You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.
October 21, 2016, 06:28:34 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Send us your theme!

The Elliquian Herald & Post
October & November 2016

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: Macbook for Trip?  (Read 305 times)

Offline TransgirlensteinTopic starter

Macbook for Trip?
« on: May 26, 2010, 10:09:17 AM »
So I'm seriously thinking of getting myself a macbook ( with whatever is left of my student loan money when I return to the states in the fall.  I'm just looking for opinions on it.  Good or bad. 

What do I need it to do?
Let me write scripts.
Let me possibly edit any films if I so choose.
Play games (City of Heroes/Villains, Elder Scrolls or whatever else I get my hands on)

Offline Callie Del Noire

Re: Macbook for Trip?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2010, 11:48:57 AM »
-Writing Scripts? There is Pages (the Apple Word Processor), Office for the Mac (I'd wait till the new version comes out), Scrivener (which I got for NanoWriMo completion at a discount). That is, I assume, the 'movie/play scripts bit' not programming script (which you'll have to ask someone else about)

-iMovie comes with most Macbooks and you can do a lot of editing with it, and there is a couple free/cheap programs out there to edit (or you can go full on crazy and something like Adobe movie editing software Premiere)

-Games: This is the weak point of the system but you can play CoH/V, WoW, Eve Online (my 3 MMOs), and Steam is adding a TON of options over time (they just finished their free Portal weekened)

Offline Arhys

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2010, 11:38:29 PM »
I'm glad someone could comment on how the macbook works with how you intend to use it, I can't but otherwise I am incredibly happy with mine.  It's coming up on 4 years old now and has been schlepped around the globe and back again, putting up with incredible abuse and misuse, and I have never had a problem.  Between this durability, some design features, and sheer time saved on security measures I'm more than happy I switched.

Offline Callie Del Noire

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2010, 11:45:19 PM »
My FAVORITE feature is the mag-disconnect power plug.

That is the ULTIMATE laptop feature. I don't know how many times I dove for a laptop that someone tripped over the power cord in tight spaces.

OS X is a very flexible system and with a little research you can do a lot of things you can with a normal PC. My Macbook hasn't had a crash yet, but it took a bit of getting used to. is a great spot to learn how to tweak you mac, (and their sister PC site is just as good for Windows machines btw