You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

December 11, 2016, 02:18:05 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Send us your theme!

Hark!  The Herald!
Holiday Issue 2016

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: Xbox issues.  (Read 829 times)

Offline InkiduTopic starter

• E's Resident Girlomancer, Dedicated Philogynist, The Compartive of a Superlative, SLG's Sammich Life-Giver
  • Lord
  • Addict
  • My Role Play Preferences
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 0
Xbox issues.
« on: December 06, 2008, 11:10:11 AM »
Anyone know a way to fix one red segment that appears on start up?
I can't imagine it's the killer red ring of death. It's only one segment.

Offline DeviantWolf

Re: Xbox issues.
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2008, 02:44:39 AM »
You can try the towel fix but you are most likely going to have to send it back to Microsoft.  There's not many things that cause red rings and errors on the 360 that you can fix yourself.

Offline Sabby

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2008, 03:51:10 AM »
I just got that... my mod guy says its an issue with the motherboard. Pretty serious problem... either send it in for repairs, or get a cheap core system and add your old hard drive to it.

• E's Resident Girlomancer, Dedicated Philogynist, The Compartive of a Superlative, SLG's Sammich Life-Giver
  • Lord
  • Addict
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2008, 04:52:25 PM »
Apparently it's an E74 and that's a hardware failure. At least it's not the hard drive.

Offline MagicalPen

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2008, 06:10:03 PM »
XBOX is made by Microsuck. Simple as that. I have not encounted a 360 that does not encounter a problem at some point. Microsuck needs to stop making defective products.

• Lord
  • Addict
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2008, 02:24:24 PM »
XBOX is made by Microsuck. Simple as that. I have not encounted a 360 that does not encounter a problem at some point. Microsuck needs to stop making defective products.
That's maddeningly unhelpful. : (
I admit yeah it blows that it broke but it's still better than the PS3. Now, any helpful advice. Of course the damn thing was moved a lot and played a ton. For all I know something just got knocked loose. The more complex the machine the more that can go wrong with it. It's a later one that doesn't use the bad dvd drives or whatever.

Offline MagicalPen

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2008, 02:27:42 PM »
PS3 is more complex and has no mechanical issues (that I am aware of). My 360 died (red ring) and got fixed. Was generally fine after that. I also have 2 sitting in my office with Red Ring, and it seems to be a pretty common problem. The towel-fix is only temporary (as far as I am aware) and I have no idea why it works (and why, for only a short time). Both systems get pretty hot and apparently that additional cooling fan for the 360 causes more harm then good to it (are you by chance also using one of these?). Also, make sure you keep it in a well ventilate place (not in a cabinet, for instance) since it does generate a lot of heat.

• Lord
  • Addict
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2008, 02:34:05 PM »
Oh no the thing has to be sent in for repair, I think it's a video issue not dealing with the cable. Hey it almost lasted a year. It was probably human error more than anything. It has been accidentally buffeted a few times. Honestly I'm surprised it lasted as long as it did. Stuff like this happens all the time though. One of my graphics cores died on my P.C. too. I'm not really all that pissed at HP. 

Offline MagicalPen

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2008, 02:34:41 PM »
Do you overclock your PC?

• Lord
  • Addict
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2008, 02:55:42 PM »
Nope but I think an un-patched version of Civilization 4 will cause it to happen.

Offline MagicalPen

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2008, 02:56:55 PM »
Heh, that's interesting. I love how SPORE fails when you have dual-video cards. Stupid EA Games.

• Lord
  • Addict
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2008, 03:04:14 PM »
I know they've fixed that. Civ four had memory leak issues and it would overload the one running the "Here and now" memory. My other one is fine.

Still my friend has Spore and it works on his and he has at least two vid cards in his new PC.

Offline MagicalPen

« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2008, 03:05:15 PM »
I had to turn SLI off to get SPORE to not freak out with custom painted creators. They'd turn all black and purple and fugly.

Offline Avi

• I'll show you how to soar.
  • On Hiatus
  • Enchanter
  • Flying by the seat of his pants...
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2008, 04:18:50 PM »
I've had my Xbox for a little under a year, and I've never had heating issues as far as I've noticed.  Of course, I don't play it for hours on end usually.  As far as fixing the Red Ring o' Badness, I've only heard of true fixes coming from getting it fixed by Microsoft.  Oh, and my Xbox is of the "new generation" of Xboxes that aren't nearly as defective as the previous generation.

• Lord
  • Addict
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2008, 10:46:26 AM »
Well I was sort of waiting for it to happen. With the influx of new games... and playing the hell out of said games...