You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

December 03, 2016, 04:03:45 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Send us your theme!

Hark!  The Herald!
Holiday Issue 2016

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: A Bell Tolls  (Read 301 times)

Offline ladia2287Topic starter

A Bell Tolls
« on: September 20, 2013, 06:44:50 AM »
It was exceedingly rare for me to wake up to hear the bells ringing in the local village church. So I was mildly surprised, one wet, wintry day, when that was exactly what happened. Above the sound of the heavy rain falling onto the roof, I could just make out the almost monotonous tone of the bells in the distance, calling the faithful to pray in that House of God.

I sat up for a short while, intrigued by the sound. I am not one for rising early when I donít have to, but there was something about the combination of sounds that was peaceful and relaxing.
You might think me a little strange. After all, sitting and listening to the rain fall and distant bells ring is hardly anyoneís idea of fun. However, for me, it gave a small sense of calm. The weather seemed to mimic my own feelings of melancholy.

Blinking slowly, I reached under my pillow and pulled out a small envelope. It was not addressed, but I knew its contents well. A short, but heartfelt, letter, which I had written but hadnít found the nerve to send. I blinked tears away from my eyes as I recalled the words I had penned, and the depths of sorrow and despair which had inspired me to put them to paper. I wanted quite badly to send it, but one hurtful image prevented me. I knew the reaction of its recipient would be less than favourable.

Stuffing the letter under the pillow once more, I slowly climbed out of bed and pulled on a bathrobe, before walking over to the window to glance outside. Strange, I thought, that a sound which could once bring me so much joy and excitement only caused me great pain now. As a more innocent being I had loved the distant tolling of those bells. I used to run out into the garden every Sunday morning just to listen to them. But life can sometimes be painfully cruel. I had lost that feverish need to hear the sound I once loved. I blocked it out of my life as much as possible.

I blinked away tears as the stinging in my chest became unbearable. I had tried everything, and still the pain would not stop. I opened the window, allowing the brisk morning air to fill my room. How easy would it be to put an end to my heartache right then and there? I felt certain I would not be missed. Even if I was, those few would soon move on without me. Their lives would not be burdened by my own miseries, leaving them free to live their lives without a care for the sorrowful creature I had become.

Someone once told me that God will never force me to suffer more than I can bear. But I know, in this instance, he had greatly overestimated my strength, and the cost of his mistake is very high indeed.