You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

December 09, 2016, 09:19:24 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Send us your theme!

Hark!  The Herald!
Holiday Issue 2016

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: Laurell K. Hamilton's "Merry Gentry" Interest check  (Read 1456 times)

Offline purpleartemis00Topic starter

Laurell K. Hamilton's "Merry Gentry" Interest check
« on: April 24, 2009, 07:42:16 PM »
I don't know how many people would be interested, but...

I envision a group of exiles, much like Merry and her men, living outside of the sithen and trying to return.

They could either be Merry and her suitors, with the addition of some females, or a completely separate group of Sidhe. It might be interesting to do use the Seelie, rather than Unseelie, but I'm open to anything.

Let me know if you are interested.

*Whoops, If everything I just said made no sense, then pick up a copy of Laurell K. Hamilton's A Kiss of Shadows or check the wiki out.

Offline HairyHeretic

• Lei varai barbu - The true bearded one
  • Knight
  • Addict
  • And the Scorpion said "Little frog .. I can swim."
  • My Role Play Preferences
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 1
Re: Laurell K. Hamilton's "Merry Gentry" Interest check
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2009, 07:57:40 PM »
I think Merry has added some females to her guards in the last book or two, but I presume you're not wanting to play it as canon?

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2009, 08:03:11 PM »
No, just a guideline. Their plots would obviously require way more participants than a small RP could provide. I'd also like to add the women as participants, rather than merely guards (as they are in the books).
« Last Edit: April 24, 2009, 08:05:44 PM by purpleartemis00 »

Offline Satnslillgrl

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2009, 08:23:10 PM »
OMG! She's my favorite author. But, unfortunately, that is the reason I couldn't pull off doing an RP with her characters. I don't Think I'd be able to pull it off right. I'll definitely read it when you get it started though! Good luck!

Offline TheHatintheCat

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2009, 11:54:11 PM »
I've not read all the books oh my god Yes I am Interested!

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2009, 11:55:26 PM »
Great, if I generate maybe four or five, then I'll add an OOC thread.

Offline Rhapsody

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2009, 11:56:04 PM »
I think I make 5. 

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2009, 12:00:39 AM »
I think I make 5. 
I've only got myself, Cat and you so far, but I really hope that it takes off.

Oh, by the way, would either of you be interested in playing Merry? I want to be GM, but I'm more interested in being a female guard.

Offline Rhapsody

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2009, 12:04:27 AM »
I was more interested in your idea of original characters living in the same universe, to be honest. 

Online Dim Hon

• The Horrible, Lovely Thing || The Sorcerer's Familiar || Not This || Sinners' Nadir || Desire of the Endless || More Dark In Me Than Bones || St. Fucking
  • Oracle
  • Carnite
  • The Aforementioned Darkness
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 19
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2009, 12:05:28 AM »
I'm interested - but I'm not sure I should be taking on another game... pencil me in, and I'll try to get up to speed with my other games. ^_^

I'd preferably play a guard character, with questionable loyalties. Male or female, I'm fine with either.

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2009, 12:10:41 AM »
I was more interested in your idea of original characters living in the same universe, to be honest. 

Great, would you be interested in a leadership character, a sidhe like Merry or another set-up where everyone is on equal footing?

I'm interested - but I'm not sure I should be taking on another game... pencil me in, and I'll try to get up to speed with my other games. ^_^

I'd preferably play a guard character, with questionable loyalties. Male or female, I'm fine with either.

*pencils* Hope you can get to it. We'd love to have you!

Oh by the way, I'm hopeless when it comes to systems, other than simple posting order or the like... Is everyone okay with freeform?

Online Dim Hon

• The Horrible, Lovely Thing || The Sorcerer's Familiar || Not This || Sinners' Nadir || Desire of the Endless || More Dark In Me Than Bones || St. Fucking
  • Oracle
  • Carnite
  • The Aforementioned Darkness
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 19
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2009, 12:13:18 AM »
More than okay. I'm a right dunce when it comes to systems. ^_^

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2009, 12:28:25 AM »
More than okay. I'm a right dunce when it comes to systems. ^_^

I know, dice flying and stat gains... It's all Greek to moi!

Offline Rhapsody

« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2009, 01:19:14 AM »
Great, would you be interested in a leadership character, a sidhe like Merry or another set-up where everyone is on equal footing?

I'm honestly not sure how well I'd do in a leadership role like that; I'd be much more comfortable as perhaps someone on almost-equal footing?

« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2009, 01:25:24 AM »
I'd like that if everyone's okay with it! Like a group of exiled Sidhe who live with another. Maybe, with some lesser fey, if anyone is interested in playing them.

Offline kylie

• Bratty Princess of Twisty, Creeping Secrets. Frilly | Fussy | Framed | Dreamy | Glam | Risky | Sporty | Rapt | Tease | Ironic | Shadowed | Struggling | Whispery | Bespelled
  • Liege
  • Enchanter
  • Darkly sweet femme for rich & insidious scenarios.
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2009, 05:36:44 AM »
I'm interested, probably more in non-canon characters.  Love Hamilton, but no way I'm going to near emulate her writing style. 

More partial to quasi-equals, or at least a play of different types of strengths.  I spread my attentions around and tend to be a little critical, so it takes a certain definite "click" before I really want to lead anything.  On the other hand, I don't tend to enjoy super-rigid hierarchies - especially D/s or "total control" types.  Some people are good at writing them collaboratively, but sometimes they turn into a lot of work and/or a very narrow path for one side.  Just my experience of it.

I also like the idea of more female characters with serious positions, but not terribly picky in this regard.

Offline HairyHeretic

• Lei varai barbu - The true bearded one
  • Knight
  • Addict
  • And the Scorpion said "Little frog .. I can swim."
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2009, 06:55:27 AM »
I've been lurking behind the GMs screen for over 20 years, but I'm not sure off the top of my head of any game system that would suit this. Freeform would probably work best.

By lesser fey, are you talking the demi-fey, the likes of brownies, or goblins / half goblins?

Offline Krule

« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2009, 08:42:28 AM »
I would be most interested in playing a sidhe in this sort of situation, and a unique group of characters would be preferred, but I'd be interested in playing

« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2009, 12:19:47 PM »

Great! I'll start work on an OOC thread, looks like we've got enough interest.

I've been lurking behind the GMs screen for over 20 years, but I'm not sure off the top of my head of any game system that would suit this. Freeform would probably work best.

By lesser fey, are you talking the demi-fey, the likes of brownies, or goblins / half goblins?
Demi-fey would be a possibility, but I was mainly thinking the more-humanoid of the goblins, sluagh, and brownies. Mostly half-sidhe mixes, so that things don't get too crazy. But if someone wants to play red-cap, demi-fey or a nightflyer,that's alright by me!

On the other hand, I don't tend to enjoy super-rigid hierarchies - especially D/s or "total control" types.  Some people are good at writing them collaboratively, but sometimes they turn into a lot of work and/or a very narrow path for one side.  Just my experience of it.

I also like the idea of more female characters with serious positions, but not terribly picky in this regard.

I'm not interested in developing a super-strict hierarchy for it. I think that if players are interested in develop a D/s relationship, they should feel free, but I don't see starting off with the group in submission.

Okay... Making the OOC thread. I'll post a link here. I should be finished before tomorrow.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2009, 05:33:15 PM by purpleartemis00 »

« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2009, 05:31:06 PM »
Okay, I've got an OOc thread and a charcter thread up. Links below...

Here’s a link to the OOC thread.

Create your character and post them in the Character thread.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2009, 05:32:07 PM by purpleartemis00 »

Offline kitten

« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2009, 07:50:31 PM »
I'm interested if its still open *claps* Love her books.

« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2009, 10:25:06 PM »
Absolutely. Feel free to add a character!

Offline Fatalis

« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2009, 05:45:30 PM »
I love her books!! I have read just about all of them and hell yeah a story based on them that would rock.. just hit me up or send me a message.

Offline Cold Heritage

« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2009, 06:21:29 PM »
Could I try to play with you all? I've read a couple of the books, but my celtic folklore isn't that strong. I'm also new and unproven, so I can see why I'd be undesirable.

« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2009, 06:25:59 PM »
Could I try to play with you all? I've read a couple of the books, but my celtic folklore isn't that strong. I'm also new and unproven, so I can see why I'd be undesirable.
I think that if you've read a few of the books and you take the time to follow that world as canon, then you should be fine.

As to being new and unproven. I've only been here for, like, a week.

Feel free to take on as much as you would like. We'd love to have you!