Freeform Original Superhero Game Interest Check [All Welcome]

Started by AndyZ, May 23, 2024, 01:54:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AndyZ

People used to joke that December 2012 would be the end of an age.  It was, it was just that when it happened, nobody noticed until 2025 or so.  Anyone conceived on or after December 21, 2012 had a roughly one percent change of being born with superpowers which would manifest during puberty or after.  It is now the year 2037.

Much of 2025 onward had the start of people with sudden superpowers appearing, sometimes with other superpowered people stopping them.  A few superheroes joined up with law enforcement, but their families were quickly targeted when their identities became public.

Around 2030, various governmental failures started happening around the world.  2036 was famous for a superpowered individual becoming President thanks to the ability of supernatural charisma and persuasion, which worked even over technology.  Thankfully, mutants seem to be immune to it, but before anyone fully recognized the effects, the 35 years old was changed, votes were in, and further elections were suspended.  Other countries besides America are faring far worse; at least the American President can't affect mutants.

The resistance formed primarily with Oracle, a mutant with powerful abilities of precognition who set various countereffects in motion well before tragedies began.  When the supervillains found her, they thought they killed her, but she remains comatose and hospitalized thanks to her foresight, still working through a Brain Computer Interface.

Among those countereffects was to help set up an international task force.  Various mutants - some of whom already had taken to fighting crime in their own cities, some of whom had only just learned of their abilities and would be trainees - would be given proper military training in an abandoned US military base.  Their goal: free not only America but the various other countries and help set up a proper system of government where mutants and mundanes  are equal.

So, that's the idea I had while swimming today.  I'd absolutely want to have a Co-GM to help with villains if I really did this, but we'll see if there's interest.

Ideally, players would either be Experienced or Trainees.  If you're Experienced, maybe you had some training (think a low-key version of Xavier's School that would have been shut down by now) or maybe you just decided to put on a mask and Halloween costume and go out to your local city to keep it safe.  Either way, the advantage over being a Trainee is field experience, but the disadvantage is that the papers have reported your codename and abilities, though they kept your face hidden out of respect for superheroes.

In my experience, games work best when nobody really knows each other at the start and can RP meeting up.

Characters can have up to two powers, or one extremely strong power, but if you have more than one basic power, you are expected to conjoin it with some sort of flaw.  The powers can help deal with your flaw, but not completely remove it, like how Daredevil can't really see color but can tell where everything in a room is.  As another example, Oracle can still interface with the world and technology but her body remains comatose and immobile.

Characters of all genders, sexualities, and whatever are welcome.  I expect there to be a decent amount of getting it on.  One curiosity of mutation is that a higher percentage than normal of mutants can't have children, but according to Oracle, even two fertile mutants having a child has the same low probability that the child will be a mutant.

A lot of the RP is going to be in the military base, with various training going on, people meeting in pairs or small groups.  Eventually, small groups may be sent out to deal with supervillains if we get things going well enough, but I'd definitely want someone to help with villains before we did that.

I have some questions for anyone who'd be interested, but all of the questions are optional.  I'm still not 100% I could run this.

1.) Any codename and faceclaim preferences?  These are best done first come first served, and I don't mind if they're used by comic characters so long as they're not copies of those characters.  The Oracle I'm listing is nothing like Barbara Gordon.

2.) Where on Elliquiy would you want this set?  I expect it to be Bondage Exotic, but if we have lots of people who want NC or Extreme and no objections to that, I can accommodate.  I plan to have a spot on the sheet for asking how far people are willing to go in a loss and I expect that to be followed by any supervillains.

3.) Any ideas for superpowers?  Are you thinking Experienced or Trainee?  It's totally cool if you don't know yet, but the more I know about what people want, the better I can plan.

4.) Anything else I should know?  I'm welcome to hear more feedback and the like.

Again, it's very cool if you can only answer one or two of these questions, or if you just want to say that you're interested but have no ideas yet.

1.) Any codename and faceclaim preferences?
2.) Where on Elliquiy would you want this set?
3.) Any ideas for superpowers?  Are you thinking Experienced or Trainee?
4.) Anything else I should know?
Ons/Offs   -  My schedule and A/As   -    Advice for GMs on Elliquiy

If I've owed you a post for at least a week, poke me.

AndyZ

Addendum: I may have a third branch Military that aids in training but doesn’t have powers and isn’t subject to the age cap that other characters would be.  It’s unlikely they would go on missions but they’d be responsible for training and the like.  The question is whether players would really be interested in that.

AndyZ

Maybe I should avoid having any sort of Q&A and just see if people are interested at all?

Rashol

Definitely curious, but at the moment dead for ideas.

I'll fill out the Q/A later. The only one I can answer right now is

"Trainee"

AndyZ

Quote from: Rashol on May 24, 2024, 02:50:34 PMDefinitely curious, but at the moment dead for ideas.

I'll fill out the Q/A later. The only one I can answer right now is

"Trainee"

Could do a Latent, a character where nobody’s sure what their power even is yet, just that Oracle says they’re supposed to be recruited.  Then we can just figure out power later.

Z Kami

AndyZ