You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

December 06, 2016, 02:15:45 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Send us your theme!

Hark!  The Herald!
Holiday Issue 2016

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: Portuguese Translation  (Read 354 times)

Offline MacheteTopic starter

Portuguese Translation
« on: September 27, 2009, 02:35:38 PM »
I am working on a Brazilian character nicknamed "the Serpent".  Promt, the most reliable translator I have found, translates "serpent" as "serpente".  Among the translations for "the" is "a".  However, the software does not translate "the serpent" collectively.  What is the correct translation for "the serpent"?

Online Lilias

Re: Portuguese Translation
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2009, 03:06:39 PM »
Given that the noun is feminine, it takes the feminine article. Therefore, 'a serpente'.

Offline MacheteTopic starter

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2009, 03:18:19 PM »
That is actually what I thought it was.

Whenever I tried to translate "little [noun]", Promt gives me "pouco(a) [noun]".  I was expecting the translation to be "[suffixed noun]", similar to names, for example Ronaldinho.  This leads me to believe the suffixes, such as -inho(a), are only used for names.  Is this correct?

Online Lilias

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2009, 03:22:18 PM »
No, not really... but constructions with suffixes are trickier for such a medium to convey properly. Perhaps checking out WordReference would supplement the translator you use.

Offline Chevalier des Poissons

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2009, 04:06:58 PM »
No.

As a Brazilian, myself, I beg you to ignore any internet tools. They were all created by foreigners that think portuguese and spanish are the same.

Please, PM me with whatever you want to translate to portuguese and I will be glad to help you even with cultural references.