You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

July 25, 2017, 07:56:19 AM
Top RP Sites - Vote Daily

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Send us your theme!

The Elliquian Herald & Post
Issue 74 ~ April thru July 2017

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: Any survivalists/preppers/doomsdayplanners here?  (Read 7102 times)

Offline Oniya

• StoreHouse of Useless Trivia
  • Oracle
  • Carnite
  • One bad Motokifuka. Also cute and FLUFFY!
  • My Role Play Preferences
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 3
Re: Any survivalists/preppers/doomsdayplanners here?
« Reply #125 on: October 15, 2016, 03:14:38 PM »
It's an eye condition where an abscess forms, typically on the inside surface of the eyelid.  Very irritating to painful, but not particularly dangerous. 

Offline Oniya

• Oracle
  • Carnite
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #127 on: November 21, 2016, 03:55:31 PM »
Trolley coin?

I'd be mildly worried about the 'cutter' (although it looks more serrated than 'sharp edge) in my hair, but it's a cool idea.

Offline Captain MalteseTopic starter

« Reply #128 on: December 06, 2016, 11:27:05 AM »

While I was out shopping food today I passed by this little thing and thought it might have some potential for experimental survivalist improvisation. At a dollar fifty, why not? But the ladies reading this thread might be more knowledgeable than me, because this is apparently nail polish remover.

Here is the actual item. 100 milliliter of Dimethyl Glutarate and a presumably negligible amount of perfume. The little print on the back says that the product is entirely free of acetone.

My plan now is to do a little chemistry research. But in the meanwhile I would like to hear any suggestions, from practical experience to lab jokes, of what this innocuous product could ever be used for. After all I will probably never need it for what it is supposedly for.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2016, 11:28:14 AM by Captain Maltese »

Offline Oniya

• Oracle
  • Carnite
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #129 on: December 06, 2016, 11:51:02 AM »
Well, as it says on the package, it's a solvent (nail polish remover is essentially a mild paint stripper).  We used to use the acetone-based nail polish remover to deal with super-glue accidents, but I'm not sure if the newer formulas are up to that challenge.

Chemically:  DIMETHYL GLUTARATE is an ester. Esters react with acids to liberate heat along with alcohols and acids. Strong oxidizing acids may cause a vigorous reaction that is sufficiently exothermic to ignite the reaction products. Heat is also generated by the interaction of esters with caustic solutions.

So, if you have a source of strong acid (car battery?), you might be able to start a fire with it, although a bottle of isopropyl alcohol would probably do you just as well for less money per unit volume (once you call something a 'cosmetic', you can charge more for it - yay vanity!)

« Reply #130 on: December 07, 2016, 11:20:01 AM »
Well, this one has no acetone so I can't tell. But it is a relevant question because I keep superglue in my emergency medical kit for cut wounds.

I guess this is basically a solvent. I found entire literal lists of stuff you can do with nail polish remover but it gets underlined that this is for the type WITH acetone. I was hoping that the dimethyl glutarate might be useful for something clever in an emergency but right now I don't know in what direction to look.

Offline Oniya

• Oracle
  • Carnite
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #131 on: December 07, 2016, 11:32:05 AM »
I suppose you could do a controlled test to see if the dimethyl will do the same things.  For example, apply a drop of superglue to a surface and let it solidify, then apply some of the dimethyl and see if it softens. 

Apparently the prevalence of non-acetone polish removers is due to the fact that acetone will also remove acrylic nails' adhesive (makes sense, I suppose.)

« Reply #132 on: December 28, 2016, 06:37:06 PM »
Just joking around a bit since it is the holidays....

YOU MAY BE MORE PREPARED FOR THE APOCALYPSE THAN YOU THOUGHT

1. You have a primary defense position with established supply resource maps and escape route - if you live in any kind of home at all.

2. You have a fallback and secondary defense position - if you have at your disposal a cabin, or dependable friends or relatives living near you who will tolerate you sleeping over for a night or two.

3. You have a mobile temporary hideout - if you have a tent and a sleeping bag, or even just a plastic sheet and a blanket.

4. You have a primary close range defense system - if you can pony up a baseball bat, a crowbar, a hammer or even just the biggest knife in your kitchen drawer.

5. You have access to multiple local and global communication systems - if you have a cell phone.

6. You have food supplies for 24 hours - if you have one bottle of water and a couple of tins of tuna. Doesn't sound like much but it will keep you going for that long at least. Which brings me to point 7...

7. You have covered your most essential food making supplies in an emergency - if you have a can opener. If it is placed on a pocket knife, so much the better.

8. You have a complete firestarting kit - if you have one box of matches and a dry newspaper.

9. You can heat water and prepare many types of food - in an emptied tin can with the lid removed and a bit of wire going through two holes near the top, to hang it over the fire with.

10. You can cover your need for the most essential survival clothing - with a one dollar plastic poncho. Because staying dry matters a whole lot than the name brand of your gear. If the shit really hits the fan a big plastic bag with holes cut for your head and arms could be what saves you from hypothermia.

11. You are an expert at survival - the proof is that you made it this far in life. If and when disaster strikes you are capable of a lot of things you might not normally put on your CV. Don't panic and you WILL be a resource for yourself and for others.