You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

December 08, 2016, 06:02:57 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Send us your theme!

Hark!  The Herald!
Holiday Issue 2016

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: The Depths of Stupidity  (Read 953 times)

Offline OldSchoolGamerTopic starter

The Depths of Stupidity
« on: December 16, 2008, 08:03:01 PM »
Browsing the Internet, I came across a news article announcing the discovery of a nugget of raw stupidity and unadulterated asshattery.  In a nutshell, the parents of a child they named Adolf Hitler are wondering just what all the fuss about the child's name is about:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081217/ap_on_fe_st/odd_hitler_cake

"Heath Campbell said he named his son after Adolf Hitler because he liked the name and because "no one else in the world would have that name." He sounded surprised by all the controversy the dispute had generated."

Offline Moondazed

• Hmm... plot or pleasure? Perhaps a bit of both...
  • Lady
  • Enchanter
  • I'm a switch, name your pleasure...
  • My Role Play Preferences
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 0
Re: The Depths of Stupidity
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2008, 08:10:36 PM »
That poor child.  Stupid morons *sigh*

Offline Avi

• I'll show you how to soar.
  • On Hiatus
  • Enchanter
  • Flying by the seat of his pants...
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2008, 10:09:14 PM »
That's like naming some kid Jeffrey Dahmer or Marilyn Manson... there is just way too much baggage to ever let that name be "normal" again.  I hope that kid gets his name legally changed as soon as he turns 18.  I would.

Offline The Overlord

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2008, 10:58:18 PM »
That's like naming some kid ...Marilyn Manson...

You mean Charles Manson? Charles was the mass murdererůMarilyn Manson can't be accused of anything other than widening the generation gap a little bit further in true rock star fashion.

Offline Avi

• I'll show you how to soar.
  • On Hiatus
  • Enchanter
  • Flying by the seat of his pants...
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2008, 11:50:28 PM »
Yeah, my bad. >_<  I pulled a brain fart there.

Offline Zeitgeist

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2008, 02:34:10 PM »
I'm still chuckling over asshattery. ROFL!

Online Oniya

• StoreHouse of Useless Trivia
  • Oracle
  • Carnite
  • Location: Just bouncing through. Hi! City of Roses, Pennsylvania
  • One bad Motokifuka. Also cute and FLUFFY!
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 3
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2008, 02:45:59 PM »
Browsing the Internet, I came across a news article announcing the discovery of a nugget of raw stupidity and unadulterated asshattery.  In a nutshell, the parents of a child they named Adolf Hitler are wondering just what all the fuss about the child's name is about:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081217/ap_on_fe_st/odd_hitler_cake

"Heath Campbell said he named his son after Adolf Hitler because he liked the name and because "no one else in the world would have that name." He sounded surprised by all the controversy the dispute had generated."

The Campbells' two other children are named JoyceLynn Aryan Nation Campbell, who turns 2 in a few months, and Honszlynn Hinler Jeannie Campbell, who will be 1 in April.
(emphasis mine.)

I call B.S. on Mr. Campbell's 'surprise' at the controversy.  He has admitted that the youngest was named after Himmler here. He knows exactly what his kids' names connote, and I can only hope that they survive childhood relatively unscathed. 

When I was naming my little one, we were very conscious of what possible nicknames and teasing could arise on the playground.

Offline Paradox

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2008, 02:51:00 PM »
I've known quite a few hispanics by the name of Jesus Christ, but Adolf Hitler definitely takes the cake.

Offline Aysleen

• Biter of lips, and necks, and things
  • Deverified
  • Seducer
  • Come on, do me...you know you want to.
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2008, 02:53:33 PM »
When I was naming my little one, we were very conscious of what possible nicknames and teasing could arise on the playground.

And any truly loving and caring parent would consider the same.
These parents weren't considering the child at all.

Online Oniya

• Oracle
  • Carnite
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2008, 03:08:01 PM »
I've known quite a few hispanics by the name of Jesus Christ, but Adolf Hitler definitely takes the cake.

At least Jesus (hay-soos) is a commonly recognized Hispanic name, regardless of its origins, and I bet those people you know didn't broadcast their middle names.  The Campbells made a big deal about broadcasting that the kid's middle name is Hitler.

I'd also bet that if they had asked for 'Adolf Campbell' to be put on the cake, there wouldn't have been an issue at the store.

Online Jagerin

• They/Them Pronouns || Alpha Raptor || Fandom Monarch || Estrous Twinkle Particle || Kho's Murdoc || Nic's Scully
  • Champion
  • Carnite
  • Black roses and Hail Mary's can't bring you back.
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 20
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2008, 03:33:35 PM »
As much as I think that the parents should have thought the name over a bit more before putting it down on the birth certificate...but at the same time, it's none of the store's business what a couple names their child. I'm sure the store as a whole couldn't give a crap. It had to be the deli/bakery workers that refused it. Personally, it's their job. If someone wants Happy Birthday JackA** on a cake, they'd do it. If they wanted Happy Birthday F***er...it's the baker's job to do it and even ask how to spell it to make sure they get it right.

So what if the kid's name was Adolf Hitler. A few baker people and the family would of been the only ones that saw it. It's not like they have to go over the intercom and yell, "Adolf Hitler's birthday cake is ready!"

I don't see what the big deal is. I grew up with someone named Adolf. It's a nice name. I do think that the parents should of picked a better pairing of names, but the kid can change it when he's old enough. *shrugs*

Just my opinion.

Online Oniya

• Oracle
  • Carnite
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2008, 03:40:04 PM »
It had to be the deli/bakery workers that refused it. Personally, it's their job. If someone wants Happy Birthday JackA** on a cake, they'd do it. If they wanted Happy Birthday F***er...it's the baker's job to do it and even ask how to spell it to make sure they get it right.

Actually, the deli/bakery was quoted as saying that they have the right to refuse to put something on a cake if they find it offensive.  They refused to decorate another cake (separate incident) with swastikas.  I'm sure that if someone came in wanting to put 'Happy Birthday F***er' on a cake, that they would likely refuse that as well.

And I have no problem with the name Adolf either.  It always struck me as slightly geeky-sounding, like Eugene, but on the whole it's a decent enough name. 

Offline Revolverman

« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2008, 03:45:00 PM »
This kinda reminds me of that episode of Cheers where Carla Tortelli mom asked her to rename her son Benito Mussolini