You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

December 05, 2016, 04:42:16 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Send us your theme!

Hark!  The Herald!
Holiday Issue 2016

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: Are any ideas really original?  (Read 454 times)

Offline MymarTopic starter

Are any ideas really original?
« on: October 11, 2015, 06:21:04 PM »
I've been thinking a lot about this as I get back into writing music. I've studied music all my life, and if you know the composers teachers, you can always hear that influence even if it is just in the background.  So, what constitutes an original idea?

Offline Inkidu

• E's Resident Girlomancer, Dedicated Philogynist, The Compartive of a Superlative, SLG's Sammich Life-Giver
  • Lord
  • Addict
  • My Role Play Preferences
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 0
Re: Are any ideas really original?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2015, 06:46:47 PM »
No such animal. You'll drive yourself nuts. I tend to focus on making my things fun and well-written.

Offline Beguile's Mistress

• Time flies like an arrow ~ Fruit flies like a banana ~ Elliquiy's Fair-E Godmother
  • Dame
  • Carnite
  • Location: Faeleacanvald ~ The Steeler Nation ~ Home of Lord Stanley's Cup 2016 ~ She won't stay throwed! ~ 48\22-5\1\11-5\7
  • Perpetual Notion Machine ~ 'What if...?'
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 3
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2015, 07:55:24 PM »
It's hard to come up with original ideas.  I know.  I've tried.  Now I just look for ways to tell the story wth a fresh eye toward manipulating the plot. :-)

Offline Mikem

• *Cancer Survivor*
  • Permabanned
  • Seducer
  • No labels. I'm a Man and that's all that I am.
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2015, 12:24:50 AM »
Nothing's really original anymore. The core is always the same, what differs is your manipulation of it. Think of it like touching something. A ball represents all known literary elements in our civilization, and when you touch it you leave your fingerprints on it. Those fingerprints may be different than someone else's, but they're all still on the same object. (I have no idea how well I came across with that analogy..)

Ideas may have been original thousands of years ago, but not anymore. Though, not unless Humanity suddenly grasps a concept previously incomprehensible, then that'd be new and thus, original. Like say, a new form of energy production previously never imagined. That'd be new. Though then again, the idea of energy production itself isn't new.

Offline Asphodel Terrarium

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2015, 07:05:17 PM »
Innovation is mostly about copying and getting those ideas floating around and putting them together and making it better. In a way, there are no original ideas.

Offline alextaylor

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2015, 10:27:11 AM »
Nope! Every idea you have, someone else has it.

In fact, we have a saying in investor circles - why is this the right time for this idea? Ideas exist a long time - flights to Mars, giant robots, video chat. But what makes an idea actually possible?

Most ideas usually evolve from another. All innovation is an improvement. We create new things through iteration. A 'fresh' idea, like the iPhone, is simply something that has gone through multiple iterations quietly, before released to the public.

Offline HannibalBarca

• Defiant General of Hopeless Causes * Henry Rollins for President campaigner * Mako-phile * Uncle Iroh in shades * Disciple of Dr. Cornel West *
  • Lord
  • Enchanter
  • Location: At large, am tall. "People keep asking if I'm back. Yeah...I'm thinking I'm back."
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2015, 02:46:17 PM »
What I ask myself now is, not is it original?, but is it good?  There are a multitude of, say, adventure stories with the archetypes of the young hero, the wise teacher, the descent into the cave, and so on...but the ones that engage us, get an emotional response from us, and make us think...ah, there's the rub.