58:00 PM »
Excellent. Another step towards the cure for the HIV, I hope.

Offline Paradox

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2010, 06:38:08 PM »
Heh, I had a link about this all ready to post in a new topic, but I had a feeling you might have beaten me to it. Glad to see I was right  :P