You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

December 02, 2016, 02:03:30 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Send us your theme!

Hark!  The Herald!
Holiday Issue 2016

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: A quick question for those far more techno-savvy than myself.  (Read 638 times)

Offline Ex68471Topic starter

A quick question for those far more techno-savvy than myself.
« on: September 29, 2011, 01:40:22 PM »
I do know my way around a computer, but before I start fiddling with settings I figured it would be better for me to ask about the subject first before I nuke something on accident.

I have my desktop pc connected to the internet via a Wifi connecter, I have a Wifi router in my house. I also get on this Wifi with my iPod, and a laptop.

I am planning on getting a new laptop. Would it be possible to transfer my pictures, videos, and other such files to my new laptop by way of the Wifi network?

Offline Oniya

• StoreHouse of Useless Trivia
  • Oracle
  • Carnite
  • Location: Just bouncing through. Hi! City of Roses, Pennsylvania
  • One bad Motokifuka. Also cute and FLUFFY!
  • My Role Play Preferences
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 3
Re: A quick question for those far more techno-savvy than myself.
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2011, 02:15:45 PM »
Should be.  We have a hard-wire network set up here, and I have a 'Shared Folder' that the other two computers can read and write files in.  You want to set up File Sharing on the desktop machine, sharing one specific folder.  (If it's a Windows based machine, it's under Network and Internet Connections - there's a wizard to walk you through setting up your home network.)

Offline jouzinka

• Elf Guardian of the Blind Unbowed,Unbent,Unbroken. Law, Hr nn, dollen i Rw
  • Lady
  • Addict
  • The E mantra: Sip, swallow, scroll, sip, swallow..
  • My Role Play Preferences
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 1
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2011, 02:23:57 PM »
You can set a network, which isn't the easiest to do, but neither is it the hardest. If you have doubts, you can always make a dropbox account and transfer the files via internet and a shared folder (only if FUP - fair use policy - or bandwidth isn't an issue).

Offline tsc

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2011, 11:51:00 PM »
Note that if you have a relatively new computer, a wired connection may be much faster.  I got a new desktop last year, and initially I tried copying everything over via wireless, but after seeing that it was going to take several hours, I dug out my old ethernet cable and went that way.  I was able to simply plug the cable into the laptop and the desktop without any other network hardware, since the ports were auto-sensing.

Gigabit ethernet was much, much faster for the transfer than the 54 Mbps on the wireless.  What would have been six or seven hours on the wireless was under an hour.