Deep beneath the surface world of Faerun, there rests a dark kingdom steeped in evil and treachery. This is the realm of the drow, the dark elf cousins of the surface elves. They exist in a matriarchal society, where females are dominate over males. The social caste is made of houses, each higher in society than the next. In such a hostile and volatile world, trust is nonexistent, and perhaps your worst enemy is the family around you.
These devious and cunning creatures are in service to Lolth, the Spider Queen. She is the deity of these fiends, and where they gain inspiration for their evil and heinous acts. The drow love nothing more than to torture those inferior to them and to kill surface elves, their hated kin. They would truly be a terrible force were it not for the drow penchant for warring among its own...nearly once a month, one house goes to war with another, all for the chance to rise higher in status. The only way to do that is to crush the house above you, and to ascend to the new rank and power.
At the top of this unstable pyramid rests the First House, House Baenre. Among the treacherous, they are the most deceitful. Among the dangerous, they are the most deadly. Among those in favor of Lolth, they are her favorite, but the Spider Queen is a fickle being, and when one falls from the top, it's a long way to the bottom.
A Few House Rules
1. No God-moding: This goes without saying. Not every attack has to hit you, but you won't be able to dodge every attack, either.
2. Paragraph Posting: Please! Two to three sentences is good for a post, but also try to be as descriptive as possible.
3. Activity: Try to post often, so that nobody falls behind or gets too far ahead.
4. One profile per player, please.
5. Have fun with your devious little characters
Positions in the House
Matron Mother: The leader of the house, the highest ranking female figurehead. She is the ultimate ruler of the house, the one that has to ensure the continued favor of Lolth, and the one that decides the punishment for those wayward children who threaten their status, favor with their deity, or safety. There is only one Matron Mother, so if you'd like the position, PM me with your profile, and I'll decide on who fits the position best.
Priestess: This is the position of all high-ranking female nobles in the House. Normally, they are clerics of Lolth, those who pray to her daily, perform her wishes, and are the advisory council to the Matron Mother. There is room for four Priestesses in the rp, so first come first serve.
Weapon Master: One of the two highest positions that a male drow can reach within a house, the Weapon Master is the deadliest male among his family. He likely has mastery of many types of drow weaponry, and has either killed his father to take the role, or a weaker sibling. His responsibilities include leading raids on other houses, raids on the surface world, and training the regular house soldiers for war. There is only one Weapon Master per House, so PM me with your profile, and I'll decide on who fits the position best.
High Mage: Reserved for Dark Clown
House Soldier: This is the common rank of a male drow among drow society. They are warriors in service of the House, and much of their time is spent training in battle under the tutoring of the House Weapon Master. Any male can be a House Soldier, as even the weakest of drow warrior is an equal match for any human fighter.
Please use the following format for your characters:
Name: (For a list of drow names, click here)
Age: (Drow reach maturity at 100 years of age, what would be 20 years of age by human standards)
Sex: (Male or Female)
Position: (From those stated above)
Appearance: (Deviant Art has a lot of good images of drow)
Weapons & Magical Items:(Typically drow use sleep-poison tipped darts for their hand crossbows, as well as scimitars, and whips)
1. Every character will be part of House Baenre, though they don't necessarily have to be born a Baenre. Often when one house crushes another in inter-house wars, they will 'adopt' the defeated nobles in an effort to further strengthen their might. If you don't want to play as a drow, you can take the roll of one of the House slaves.
2. Every drow of noble birth is given a magical brooch bearing the House Insignia. For House Baenre, the brooch is enchanted with a levitation spell that lasts for five minutes per use. The insignia is a pitch black spider with a silver hourglass on the body.
3. The drow city where House Baenre rules is called Menzoberranzan. It's part of the Underdark, an underground realm beneath the surface of Faerun.
4. Drow often perform surface raids for slaves. These slaves can be orcs, bugbears, goblins, gnomes, dwarves, humans, and kobolds. Typically, the only house slaves are humans or gnomes, the rest seen as good only for physical labor.
5. Being underground, the giant cavern that is Menzoberranzan is lit by magical fires that last for a day's time. Time is kept by a large spire known as Narbondel. Every morning, the local High Mage of the ruling house casts an incantation into the base. As each hour passes, a ring of blue light moves upward from the base, until it reaches the top of the spire. A full cycle takes 24 hours.
6. Every drow attends one of three schools. The first is Melee-Magthere. It's the school for males who wish to take the warrior's path. The second is Archain, the school for males who wish to follow the path of the arcane arts. And the third is for females only, called Matronis, where the young priestesses go to study the clerical arts and rituals associated with Lolth and to learn duties required of them for their house.