Once upon a time, in a galaxy far far away, I used to GM a game that actually used a system. It was custom designed, really simple, simply because I had never done such a thing before. I also had a co-gm and about 12 players. Basically, enough people to flesh out a Squad, though they were equally divided into three squads so their squad-mates could be cannon-fodder. And because the scenario in play was not a single-unit action type of thing. Anyways, to make a long story short, the game saw 1-day of action (the mission) with 2,000 or so posts made (half of which were over a 2 month period). Intense, I know, and there were a few surprises thrown in (like a PanzerGrenadier Platoon and Stug that happened to be in the area). The results were rather bloody, with close to 75% casualties, and not one member escaped untouched (in one manner or another).
So, I've decided to start a new version of the game here, as long as the following rules are met/understood.
1. Realism. I'm a WWII buff, so I know my facts (mostly). Hollywood movies are far from the truth. So, not everyone has a Thompson, not everyone is going to survive. Hell, I expect most of you to get wounded in one way or another - cuts and scrapes etc. Don't be all "gung ho" or anything either, as its the quickest way to death.
2. The System. The System isn't like anything you've seen. It will be rather basic, and used to sort out combat (for the most part). Once things get settled, I will draw it up in further detail and post it here.
3. Posting. No one-liners! Due to the pace of this game (SLOW) because of all the behind-the-scenes stuff, I expect posts to be lengthy (but not short novels).
4. Characters. Being a combat unit, no women! Based on theatre, country, etc that might be open to debate. Potential 'Resistance/Partisan' members can be Female too. Also, depending on interest, this game could be massive with players on BOTH SIDES being active.
5. GM = GOD. Well, close to it. My word is final. I am open to suggestions (and will ask for suggestions/comments) but when I make a decision, it is final. Period.
6. Joining. I might be picky with who I chose to let into this game. You need to be reliable, post any absences, post regularly (at least 2 times a week, maybe more when interacting with each other when no GM input is needed). You also need to be a competent writer with at least some basic knowledge of the time period. You know - who fought who, etc.
So, some basic ideas:
Option 1: Normandy
Part of the Airborne Operation, meet up with some Partisans. Cause some havoc, regroup at objective, take/hold town until Seaborne units arrive.
Option 2: Italy
Airborne Invasion. Secure target area, destroy ammo dump. Meet up with Partisans. Liberate village.
Option 3: Eastern Front
German/Russian side. Special Operations Mission. Partisans linkup (if Russian). Kill Partisans (if German).
This is just all in a nutshell. Ideas can be elaborated on, changed, or new ones added. All depends on the amount of interest and players we get.
So - any takers?