You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

December 07, 2016, 06:29:23 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Send us your theme!

Hark!  The Herald!
Holiday Issue 2016

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: A BBCode Formatting Question  (Read 287 times)

Offline ChrystalTopic starter

A BBCode Formatting Question
« on: October 12, 2014, 01:13:39 PM »
I'm trying to simulate the effect of a column of news print. If I were doing this in HTML I would probably use the following code:

<table cellspacing="0" cellpadding="3" width="500" align="left" border="0">
<tr><td><p align="center">This is where I put the image</p></td></tr>
<tr><td><p align="justify">This is where the text would go and it would automatically right-justify and would wrap at a width of 500 pixels. This would give a nice columnar effect, resembling a newspaper column.</p></td></tr></table>

But if I try to do the equivalent in BBCode, removing all the extra and hopefully unnecessary parameters and tags...

Code: [Select]
[table width="500"]
[tr][td][center]This is where I put the image[/center][/td][/tr]
[tr][td][justify]This is where the text would go and it would automatically right-justify and would wrap at a width of 500 pixels. This would give a nice columnar effect, resembling a newspaper column.[/justify][/td][/tr][/table]

[table width="500"]
This is where I put the image
This is where the text would go and it would automatically right-justify and would wrap at a width of 500 pixels. This would give a nice columnar effect, resembling a newspaper column.

The width parameter has no effect!

Is there any way I can force the text to be only xxx pixels wide, without laboriously putting my own line breaks in?

Offline jouzinka

• Elf Guardian of the Blind Unbowed,Unbent,Unbroken. Law, Hr nn, dollen i Rw
  • Lady
  • Addict
  • The E mantra: Sip, swallow, scroll, sip, swallow..
  • My Role Play Preferences
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 1
Re: A BBCode Formatting Question
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2014, 01:41:46 PM »
Unfortunately, there is no easy answer except: no. :-(

It's been the source of headache for a long time now, but I don't think a solution has been found. :(

A quick fix I might try is to make this column an image and use the float tags.

Offline ChrystalTopic starter

Re: A BBCode Formatting Question
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2014, 01:57:41 PM »
I have actually found a solution that, while not entirely satisfactory, does at least give me the desired effect.

I create a two column table and put a blank rectangle, resized to height=1 width=500 in the first row of the second column. This at least forced the second column to be a minimum of 500 px wide, leaving the rest of window for the first column.

It works. I'd rather there were a way of actually using the "width" parameter on the table tag, it would be so much simpler.