You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

December 03, 2016, 04:02:17 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Send us your theme!

Hark!  The Herald!
Holiday Issue 2016

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: India Reports Completely Drug-Resistant TB  (Read 1860 times)

Online Oniya

• StoreHouse of Useless Trivia
  • Oracle
  • Carnite
  • Location: Just bouncing through. Hi! City of Roses, Pennsylvania
  • One bad Motokifuka. Also cute and FLUFFY!
  • My Role Play Preferences
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 3
Re: India Reports Completely Drug-Resistant TB
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2012, 11:11:18 AM »
It was considered 'glamorous' in the 19th/early 20th centuries because the sufferers typically developed this gaunt, ethereal appearance.  It also killed slowly so that the infected had time to 'ready their affairs'.  In many cases the physical symptoms (which also included reddened, light-sensitive eyes and pale skin) in addition to family members starting to waste away after the initial patient had died, led to rumors of vampirism.  Also, in an odd parallel to the modern 'Goth' fashion, many young women would intentionally pale their skin to mimic that appearance, which may account for at least some of the 'living with it for decades' cases.

Offline DarklingAlice

« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2012, 09:20:33 PM »
I understand that the intent and concern are probably there but I have doubts about enforcement.

'specially given the countries where this is a problem don't have the funds for a comprehensive public health program.

Offline Serephino

« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2012, 10:19:04 PM »
I can't blame a person for not wanting to take medication that long.  Antibiotics give me really bad heartburn unless I take them with food, and sometimes not even that helps.  After a few days of that, if I'm starting to feel better, it's tempting to throw the damn things in the trash.  I don't, but I'm always very happy when I'm finally finished with them, and that's only 7-10 days.