You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

December 05, 2016, 09:01:55 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Send us your theme!

Hark!  The Herald!
Holiday Issue 2016

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: Fantasy Noir (m4f, world-building, system)  (Read 413 times)

Offline artichoke heartsTopic starter

Fantasy Noir (m4f, world-building, system)
« on: October 14, 2014, 03:34:09 PM »
                          "Old thieves never die.

Expect the few that pass away in the cheap seats at midnight: laying there sprawled in the footlights for the usherette or sherbert girl to find.

And if I die, and god knows I might, don't make me die in black and white.

Don't make me share a single breath of elegy with every other ghostboy who clawed his way up from those gutters deep. Or those who ride a tavern bench with a pocketful of nothing but stories of the big score that could have been. And don't let me step outside and get cut down by whoever is waiting there. Their long dark cabs parked out back, their halos black against the night with my name etched in their finest bulletsilver or dagger-hilt.

I should die... carefully.

Cause buddy I once owned a pair of diamond collar studs and as I live and breathe I swear that's no lie. And men like me deserve to cash their chips more elegant than those without a star to their name or shine upon their dancing shoes.

I could drown.

Do you know so many hoods and gangsters got sent down to tread the river bed for all eternity. That now they look like statues in some cold submerged art gallery and I would gladly kiss the hand of any woman or man who'd bind my wrists and send me down to be in such good company...

Or I could be playing cards.

And get dealt the ace of flames and before I can whisper my mother's name they'd pitch me headlong dead across the roulette table. Knife wounds pinned like scarlet poppies in neat rows across my back.

Men like me have hellstars in ours eyes. And when we walk in groups of more than three we look like grounded constellations torn down from a moonless sky.

Hey, hey! John! I got the tickets for the show, here, in my very hand. Enjoy the show.
                          And when you kiss that girl goodnight, there in her red dress streaming, do it carefully. Good burgundy upon the tongue, for she will kill you, John. And one must always kiss one's own killer.

Or you could turn that blind corner into a alley full of barrels fixed.
                          And as I live and breathe I'll never see a pair who fall so sweet to hear the final poetry of cordite in the air or turn our faces up receiving death as if it were a mother's kiss or something black and rare.

Well c'mon then. Tonight! Let's pass out that hungry absinthe and we'll talk about old murders, double crosses and dead blondes.

And yell "Here's lookin' atcha!"

"Here's blood in ya eye!"

Old ghosts sit in the backroom.

Old bodies don't tell stories.

Old dreams wear dusty clothing.

Old thieves never die."

I'm looking to do some irresponsible genre mixing via collaborative story telling. Back when I was doing the "normal" college I got roped into a Dungeons and Dragons thing on a lark. It was pretty cool, got to hang with a nice group of guys and gals I probably wouldn't have gotten the chance to meet normally and had some laid back Tuesday nights rolling dice. I don't really have the opportunity anymore. Let's fix that, internet.

The aspects I most enjoyed about those games were the world building and problem solving. To be able to create a world in one's imagination and then to bring it to life for others and having such worlds brought to life for me really had an appeal that I quite miss. And I'm interested in collaborating with someone who isn't short on ideas and likes to grab the reins of a story once in a while. Also bringing a little lyrical thunder and narrative lightning couldn't hurt either. I think this should entail shared GM duties. Though how this would work is up for discussion. But in short I'd like to tell stories to someone who can carry stories by themselves.

The setting I'm angling for is High fantasy tropes dunked in a steam-punkish aesthetic with pulp-noir themes. Like half-orc gumshoes, trenchcoat, fedora, drinking problem. Magic wands instead of guns. Fallen paladins working as private eyes. Elvish femme fatales. That sort of thing. Probably take place in a city, involving lots of cloak and dagger skullduggery, betrayals, secrets, seduction, intrigue, cool stuff like that.

Maybe a Lovecraftian/weird fiction bent or like Victorian superheroes? A bit Sherlock Holmes style whodunit? Or maybe you wanna try a cyberpunk-ish Blade-Runner thing? Star Wars? All could work.

Smutty fun-time? I'm very democratic. Though it should work within the framework of the story.

Which system? I'm up for giving DnD Next a shot, but take a pick. Maybe none at all. I like the stats and dice to represent a character's capabilities rather than have mechanics drive the narrative. There won't be any "random encounters" or "dungeon crawling."

I'll leave this up now and see if I get any bites, then depending on responses either narrow or broaden scope accordingly
« Last Edit: March 16, 2016, 10:30:37 PM by artichoke hearts »

Re: Fantasy Noir (m4f, world-building, system)
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2015, 11:00:27 AM »
Looking for some new RPs

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2016, 10:30:17 PM »
Back up with a bump.

« Reply #3 on: Yesterday at 02:18:55 AM »
looking to do some writing over the holidays