You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

December 08, 2016, 11:51:34 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Send us your theme!

Hark!  The Herald!
Holiday Issue 2016

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: Doing research  (Read 327 times)

Offline SkyeTopic starter

Doing research
« on: April 14, 2009, 04:48:46 PM »
In attempts to be accurate in an off site story, a question arose. Silly, but enigmatic.

If a street is wet and a car skids, can the smell of burnt rubber announce itself?

Some people say yes (because it's internal), others say no (just because). What do YOU say people of E?
« Last Edit: April 14, 2009, 04:49:52 PM by Reign »

Offline Maeven

Re: Doing research
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2009, 05:29:20 PM »
Well... if the car is skidding because it's slippery, then that means there's a lack of friction between the tire and the road.  Friction is mechanical heat.

So, my guess would be that no, you wouldn't smell burnt rubber because the rubber wouldn't have heated up enough to burn. I could be completely off though...*shrugs* 

Offline Will

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2009, 05:46:38 PM »
Hmm... I would think that if it's making a loud skidding noise then there's at least some friction going on.  If that's the case, then the rubber would probably burn eventually.  You might just have to sit there and spin out for a while.  Maybe quite a while.

Just a guess.

Offline Oniya

• StoreHouse of Useless Trivia
  • Oracle
  • Carnite
  • Location: Just bouncing through. Hi! City of Roses, Pennsylvania
  • One bad Motokifuka. Also cute and FLUFFY!
  • My Role Play Preferences
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 3
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2009, 08:03:48 PM »
The few times that I've skidded due to weather, there was neither sound nor smell.  My husband (who spun out on black ice this winter) confirmed this for me.  There's only that sudden realization that you are not controlling where the car is going.