Update: I do have access to the infamous Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil module.
So here's my "DM List of Official Demands":
1. Character creation 32 pt stat buy, with a small twist. Once you have selected a race and allocated your stats, please submit both to me. I will then toss a a few dice and you will either be just an ordinary person (thus gaining nothing; most likely), be "cursed" and perhaps gain a small special flaw or "curse" (small chance), or be destined for greatness (aka truly heroic; again small chance)..perhaps bonus stat points, a special minor ability, etc. Character starting gold will be as per standard rules, all characters will begin play as 4th level.
2. Allowed Sources: ANY (3.0 and 3.5; 3.5 updates to any 3.0 rules will always take precedence). The d20 SRD is probably your best "one stop" shop for online source for 3.5 Core Rules. If I don't have a book, it either doesn't exist and you're pulling my leg or I probably know someone who has it. If I do rule something out, it will be on a case by case basis. For now though, anything that was in print by Wizards is fair game. Though as the DM I do reserve the right to make fair modifications for balance, especially to 3.0 sources that were never updated.
3. Basic Setting: For simplicity and for my personal comfort...we're going to drop the Temple in the Forgotten Realms. So this means, psionics while allowable are essentially treated as an alternative form of magic and are subject to spell resistance; their power lies in the fact that no one truly understands them, and that they can be activated with a mere thought essentially.
4. And now the big one.... while I'd rather stick to a party of relatively normal characters. Meaning that perhaps the most unusual race might be a drow or a deep gnome or something of the sorts...meaning nothing with an insane ECL/LA. I do have a special rule set which I will be putting up to handle such cases. These rules cover both standard core races, races like drow or deep gnomes, to crazy things like mind flayers and celestials.
5. Character backgrounds: Be creative but keep one thing in mind, the "group" has a few things in common. One of which will be revealed soon, but it is going to be part of my little twist to first and foremost have brought the group together both in one place and to have gotten to know each other a little bit. (We'll play out the "opening" so you can actually form perhaps at least a basic working relationship with each other...and depending on how things go...perhaps more, that's up to you guys.
I'm not the one running any of those subplots.) The other thing you will have in common is that each and everyone of you somewhere along the lines learned to speak and read/write elven (bonus language granted by your DM, does not count against any of your normally granted bonus languages).
6. Have FUN! And may the Temple consume your soul.... oh wait, did I say that last part out loud..... oops, you weren't supposed to hear that.
EDIT: Clarification Additions
1. The "flaws" or bonuses you may gain by random chance will have some impact on the game but won't be anything completely earth shattering. Although there is the rarest of the rare chance that you could perhaps end up with say like a "freebie" 18 ability score or end up with a truly "epic" hero and be "chosen" by the gods to do great things. Now whether you do said things would be entirely up to you, but you'd have better ability scores and a few abilities to help accomplish whatever goals the gods had in mind for you.
2. Allowed Sources: Yes I said ANY. But everything must meet basic approval as typical for any game. Also standard character builds, no gestalt builds (unless we end up with an exceptionally small group).