You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

December 10, 2016, 12:46:27 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Send us your theme!

Hark!  The Herald!
Holiday Issue 2016

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: Referral Link Hits  (Read 734 times)

Offline Beguile's MistressTopic starter

• Time flies like an arrow ~ Fruit flies like a banana ~ Elliquiy's Fair-E Godmother
  • Dame
  • Carnite
  • Location: Faeleacanvald ~ The Steeler Nation ~ Home of Lord Stanley's Cup 2016 ~ She won't stay throwed! ~ 48\22-5\1\11-5\7
  • Perpetual Notion Machine ~ 'What if...?'
  • My Role Play Preferences
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 3
Referral Link Hits
« on: November 12, 2009, 10:04:19 AM »
I've been looking on the site for an answer to this question for some time now an can't find anything that will explain and item on the Summary page of my profile.

Below "Referrals:"  is an item labeled "Referral Link Hits" followed by a number.  The number changes periodically.  It was 5 the other day and now it's 7.

What is a Referral Link Hit and where does the number come from.  Why does it change?
« Last Edit: November 12, 2009, 01:49:45 PM by Beguile's Mistress »

Online Oniya

• StoreHouse of Useless Trivia
  • Oracle
  • Carnite
  • Location: Just bouncing through. Hi! City of Roses, Pennsylvania
  • One bad Motokifuka. Also cute and FLUFFY!
  • View My Rolls
Re: Referral Link Hits
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2009, 10:56:55 AM »
Referral links are keyed to individual members as a way of tracking where new members are coming from.  If you put that link in a signature or on a website to promote Elliquiy, then anyone who visits the site by clicking on that link will add one to your 'referral hits'.  If they actually create an account, you'll see their name under 'Referred Members', and your username will show up under 'Referred By' on their profile.

• Time flies like an arrow ~ Fruit flies like a banana ~ Elliquiy's Fair-E Godmother
  • Dame
  • Carnite
  • Location: Faeleacanvald ~ The Steeler Nation ~ Home of Lord Stanley's Cup 2016 ~ She won't stay throwed! ~ 48\22-5\1\11-5\7
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2009, 11:14:01 AM »
Thank you.  I don't recall publishing the link anywhere, however and it isn't in my signature.  It could be somewhere I'm unaware of or that I've forgotten about, but I don't think so.

In any case, thank you for the explanation. 

Offline Will

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2009, 11:28:54 AM »
I've always wondered how we can get hits on our referral link when we haven't posted it anywhere.  ???

Online Oniya

• Oracle
  • Carnite
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2009, 11:33:30 AM »
That's an interesting point.  I hadn't checked my own 'hits' until you mentioned that, and I have 6.  I'm pretty sure I haven't put mine in a sig either...

• Dame
  • Carnite
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2009, 11:54:19 AM »
I thought about it and all I could deduce is that someone who visits our profile page clicks the link to see what it does.  I don't know if that would work or not.

Offline Will

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2009, 11:56:03 AM »
It seems like members who were already registered wouldn't count, but unregistered people can't see profiles to begin with, which should be the only place my link can be found.  Very puzzling.

Offline Vekseid

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2009, 01:44:48 PM »
Your ons and offs profile triggers the referral process regardless of whether or not you have unchecked the 'private' box, so if a nonmember clicks the profile it will trigger, apparently.

Online Oniya

• Oracle
  • Carnite
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2009, 01:47:26 PM »
Iiinteresting.  I guess someone liking your O/Os would be a bit like a referral.  What if the same person checks out several profiles before joining?  What name would they get tagged with?

Offline Vekseid

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2009, 05:19:09 PM »
Iiinteresting.  I guess someone liking your O/Os would be a bit like a referral.  What if the same person checks out several profiles before joining?  What name would they get tagged with?

It uses the referral code, so it picks up the last one seen straight, I believe.

Offline Talia

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2009, 07:23:33 PM »
Is there a way to take the referral code off?

Sorry, I guess you can't then if it does it automatically.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2009, 07:26:56 PM by Laurrel »