You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

December 04, 2016, 08:11:42 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Send us your theme!

Hark!  The Herald!
Holiday Issue 2016

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: Climate Change and You  (Read 8805 times)

Offline consortium11

Re: Climate Change and You
« Reply #75 on: August 20, 2014, 05:56:39 PM »
To take this in a slightly different direction, it's been interesting how some of the tactics that climate change deniars/skeptics use have filtered out into other fields.

Despite the similar names I doubt many would think of there being much common ground between the climate change skeptics and atheist skeptics but in relatively recent times we've seen the likes of Rebecca Watson and PZ Myers use a similar approach when they criticise branches of science; conflating the media presentation of a topic with the topic itself, going after the more radical, fringe figures rejected by the mainstream rather than the mainstream itself, rubbishing peer-review and presenting it as a meaningless friends club etc etc.

Offline Kythia

• Noooo-one Fights like Kythia no-one bites like Kythia
  • Dame
  • Enchanter
  • No one chain smokes Marlboro lights like Kythia
  • My Role Play Preferences
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 1
« Reply #76 on: September 14, 2014, 06:05:56 AM »
Climate change has found us the Franklin expedition.

By my count that's one major historical breakthrough to CFCs and deforestation while locally grown food and lack of pollution is yet to get started.  Your move, hippies.

Offline Retribution

• Lord
  • Addict
  • When I'm good I'm good when I'm bad I'm better
  • My Role Play Preferences
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #77 on: September 14, 2014, 07:17:24 AM »
I could not find the original article that I read on this and am not real proud of this one but it links the report. Essentially the earth showed an ozone improvement last year. Now the first article I read and cannot located pointed out this was due to an increase in green houses gases, but take what one can get I suppose.

http://www.salon.com/2014/09/10/good_news_the_ozone_layer_is_showing_signs_of_improvement/

Offline Hemingway

« Reply #78 on: November 10, 2014, 05:45:39 AM »
What the article may have been referring to is that we now use HFCs instead of CFCs; HFCs do not damage the ozone layer, but they do contribute to enhancing the greenhouse effect.

As an interesting aside: I was told at a recent lecture that, had we major companies decided to use bromine instead of chlorine ( evidently they can be used in much the same way; chlorine was cheaper ), we'd pretty much be done right about now, as bromine is much more damaging to the ozone layer than chlorine. Just something to consider.