I know, it's nothing new, but it has not lost its importance. Quite the contrary, given those facts:
- More than 34 million people now live with HIV/AIDS.
- 2.5 million of them are under the age of 15.
- In 2009, an estimated 2.6 million people were newly infected with HIV.
- 370,000 were under the age of 15.
- Every day more than 7,000 people contract HIV—nearly 300 every hour.
- In 2009, 1.8 million people died from AIDS.
- 260,000 of them were under the age of 15.
- Since the beginning of the epidemic, more than 60 million people
have contracted HIV and nearly 30 million have died of HIV-related causes.
I have lost friends due to this terrible disease, and I know that I am not alone. Countless people have lost friends, loved family members, husbands, wives and children because of it. And each time I think about the ones I lost, I realize how precious life is, how fragile and how quickly we can loose it.
Thank you for reading this.