You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

December 05, 2016, 02:35:26 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Send us your theme!

Hark!  The Herald!
Holiday Issue 2016

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: Partial Pistorius verdict  (Read 290 times)

Offline RetributionTopic starter

• Lord
  • Addict
  • When I'm good I'm good when I'm bad I'm better
  • My Role Play Preferences
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 0
Partial Pistorius verdict
« on: September 11, 2014, 03:43:16 PM »
http://news.msn.com/world/judge-pistorius-cant-be-found-guilty-of-murder

Not my country so largely not my business, but really?  To quote "I am of the view that the accused acted too hastily and with excessive force," Masipa said of Pistorius actions on the fatal night last year.' Really? You think? Another quote 'Masipa said there were "just not enough facts" to support the finding of premeditated murder in Steenkamp's fatal shooting.'

So let me get this straight he shoots four times through a bathroom door alleging he thought it was an intruder, never mind how to hell would an intruder have been in the bathroom I think they normally come through a door or window, and he is only negligent? I am more than a little disgusted.

Offline Scribbles

Re: Partial Pistorius verdict
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2014, 04:00:42 AM »
At the very least, he should be charged with culpable homicide.

Offline gaggedLouise

• Quim Queen | Collaborative juicy writer
  • Champion
  • Enchanter
  • Bound, gagged and unarmed but still dangerous.
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2014, 04:28:04 AM »
At the very least, he should be charged with culpable homicide.

There were several charges at the trial, the murder charge was never the only one. And indeed he is being sentenced guilty of homicide - effectively manslaughter (the judge kept the actual sentencing on further points off for friday, it's called a cliff-hanger). I figure Ms Steenkamp's family are likely to lodge an appeal.

It's a rather tricky case and a lot like O.J. Simpson in many ways. I, too, think it strains credibility that he would have got up and shot through the bathroom door without even noticing, on the way up, that Reeva wasn't by his side in the empire bed, and that she would not have cried out in between the shots and made him understand that he wasn't firing at some intruder. A number of witnesses claimed to have heard (from other apartments in the large complex) a woman crying out at just that point, betweeen or before the shots. But the judge clearly didn't want to send a national icon in athletics to jail for life for murder on anything less than tight, conclusive evidence that he had knowingly killed his girlfriend.

Offline RetributionTopic starter

• Lord
  • Addict
  • When I'm good I'm good when I'm bad I'm better
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2014, 07:34:20 AM »
Well from what I have read I piece it together as they had a fight, she locked herself in the bathroom, he got pissed and trying to scare her shot through the door. One cannot know for sure but that is really what it appears to me. I am an avid gun owner, I think everyone should have at least one. But I have no tolerance for those who do not use them in a responsible manner. I think that is why this judge's opinion appalls me so much.

Offline gaggedLouise

• Quim Queen | Collaborative juicy writer
  • Champion
  • Enchanter
  • Bound, gagged and unarmed but still dangerous.
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2014, 08:46:49 PM »
Yes, I've been following it some; BBC World have had a good deal of reporting from the trial, sometimes live for hours. There was a good deal of talk about Pístorius's gun obsession and sometimes careless and gung-ho handling of guns, and the possibility (the claim) that he and his girlfriend had an agitated quarrel over the hours before the killing. Of course he denies they had any kind of argument or were on bad terms and there are no eyewitnesses. Thinking of it, the haze around just what happened and the lack of eyewitnesses reminds me not just of O.J. Simpson but of the death of Jimi Hendrix, that one's also had a veil of hazy circumstances around just what happened, when and why (see Jimi Hendrix: The Final Days by Tony Brown for a good dig-through of the case). But in that one the police and forensics people were flat-out uninterested at the time, and the media, even the manager, happy to write it off as "just another accidentally dead rock star"  - in the Pistorius story the cops were on the scene very soon after the shooting and there's been great attention poured into trying to get the technical facts and the witnesses' accounts right, scrutinizing them.