Assange's 'BoA' files might be a hoax.

Started by Callie Del Noire, July 18, 2011, 07:55:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Callie Del Noire

http://www.thestar.com/news/world/article/1023247--swiss-banker-s-wikileaks-discs-held-no-secrets

I was looking over the news sites about Rupert Murdock's Newsgroups hacking folks to get information and came across this little nugget. Julian Assange's 'dirty bomb of corrupt banking data' might not be anything of the sort. I have to wonder what the banker gave him but it's looking like it might NOT be anything as potent as folks thought.

Of course I'm still trying to find out more about Murdoch facing a Select Committee of Parliment. I'd LOVE to see that man sweat. :D

Revolverman

I'll wait till I see them, rather then take what a few bankers say at face value.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Revolverman on July 21, 2011, 01:15:42 PM
I'll wait till I see them, rather then take what a few bankers say at face value.

True. I was looking for more on the Murdoch scandal than Assange. I think if he had something god it would be in play now, just to keep him in the news.

Murdoch's mess is getting wild. One of the leakers was found dead in his home and the cops are keeping it totally vacuum sealed, makes me wish the English police would teach folks over here how todo it.

Revolverman

They always said Aussies had alot of balls, and that old bastard is proving it.

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on July 21, 2011, 01:20:31 PM
True. I was looking for more on the Murdoch scandal than Assange. I think if he had something good it would be in play now, just to keep him in the news.
This seems a reliable guess. Assange got his 15 minutes of fame by splattering egg all over the U.S. Government's face, but now he's mostly irrelevant.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on July 21, 2011, 01:48:09 PM
This seems a reliable guess. Assange got his 15 minutes of fame by splattering egg all over the U.S. Government's face, but now he's mostly irrelevant.

Bet he'll get more airtime as the verdict comes in?  If he has something I'm sure that will be when he releases any poison he has.

Sabby

I always end up looking like the stupid one here, so might as well keep up appearances... what are you all talking about? x.x I vaguely remember the name Assange being big a few months back...

Oniya

Assange is the guy responsible for Wikileaks.  I'm not quite as up to speed on Murdoch.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Revolverman

Quote from: Oniya on July 21, 2011, 03:13:06 PM
Assange is the guy responsible for Wikileaks.  I'm not quite as up to speed on Murdoch.

Murdoch owns about 25% of the media in the developed world.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Revolverman on July 21, 2011, 03:18:05 PM
Murdoch owns about 25% of the media in the developed world.

That sounds about right. He's a very nasty customer, and has been behind some of the worse attacks on fair use by anyone. He's tried to sue the BBC for using segments of his media broadcasts in new reports about them. His papers (at least in the UK) have hacked folk's phone accounts to get information and more. That is what he's in trouble with right now in the UK. He shut down the 'News of the World' in the wake of the allegations and his companies have been taking hits ever since. 

http://www.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/europe/07/18/uk.phone.hacking.explainer/index.html?iref=obinsite

Add in other points like the death of one of the whistle blowers. (I personally don't think he was killed but the cops are playing it very very tight to the chest)

http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/182665/20110719/news-of-the-world-phone-hacking-whistleblower-meets-with-mysterious-death-sean-hoare-rebekah-brooks.htm

Murdoch is the man who owns here in the US: Fox News, The Wall Street Journal and a lot of other papers and such, and in many circles is considered a 'King maker'. The reason he's in such trouble is all the folks he was tied to in the UK are doing their equivalent of the Washington Two-step to get away from him. Add in investigations in Canada, the US, Australia and other countries to see if his companies and papers did similar actions. Here in the US the Murdoch Media outlets are strangely silent about the hearings that are going on in the UK and taking some hits for it.

I've developed a dislike for Murdoch because of his belief that anyone reading anything his groups put out should pay him for the right to do so. His publishing houses are the ones that trying out the 'ebook lease' outlook on library ebook programs. They would lend out the books X-number of times and then have to 're-buy' the books. He has repeated gone after people who cite his media's output without compenstation, even at levels that are considered 'fair use'.

Callie Del Noire

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/world/2011/07/17/rs.murdoch.empire.falling.cnn

The most IMPORTANT point they glossed over here in this was that the investigation IS expanding past the Murdoch group and other papers will be scrutinized. THAT is what I'm thinking will be biting some of the folks in the media in the ass in the end. A LOT of the media feel that 'anything goes' in the pursuit of a story and I'm sure things will fall out of the tree when they are shaken.

GloomCookie

I remember a documentary on some of the first presidents of the 20th century, including Dwight Eisenhower.  Back in those days, the reporters would show up at the White House and wait for a statement from the president, and then when there wasn't one, they'd just go home for the day.  They didn't hang around trying to get a story, they just went home.  But that doesn't exactly get people picking up the print, so they've become steadily more aggressive in their tactics until it's beyond ridiculous.  I understand people want to know what's going on, but I'd hate to be the President or a celebrity these days because there's a team of reporters ready to follow you EVERYWHERE.  If you go to the store to get milk late at night, someone's snapping a picture of you.  Your dress accidentally messes up, you're front page.

Personally?  I think it's all retarded.  I don't really follow much press, so some of this stuff comes out of left field.  I know newspapers face stiff competition to sell, but they shouldn't be hounding people day and night, performing illegal actions and whatnot.  That's just wrong.  And the fact this guy is now getting what's coming to him makes me happy.  They should break up his little empire into itty bitty pieces in each country, and limit the ability of reporters to seize information without permission.  People have a right to some privacy, and if you're in the news, you're hounded until they try and snatch every piece of information from you and then leave you sitting there trying to figure out what happened.
My DeviantArt

Ons and Offs Updated 9 October 2022