You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

December 04, 2016, 06:17:53 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Send us your theme!

Hark!  The Herald!
Holiday Issue 2016

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: Corrupt Data For PS2  (Read 556 times)

Offline Lady AnnabelleTopic starter

Corrupt Data For PS2
« on: April 10, 2010, 11:48:37 AM »
So, a couple of months ago, I found that one of my files on my PS2 memory card had become corrupted.  I couldn't delete it, so I just transferred all of my files into a whole new memory card.  I thought that would solve the problem, but I put in an older game into my PS2 last night and it said that game is now corrupted.  I am pretty sure I can delete the file if I would like, which is probably what I am going to have to do.  This memory card is brand spanking new and it already is getting corrupted data...

But, I am curious as to why my data keeps getting corrupted.  Is it the system that is corrupting my data?  Is it just that over time my files keep getting corrupted?  Should I move my files onto a whole new memory card?  I have a very old PS2 and am wondering if it would be prudent to go out and buy another one.  And I don't do anything terrible to my memory cards for it happen.  It is really getting frustrating as this is the 3rd game I have lost to corrupted data...

Offline Karma

Re: Corrupt Data For PS2
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2010, 12:58:45 PM »
Seems to me if it happened on a brand new card, it's almost certainly the console at fault, yeah?

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2010, 01:06:55 PM »
Can the console itself really corrupt data on a memory card?  I didn't think that was possible...

Offline Karma

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2010, 01:09:27 PM »
One of the contacts could be worn down, some cable could be loose... it could be any number of things. I would recommend finding another PS2 to borrow, try saving several times with a game that's been corrupted reliably, and see if it happens on that console.

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2010, 01:16:40 PM »
Unfortunately, most of the time it just happens to a random game.

The console is like 5 or 6 years old, so maybe it is just wearing down or something like that...?

Offline Karma

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2010, 01:17:45 PM »
Corruption happening on a brand new card seems pretty damning to the console. *shrugs* I can't imagine what else it would be.

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2010, 02:07:43 PM »
*Sighs*  From everything that I have found, it looks like I need a new console.  And I was just at a game store last night...

Anyway, thank you Karma!  *Hugs*

Offline Karma

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2010, 02:08:52 PM »
*hugs* I hope that IS the problem, cause otherwise, who knows. @_@

Offline DrFier

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2010, 06:33:42 PM »
Be careful of what you delete! some games don't use the standardized format for PS2 memory card data, so what the memory browser tells you is corrupted could actually be perfectly fine data in a bad format, which can be read just fine by the game that made it.