The Long Summer (ASOIAF) (System Game) (PbtA)

Started by Cute Bunny, February 19, 2023, 01:56:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cute Bunny

Hello everyone! I'm super excited to begin recruitment for a game idea I've had in my head for a while. I'm looking for a small group of people who would be interested in writing a story set in the universe of the Song of Ice and Fire novels. For those unfamiliar, A Song of Ice and Fire is the name of the book series that the TV show Game of Thrones is based on. Knowledge of the series/show is preferred, but is not a requirement for this game. An interest and willingness to learn about the setting is fine.

The game will be a system game that utilizes The Sword, The Crown, and The Unspeakable Power's (SCUP) rules. SCUP is a lightweight, narrative focused RPG that can be easily picked up by anyone. The RPG is heavily inspired by ASOIAF and focuses on creating engaging and political dark fantasy stories. SCUP is a powered by the apocalypse game, and you may have seen recruitment threads for similar apocalypse powered games if you're an active member of this sub-forum. Experience with SCUP, Powered by the Apocalypse, or RPGs in general, is not a requirement for this game.

The general concept for this game is that the story will focus on small scale politics surrounding a minor house in the Reach. Rather than the large scale wars and politics of the main series, this game aims to explore issues in less influential regions, and how the various characters deal with those issues.

Themes from the series I would like to include:

• A wide cast of characters, each with their own goals and motivations.
  • Conflicts that do not have a distinct good and evil side.
  • Class distinctions and how that effects the characters from each social class.
  • Arranged political marriages, and the dynamics of those.
  • Immersive and realistic atmosphere.

Things from the series that will not be included:

• The current plan is to set the story sometime shortly after Robert's Rebellion, but this is subject to change. That being said, the game will be our own version of the universe. Things will not be 100% book accurate.
  • With that in mind, the game will not feature canon characters heavily, nor will it focus on following the plot of the main series. The game is not about interacting with main series characters, or changing the plot of the main series.
  • Ages for general life milestones will be raised by a few years. If you've read the books, you're familiar with how young some of the characters are when certain things happen to them. In our game it will not be uncommon for girls to marry a few years later than they would in the books, and boys will also typically remain squires for longer periods of time.

Subject Matter and Sexual Content

The game will feature a similar tone and subject matter as the main series, so you can expect pretty similar content to that. Smut and sexual content is encouraged from players, but the game will not revolve around sex and kink play. I enjoy themes of dubious consent that can result from arranged marriages, blackmail, or power dynamics between highborn and lower class people, but this game will not heavily focus on non-consensual play, despite its prevalence in the setting. The game will be placed in the NC-Human section.

What I am looking for from players:

• I am planning on maintaining a posting schedule of 2 posts a week for this game. It may be that I can post more frequently for this game, but this is the minimum that I should be able to guarantee. I am looking for players who can match the 2 posts a week, or who can post more frequently.
  • The game will be played in threads on E, but Discord will be required for easier OOC communication and planning. People who enjoy maintaining OOC discussion pertaining to the RP are preferred.
  • Players with an interest in system games are preferred.

If you're interested in playing, please respond here and let me know! I'd also love to answer any questions you have. If you have no questions, you can always tell us about your experience when it comes to the Ice and Fire setting, RPGs, and what sort of character/themes you would want to explore!

Lorgar94

I'd love to play this actually. I have no experience with anything PbtA (unless you count a forum game of Monsterhearts where all rules were obfuscated behind GM fiat) but I'm happy to learn and I have experience with enough varied systems that I think I'd pick it up quickly.

Given the setting, should I assume magic classes are out of bounds, or are we making room for greenseers etc?
O/O

Small power the word has, and can afford us, not half so much privilege as the sword does.

Cold Heritage

I'm interested. My knowledge of PbtA games is fair. My knowledge of ASOIAF is middling - I read I want to say three of the books years ago and only watched a handful of episodes of the first season of the show, and I am aware of some of the plot elements of the final season because of online discussions.

The playbooks that interest me the most are the Gauntlet, the Screw, and the Spur.
Thank you, fellow Elliquiyan, and have a wonderful day.

Kakihara

I'm tentatively interested though I'm wondering how much knowledge of ASOIAF is required as I watched some of the TV show but could never really get into the novels myself.  Though I did back The Sword, The Crown, and The Unspeakable Power on Kickstarter so I'm fairly well understanding of the system though I've yet to convince my group to play it so I don't have play experience with it.

Cute Bunny

Quote from: Lorgar94 on February 19, 2023, 02:26:28 PM
I'd love to play this actually. I have no experience with anything PbtA (unless you count a forum game of Monsterhearts where all rules were obfuscated behind GM fiat) but I'm happy to learn and I have experience with enough varied systems that I think I'd pick it up quickly.

Given the setting, should I assume magic classes are out of bounds, or are we making room for greenseers etc?

The game features magic in the form of The Unspeakable Power. The Unspeakable Power is the source of magic within the system in the same way the various Gods seem to fuel the magic in the Ice and Fire world. Certain playbooks in SCUP can harness the Unspeakable Power in more effective ways.

Quote from: Kakihara on February 19, 2023, 04:28:09 PM
I'm tentatively interested though I'm wondering how much knowledge of ASOIAF is required as I watched some of the TV show but could never really get into the novels myself.  Though I did back The Sword, The Crown, and The Unspeakable Power on Kickstarter so I'm fairly well understanding of the system though I've yet to convince my group to play it so I don't have play experience with it.

Extensive knowledge of the setting isn't required. As long as you understand the basic foundations of the setting, that would be enough.

I'll get to work setting up a Discord server for planning tonight, and I can send out invites to those who are interested.

Lorgar94

Quote from: Cute Bunny on February 19, 2023, 04:33:07 PM
The game features magic in the form of The Unspeakable Power. The Unspeakable Power is the source of magic within the system in the same way the various Gods seem to fuel the magic in the Ice and Fire world. Certain playbooks in SCUP can harness the Unspeakable Power in more effective ways.

Alright. I did give the book a brief look, but I wasn't sure if you'd be keeping the Unspeakable Power or just running my second favourite game "The Sword, the Crown and the File Not Found." If the "magic" is abstracted then I guess there's no issue.

I was mainly looking at playing a Voice. Every ASoIaF narrative needs a moustache-twirling schemer.

Is it okay if I PM you my discord handle rather than publishing it here?
O/O

Small power the word has, and can afford us, not half so much privilege as the sword does.

Cute Bunny

Quote from: Lorgar94 on February 19, 2023, 05:03:55 PM
Alright. I did give the book a brief look, but I wasn't sure if you'd be keeping the Unspeakable Power or just running my second favourite game "The Sword, the Crown and the File Not Found." If the "magic" is abstracted then I guess there's no issue.

I was mainly looking at playing a Voice. Every ASoIaF narrative needs a moustache-twirling schemer.

Is it okay if I PM you my discord handle rather than publishing it here?

I've just PM'd you a link to the server. You don't need to give me your username or anything.

The server is set up now, and I'll PM people invites once they've confirmed their interest.

WaitingCynicism

I'd be interested! I have some experience with PBTA and ASOIAF.

Cold Heritage

Thank you, fellow Elliquiyan, and have a wonderful day.

Cute Bunny

Just as an update, we currently have 3 players eagerly waiting, and are looking for some more!

Levi

I would be interested. I've read some of the  song of ice and fire books and watched a little of the series. No experience on the game play you've mentioned but very interested
A Working Progress.             Posting responses are: Slow.    Updated

Cute Bunny

Awesome. PM'd you an invite to the Discord we're using for planning :)

WilyRiley

I would be interested in this!

I will throw out there that I am not entirely familiar with the system and it's been a while since I have dug into ASOIAF. :/

I learn quick and am fantastic at nodding and smiling, though!

Cute Bunny

Perfect! 5 players gives us a solid number to start with. I'll keep this post open for the next week or so if anyone else wanted to join before we started.