You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

December 03, 2016, 01:50:07 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Send us your theme!

Hark!  The Herald!
Holiday Issue 2016

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: Implicit Association Test -- Are you Biased?  (Read 278 times)

Online HannibalBarcaTopic starter

• Defiant General of Hopeless Causes * Henry Rollins for President campaigner * Mako-phile * Uncle Iroh in shades * Disciple of Dr. Cornel West *
  • Lord
  • Enchanter
  • Location: At large, am tall. "People keep asking if I'm back. Yeah...I'm thinking I'm back."
  • My Role Play Preferences
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 0
Implicit Association Test -- Are you Biased?
« on: January 28, 2016, 09:15:38 PM »
Implicit Association Test (sorry, fixed it)

From their website:

Project Implicit is a non-profit organization and international collaboration between researchers who are interested in implicit social cognition - thoughts and feelings outside of conscious awareness and control. The goal of the organization is to educate the public about hidden biases and to provide a “virtual laboratory” for collecting data on the Internet.

This was an interesting series of tests I found out about on a Buzzfeed video on Youtube.  It is an eye-opening look into our own biases.

For example, when I took the Sexuality (gay-straight) test, it said I had a strong preference for gay individuals over straight individuals.  Seeing as I am straight, I took this to represent my whole life identifying with underdogs and those who are mistreated, so it wasn't much of a surprise.  When I took the religion test, I found that I had slightly positive attitudes towards Buddhism and Judaism, a neutral attitude towards Islam, and a fairly negative attitude towards Christianity.  I myself am atheist, but I grew up Christian, so I can understand having a negative attitude towards the religion I was indoctrinated in.

There are many more tests, like race (black-white, asian-european american), weight (fat-thin), age (young-old), among others.  What did your test results come out as, and what do you think of them?
« Last Edit: January 28, 2016, 09:36:50 PM by HannibalBarca »

Online Dhi

Re: Implicit Association Test -- Are you Biased?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2016, 04:05:39 PM »
"Strong automatic preference for Gay People compared to Straight People."

3% of people share that preference, which is remarkably on target for representing the gay population of the world. Neat!

Online Blythe

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2016, 05:00:04 PM »
These are kinda neat.

Found out I have a moderate preference for Buddhism, am neutral to Islam and Judaism, and somewhat dislike Christianity.

Then tested and found I have a moderate automatic preference for older people over younger people.

I might take a few more of these out of sheer curiosity.

Edit: Took another. Says I have little to no preference between straight and gay people.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2016, 05:10:25 PM by Blythe »

Online Dhi

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2016, 05:17:04 PM »
I didn't get Buddhism on mine, it would only give me Hinduism.

Online Blythe

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2016, 05:26:35 PM »
I may have had a different test bookmarked--I've taken something like this before. Will have to double-check. >_>;

Online AmberStarfire

• Rogue Starlight ~ Fantasy Novelist ~ This Is Who We Are ~ Scully to his Mulder
  • Dame
  • Carnite
  • ❤ Snuggler of the Wyld and Hairy ❤
  • My Role Play Preferences
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 1
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2016, 07:10:25 AM »
On the gay/straight test I got:

"Your data suggest a slight automatic preference for Gay People compared to Straight People."

I would've expected to get a fairly equal result for gay and straight people. There's only a slight difference on the test, but when I was asked in a later question how I rate my comfort level with different genders of different sexualities, I realised I'm more comfortable around gay women than straight women. I think that's the reason the scores aren't equal.

On the religious preferences test:

Religions by automatic preference were Hinduism, Christianity, Islam then Judaism.

My own religious beliefs are Pagan/Buddhist. Growing up, I was raised by a non-religious family who were still classified as Christian on the census. My sister's Catholic and went to a Catholic girl's school. As a result of growing up in Australia, I know more about Christianity than the other religions mentioned because it was more common.

I think familiarity with religion affected my results a little. Concepts like Karma in Hinduism also apply to Buddhism and my own religious mindset. So they came more naturally to me and were easier to select on the list. I know very little about Judaism, so I kept making mistakes on that one and mixed it up with Christianity a few times.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2016, 07:36:43 AM by AmberStarfire »