You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

September 27, 2021, 03:16:37 pm

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Platinum Send us your theme!

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: Dark Avengers: A Villainous Marvel RPG  (Read 1298 times)

Offline KadiganTopic starter

• Lady
  • Seducer
  • A placeholder by any other name....
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 2
Dark Avengers: A Villainous Marvel RPG
« on: October 06, 2017, 05:21:37 pm »
It’s said that everyone is the hero of their own story. Overcome obstacles, rise up, meet the challenges. That if they lived their life as a good person, did what was asked of them, the universe would reward them with sunshine and ponies and candy and all sorts of great things. 

What a total crock.

There are people in the world who are most definitely not heroes, who have still over come adversities, by crushing them. Who have risen up, on the backs of others. Who have won the challenges, by cheating. But what do they do when they’re the ones being oppressed by others? Who does a criminal go to in their time of need? The answer is simple, more powerful criminals of course.

The Dark Avengers was originally formed by Norman Osborn, to defend the world, his interests, and their lives and not necessarily in that order. When he fell from power he attempted once again, but each time was about gaining public trust, trying to conquer the world and showing up his rivals, and really who needs all that nonsense?

One of his former members took the idea, a group of villains working together for their common interests, and moved it away from the public eye. She gathered together those who wanted more then the next job and the next job, who wanted to build towards a stable life…a life of crime, but a life nonetheless. Morgan LeFay abduct your relative for a blood sacrifice? They’ll help. Dr Doom threatening your tiny nation state? Doombots are fun to smash. Need someone to steal from a bank? Under their paygrade…steal from Roxxon and their massive army of mini hulks? That’s more their speed.

Their fees are negotiable, their morals are flexible, your spine is breakable if you try and screw them over. Pay them and they’re there till the job’s done, because a satisfied customer is a repeat customer.

So…sort of an interest check for a villainous Marvel RPG game. Freeform, with the basic concept outlined above. A team is formed, they’re hired out to solve the types of problems the Avengers might actually solve..but for evil people. And with less concern about collateral damage.  So…if anyone’s interested let me know. If not, well..it sounded good in my head!

Online firepyre

• Lord
  • Seducer
  • Dare you?
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 0
Re: Dark Avengers: A Villainous Marvel RPG
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2017, 06:07:04 pm »
I'm not usually one for superhero games, but I think this idea is fantastic. Just to clarify though, would they be OCs or cannon villains?

• Lady
  • Seducer
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2017, 06:15:31 pm »
Well, my preference would be canon ones. I'll leave it open for discussion though if there's enough interest. My thinking is always there's so many times we can play certain characters...I'd love to explore others. My personal favorite villain crush right now is Superia, if you thought evil Captain Marvel powers you wouldn't be off.

Offline Elven Sex Goddess

• All doorways lead to adventure.
  • Lady
  • Addict
  • "Imagination is the fruit of sensuality"
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 1
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2017, 10:31:51 pm »
Expressing interest with using Calypso

• Lady
  • Seducer
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2017, 07:00:53 am »
Always nice to have a magic user about. Here's hoping there's more interest!

• Lady
  • Seducer
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2017, 12:53:54 pm »
A couple questions I've gotten in PM.

Smut will not be the focus of the game, it could occur..could not..

All chars would be 18 or older.

Power level, if you're familiar with the Bendis run of New Avengers, then that basically gives you an idea of the levels/balance...

Offline indarkestknight

• Lord
  • Enchanter
  • Is sex the question?
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2017, 03:50:19 pm »
Tentatively interested.

How closely will this hew to 616? Will versions of characters that more closely resemble, say, their MCU counterparts or counterparts from other film franchises, or Ultimate versions of characters be permitted?

• Lady
  • Seducer
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2017, 07:01:56 pm »
It's going to be closer to 616. I'm not above people using RL face claims for their characters ,and given that the Ultimate Universe has merged with 616 recently there are many villains from there that are up for grabs

Offline indarkestknight

• Lord
  • Enchanter
  • Is sex the question?
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2017, 09:15:39 pm »
Among those I've been considering were a Toad closer to the first X-men film's Toad (but I guess he's out) and Tyrone Cash from the Ultimate universe, but if neither is on the table, I'll chew on who else would be a good fit for the idea.

Offline Various

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2017, 09:39:45 pm »
Ruby Thursday (Thursday Rubenstein).

A mad scientist, in the 1970s she did two major things. First, she decided to replace her own head with a highly versatile, gumball-shaped, ruby red computer. Second, she ran for President against President Ford and Governor Carter, at least until the fact that she is a supervillain was revealed. She spent most of her time after that fighting the Defenders with some battles with other heroes mixed in. She commits crimes mainly for the sake of funding her research. Doctor Rubenstein is used to teamwork. She is a member of a group of D-list eccentrics called the Headmen.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2017, 09:41:15 pm by Various »

• Lady
  • Seducer
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2017, 09:20:00 am »
She would be good as well. Always good to have another scientist to talk shop with.

Online TheVillain

• Lord
  • Addict
  • Supervillain-For-Hire
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2017, 06:39:35 pm »
So I had an idea that's sort of a villainous Flatman mixed with Paper Doll. For the look, I'm going for something like DC's rarely used Flash villain The Folded Man. Which are the only three characters I can think of with anything like these powers. :P

Dr. Matt Ventura didn't want to become a villain. He really didn't. A physicist working on applications of quantum mechanics and dimensional physics, he genuinely didn't realize that Roxxon intended to misuse his technology, or that they'd cut a few corners. There was an accident, and you could call the results an explosion even if it is much weirder then that. If you find the site of the original accident it looks like someone meticulously painted a mural of the original lab allover the walls. Complete with dead bodies. And sometimes, something moves.

Dr. Ventura is a desperate man, trying to find a way to reverse his condition. Even if that requires theft and murder. His activities have gotten him the villain moniker "Flatline" and it seems like a cruel joke to him. He's officially listed as having the ability to make himself and other things, like people, Two-Dimensional but that's not quite true. Dr. Ventura is naturally Two-Dimensional now. He can become Three-Dimensional again temporarily by "stealing" the third dimension from other things, including people. In fact, something about the size, mass, and density simularities means that when he "flattens" a person he gets the most time as a Three-Dimensional being again.

Which, of course, usually kills the other person instantly...

• Lady
  • Seducer
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2017, 06:47:35 pm »
It's a nice concept but I'm still vaguely on the fence about using OC's. I just love the idea of exploring more of vilains we don't get to see much of to be honest.

So...basic head count...4-5 maybe? I was hoping for 6-7 interested before putting up profiles, etc.

So here's hoping more interest and that my shoddy ideas haven't scared anyone off yet.

Online TheVillain

• Lord
  • Addict
  • Supervillain-For-Hire
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2017, 08:14:01 pm »
I tried to go Canon but things sort of mutated. :P

Understood!

Offline Anna Katrine

• Lady
  • Enchanter
  • The apparently fucking boring one!
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2017, 04:14:15 am »
I'm putting My interest Down as well. First thought that popper in My head was either Black Cat or Beetle.
Don't know if they are too under/overpowered for the story :)

• Lady
  • Seducer
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2017, 03:59:11 pm »
Either one would be fine, if I had to pick one I'd say Beetle would be more versitile and having someone with armor around could be fun.

I'm going to toss up a profile thing here in the next day or so, if people are still interested.

Also, looking for someone to help GM bounce ideas off of etc etc if anyone's interested in that role

Offline Juggtacular

• WINTER HAS COME!!!!
  • Lord
  • Addict
  • Death Walks Tonight
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2017, 02:40:46 am »

Omega Red

Arkady Rossovich, also known as Omega Red. An Ex-Soviet Soldier turned war criminal turned science experiment gone as wrong as possible. His mutant healing abilities were so powerful that the Russian Government poked and prodded him for years, hoping to transform him into a loyal Super Soldier. Arkady's loyalty was only to himself however, and he escaped confinement once his upgrades were complete.

His machinations have gotten him into conflict with heroes several times over the years like Daredevil, the Avengers, etc... His main enemies are Wolverine and the X-Men however. He is constantly searching for the Carbonadium Synthesizer. The one device that can purify the radioactive isotopes contained in the Carbonadium tendrils implanted in his arms. With them gone, his one weakness will be gone as well, and he would become nearly unstoppable.

• Lady
  • Seducer
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2017, 08:54:22 pm »
So here it is. I didn't include a personality section, because to me that's what RP is for. People don't always act according to some guide line. We get mad, we get sad, etc etc. 

I threw in some details for my character, given that she's not terribly fleshed out origin wise (Though I did leave it a bit vague as to HOW she got the powers) and the last bit is more geared towards why she started the team. A personal motivation.

If you want to do a face claim for your character that’s fine, personally I enjoy  Once we get enough in I'll do up an OOC page then hopefully we can get started.

Code: [Select]
Code Name:

Name:

Player:

Backstory: (Doesn't have to be pages long, but maybe try to put a reason in why they want to join up)

Powers:

Picture:

Code Name: Superia

Name: Deidre Wentworth

Player: BarbaraGordon

Backstory: Deidre Wentworth, a scientist who majored in bio chemistry while at the same time dabbling in electrical engineering as a hobby, was poised to do great things in, and perhaps to, the world. Graduating at the top of her class, she was ready to take the world by storm. And then she received a message from the person closest to her, herself.

At some point in the future Deidre managed to master the art of temporal projection, sending her mind and its knowledge back in time into her younger body, altering her personal path. She became a self fulfilling loop. It also put her in the right time and place to receive her powers, though she’s never revealed to anyone save herself how exactly she managed to get those.

She had several ideas and schemes, some frankly more embarrassing then others but she chalked those up to issues with the temporal memory transmissions, and continued on. She attempted to create minions, such as Free Spirit and Snapdragon, and even joined AIM in an effort to gain access to more scientific knowledge (along the way acquiring the needed technology to send her memories into the past.) For a time she signed on with Norman Osborn’s attempt to supplant the Avengers, which ended in failure thanks in large part to his insanity.  Rudderless for a time, another temporal memory download gave her a horrifying vision of the future, not for the world or any sentimental nonsense but her, no achievements of note, nothing of consequence. She decided at that point to attempt a new idea, one that would insure that in a few years time she could retire from the “life” and devote herself to research again, with enough funds to last several lifetimes.

Powers: Superia possesses flight capabilities as well as superhuman strength, being strong enough to bloody an opponent with Hulk level strength with one punch. She can also fire concussive blasts from her hands. The source of these powers is not currently a known fact to anyone besides her.

Picture:

Online TheVillain

• Lord
  • Addict
  • Supervillain-For-Hire
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2017, 10:17:02 pm »
Sure, why not?

Code Name: Flatline

Name: Dr. Matt Ventura

Player: TheVillain

Backstory: He didn't want to become a villain, he really didn't. A brilliant phyicist that specialized in Quantum Mechanics and Dimensional Physics, Dr. Ventura was recruited for a joint venture with Roxxon and the United States Government. He didn't know corners were cut, but he found out when the dimensional shift machine they were working on exploded - for lack of better terms. Sealed in the lab by their bosses without a chance to escape, if you go back to the old lab you don't find a blown up lab, you find what looks like a detailed mural of a blown up lab. Complete with dead bodies.

A desperate man, Dr. Ventura is ultimately just trying to reverse his condition. Even if that requires theft and murder. Getting some payback against the Roxxon Executives and Government Officials that betrayed him is definitely something he likes too, but ultimately he just wants to be normal again. Because the accident has done something horrible too him, and this might be his only chance to undo the horror...

Powers:
2D Body - Flatline is now what has been dubbed a "2.1-Dimensional Lifeform". Humans require 3 Dimensions to survive, but Dr. Ventura's body is essentually 2 dimensional with a slow leak of dimensional energies keeping him alive. Flatline as such is completely flat and as such can slip between cracks, cling to flat surfaces, appears invisible when viewed from certain angles, is capable of some limited effects similiar to elasticity, and has unnaturally sharp edges that can be used to strike opponents. Flatline can step off from flat surfaces with some twists in his form to simulate some effects of having a 3D body, but his form is naturally 2D. Flatline can also temporarily become properly 3D, but at the expense of expending the dimensional energies keeping him alive at a faster rate.

Living Dimensional Rift - Able to perform some acts of manipulation of dimensional energies, Flatline can take nearby 3D objects and "flatten" them into 2D images of objects by syphoning the required dimensional energies. In fact to survive he needs to do this regularly. He can also do the process in reverse, take nearby 2D images and "inflate" them into 3D objects. However, this is a massive drain on the energies keeping him alive.

The efficiency of which he harvests the dimensioanl energies in turning an object from 3D to 2D varies based on mass, density, and composition of the original object. As such, to the horror of everyone around him, the process is most efficient when he "flattens" a person into a 2D image of a person. Since the human body requires 3 dimensions to survive, this usually kills the victim near-instantly if it's allowed to go to completion. Fortunately, an only partially-flattened victim will naturally absorb enough environmental dimensional energy to usually recover within a few hours.

Offline SithLordOfSnark

• Snarky Bastard | Loyal Friend | Video Gamer
  • Isolation
  • Enchanter
  • Join the Snark Side. We Have Cookies. And Snark.
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 3
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2017, 10:23:21 pm »
If you're still allowing people to join, I'm in. Will have my profile up soon when I'm told either way. :)