: Emrick StoneGender
: Human, Southern Appearance
- What he has on in the picture. His pants go to his ankles, where they hook onto clasps on his boots, which are thick, uncolored leather.Weaponry
- Emrick posseses a roughly built composite shotgun, made by his father. Single shot with a long reload (~45 seconds if he hurries), accurate to about twenty five meters. Can be loaded with a single slug or crushed shot for scatter. ((E.N.
: If you don't want gunpowder or explosives in the RP, that's cool to. Just let me know.))
- He also owns a springloaded bolter. It's a small simple device: a metal spring in a cylinder hooked to a trigger release. When released, it can hurl a stone a good ten meters about as fast as a sling. Really only effective in close range due to poor accuracy. Takes a good ten minutes to recompact the spring, so the first shot is the only shot.
- Emrick doesn't possess any bladed or other melee weapons. The shotgun is for hunting, and the bolter is a last resort, and more of a show-off weapon anyway.Scholar
- He possesses several rolls of blank parchment, as well as a couple of writing quills and a decent amount of ink. These are for recording his findings, taking notes, working equations, and miscellaneous journaling.
- Emrick also has several books, including one he is in the process of writing. The others are mainly geographic and cultural surveys of Ensiferum, relevant to his travels. They contain maps, eyewitness accounts of local animals and persons, paths and roads, sources of water, remote settlements, etc.Powders
- Amidst his satchels, Emrick has a small segmented pouch that contains a variety of powders. Some are magical in nature: mystical residue, strange dust, and other powders that contain abnormal qualities or energy. Some are samples, such as ground metal that somehow clings together, or crushed dirt from a remote, dark-watered river. There are a few, too, that serve more recreational purposes, IYKWIM.Position
: Scholar, Researcher, Explorer, Mage Preferences
: In general, Emrick prefers the wild and random nature of, er, nature over the moderated structure of civilization. He is easily bored. He is a good-oriented personOns
- Exploration and discovery
- Information, research, and knowledge
- Open mindedness
- Death and pain
- Rigidity and monotony
- Tradition, ceremony, etc.
- Evil, malevolence, "dark" people and things
- Needless fighting/destructionPersonality
: Emrick's youth, combined with his expeditions throughout Ensiferum, has created a semi-mature personality. He's both naive and street smart, knowing how to survive and how the world works, but also stuck in the eternal optimism of youth. He takes things as they come, often jumping to conclusions and acting on impulse. He's not stupid though; his impulses are based on accurate insight, a knack for seeing through the bullshit and straight to the source of the problem. Emrick has a boundless imagination, always experimenting with magic and expressing his creativity through writing and storytelling. He's bored easily, always on the move and looking for change. He prefers diplomacy over violence, talking over combat; this is both because of his relative inexperience with fighting, and because of his overall focus on creation and discovery.Two Words
- Curious Optimist
History: Emrick was born to a dutiful father and a priestess mother. He was raised in the confines of a sheltered town, fortified and heavily defended from the increasingly dangerous world around it. From a young age he thirsted for exploration, and spent more than one night dozing off on a ceiling or on the edge of the ramparts, looking out into the unknown world. At the age of thirteen, he permanently turned away from his parents professions, instead pursuing the life of a student. He was moved into the local academy, and spent many of his teenage years examining scrolls, learning long forgotten languages, and studying the works of the world. In time, he turned his attention away from worldly matters, and began studying magic.
His studies were cut off when he turned 17, and took on his first contract with a local guild to research parts of the world that haven't been visited in years. Emrick was to travel there, document his findings, grab samples, and return for his next assignment. Obviously, he lept at the opportunity to explore the unknown. He continues to take such contracts from guilds around Ensiferum, and still studies magic and the world around him as he goes. His current contract has lead him here, and he uses the Twilight Tavern as a central location from which to explore the surrounding wilderness.
My only questions are about magic and technology. What level of technology is there? Do we have primitive guns or steampunk (a la Warcraft
), or is it pure fantasy (a la LotR
What kind of magic exists in the world? Is it common? What are its abilities, its limits? Where do magic users draw power from (i.e. from lambent energy, a definitive power source somewhere, from within themselves, etc.)? Do certain people have a natural aptitude for it, or can anyone learn how to use it? Does magic work only through specific incantations (think spoken spells, written scrolls, runes, empowered objects, etc.), or is it free energy that can be willed to do whatever work the mage wishes?