You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.
October 22, 2016, 04:46:13 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Send us your theme!

The Elliquian Herald & Post
October & November 2016

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: Gaming Magazines  (Read 224 times)

Offline InkiduTopic starter

• E's Resident Girlomancer, Dedicated Philogynist, The Compartive of a Superlative, SLG's Sammich Life-Giver
  • Lord
  • Addict
  • My Role Play Preferences
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 0
Gaming Magazines
« on: July 03, 2010, 11:17:09 AM »
So I was reading my latest issue of Game Informer and already I think I hear some people hissing with disgust, and I read the reviews for both Obsidian's Alpha Protocol and Square-Enix's Nier. Both scored a 6.5 out of 10 and the entertainment value of the review was good. I think I hear more hissing so let me continue.

It's onions, yes, and they get paid for it, yes. Who wouldn't want that job. I would love that job. There is no end to the scathing reviews I would give Final Fantasy 13 and quite a few other games. Now I hear, "Well they get paid for it." they're the soulless, baby-eating evil that's ruining gaming!" Well, what do you want me to do? I'm not made of money and the guys at G.I. are professional (mostly). I can't go out and waste money on every game that hits stores. I wish I could, I can't.

I don't like taking the online reviews much either. Those are typically written by one person and there's something to be said for the confidence a good editor can bring to an article. Believe me I shopped around and I turned down every other magazine in favor of G.I. Electronic Gaming Monthly (EGM) lost my vote when they wrote back to a readers serious letter about co-op not being great for every game with "Just face it [name] you haven't got any friends."

For the most part I agree part-for-part with the scores G.I. give the games. I've only bought one two games that I didn't think were in the ballpark; those were Demigod and Final Fantasy 13.

So all and all they're batting about 900 which is awesome. I just can't stand it when people reading it. It's opinions. They're well-structured and researched and it's better to read than some person who thinks anyone who gets paid to be in video game industries is evil. I'll let them in on a hint: most people like eating too. I'm sure there's corruption in the system; is it any worse than web-rage-man's review of a game because he obviously just hates the company? I think not.

This might sound a bit ranty but I'm leaving it open for discussion. Enjoy.