Question regarding cosplay pics

Started by Captain Maltese, November 29, 2022, 06:09:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Maltese

I want to make a cosplay thread for the cosplayers here. I've been doing cosplay for more than 20 years so it's not a passing interest. As a craft it includes sewing, shaping, leatherwork, foamcraft, acting, some times welding, capturing not just the looks but the essence of a character. There should be plenty to discuss. I want to put it in the art/media/music subforum as it is definitely an artform. However, obviously, posting pics of ourselves in costumes is a big no-no. But according to the rules, neither can pics of the relevant characters and costumes be posted unless it is in the finders/seekers subforum where the handcraft and design art of making costumes isn't an obvious topic. Plus there's already a cosplay thread there dedicated to just admiring costume pics that I don't want to swamp or compete with. So how does this work out?

Posting status:  25th December: Up To Date 5 of 9 : last month 2, this month 5, total 38 posts for 2023.

O/O            Current stories

Oniya

Calling it something like 'Cosplay Discussion' should distinguish it enough to avoid 'competition.'
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Captain Maltese

You are saying it should be placed in the finders and seekers category?

Posting status:  25th December: Up To Date 5 of 9 : last month 2, this month 5, total 38 posts for 2023.

Oniya

The rules are in place to prevent people from coming to false conclusions about the original author of a work.  We have had some issues with that in the past.  Personally, I think you'd get more traffic and participation in a discussion thread if it was found in either On or Off Topic as people tend to expect either image-heavy threads (in F&S) or images of personal projects (the main A/M/M board).  If you intend to allow personal imagery, a member-side board would obviously be preferable.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Captain Maltese

While On or Off Topic sounds fair enough to me, I think my English skills are failing me today for which I apologize. What is a member-side board in this reference, and what does personal imagery mean? I do not expect anyone to be allowed to post pictures of themselves in costume other than in the member photos thread.

Oniya

Quote from: Captain Maltese on November 29, 2022, 02:31:02 PM
While On or Off Topic sounds fair enough to me, I think my English skills are failing me today for which I apologize. What is a member-side board in this reference, and what does personal imagery mean? I do not expect anyone to be allowed to post pictures of themselves in costume other than in the member photos thread.

Member-side would be the part of the forum that only members can view.  Off-Topic is on the public side of the forum, and would allow non-members to read and participate.   Personal imagery would be pictures that might reveal personal details.  As an example, if I had an image that featured a particularly local convention, I would be less inclined to share it in a part of the forum that bots and guests could view.

Captain Maltese

Ah, I get you now.

This was trickier to decide than I expected. Cosplaying is very much a craft and an art. But if A/M/M is mainly a place to showcase rather than discuss then I'll happily go for On Topic. Thank you Oniya.