You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

December 06, 2016, 08:09:14 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Send us your theme!

Hark!  The Herald!
Holiday Issue 2016

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: Who says Judges can't be creative... For Beatles fans especially.  (Read 752 times)

Offline MaevenTopic starter

I doubt the defendant appreciated this very much.

Offline ShrowdedPoet

• Sexual Deviant
  • Dame
  • Enchanter
  • Don't tell the pirate that I'm under his bed. . .
  • My Role Play Preferences
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 2
Re: Who says Judges can't be creative... For Beatles fans especially.
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2008, 10:15:45 AM »
A judge with a sence of humor!  I LOVE it!

Offline Spookie Monster

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2008, 06:33:04 AM »
As a passionate fan of The Beatles, yeah, I definitely got a kick out of this.  Great find, Maeven! :)

Spel

Offline The Overlord

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2008, 06:51:47 PM »

Umm.... :-\

Offline Inkidu

• E's Resident Girlomancer, Dedicated Philogynist, The Compartive of a Superlative, SLG's Sammich Life-Giver
  • Lord
  • Addict
  • My Role Play Preferences
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2008, 08:56:22 PM »
He couldn't work in a Yellow Submarine pun? Oh well everyone's got their limits. :D

Offline Mathim

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2008, 10:59:25 PM »
How old is the criminal? Does burglary really carry a sentence that would make someone (I'm assuming he's in his twenties or thirties) stay in jail until they're 64? Seems unconstitutional.

Offline MaevenTopic starter

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2008, 12:00:34 AM »
How old is the criminal? Does burglary really carry a sentence that would make someone (I'm assuming he's in his twenties or thirties) stay in jail until they're 64? Seems unconstitutional.

Actually, I don't know anything about the background of the case... whether or not he could be sentenced until he was 64 would depend on his age obviously but mostly on prior convictions and the definition of burglary in Montana.  Its kinda stupid in Florida... i.e. its not burglary unless its nighttime... (if I remember correctly from school, I don't practice criminal law).   

If its like, 30 years for breaking and entering... then yeah, it might offend the cruel and unusual punishment clause. 

Offline Spookie Monster

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2008, 05:39:27 PM »
I wouldn't worry about this being another example of the judicial system gone wild.  Actually, when I first came across this thread, I myself wondered whether the sentencing memorandum in question was a fake -- just a joke for fans of The Beatles.  When I looked into it further, though, I found this:

Memory Almost Full

Apparently, therefore, it is real.  To sum up:

In 2006, [the defendant] was arrested for stealing beer.  After entering a guilty plea, he received a sentence of probation, community service, and a fine.

No biggie, really.

Oh, and please note, Mathim, that the sentencing memorandum doesn't actually state that the defendant should remain imprisoned until he's sixty-four years old; rather, the judge is simply saying that he hopes that in time the guy will come to accept that stealing beer isn't cool.

I mean, yeah, it was only Old Milwaukee, but still.

Spel