You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

January 21, 2018, 08:54:45 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Send us your theme!

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: Update installation woes  (Read 222 times)

Offline vysethethirdTopic starter

Update installation woes
« on: November 22, 2017, 09:54:26 PM »
Might as well see if I can get some help here. Granted, I have used google to try and look this up, but so far have not had much luck in finding a solution for the current update. And this update seems to have been a problem ever since Halloween I might add. I almost am wondering if my laptop is just dated (It's a little over 6 years old) but it's managed to hold up quite well. Anyway, the issue is that when I restart and the update process begins, it gets to about 34% installation and suddenly the screen goes blank (black screen, but still having some form of light) and the fan seems to grow louder in noise. I have tried turning off the wireless connection to trying a 'Clean boot' (which I am still unsure if I should turn off all functions in startup).

The only thing I have noticed odd is a dxkrnl error that has only occurred twice so far in the past... 3 weeks. I also know that there is a Windows 10 security update that also seems to be part of the update as well. I really am frustrated by this update, seeing as it always stalls out and then I have to have the recovery option go through its process with each restart.

If more information is needed, I will provide it if needed.

Offline Vekseid

Re: Update installation woes
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2017, 11:35:31 AM »
it may help to find out what the update itself is?

Offline vysethethirdTopic starter

Re: Update installation woes
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2017, 12:39:48 PM »
Definition Update for Windows Defender - KB2267602 (Definition 1.257.890.0)

That is the one I just downloaded, but not sure if that is the update that tries to install when rebooted.

Could also be 'Update for Windows 10 Version 1511 for x64-based Systems (KB4023057)' or '(KB4033631)', though they are claimed to have successfully installed last Thursday (11/16/2017).

Then again, could be the Window's 10 upgrade assist causing the issue. Might have to reboot later and see.