Seeking Elliquiyans Abroad for Superhero World Building!

Started by Skynet, November 04, 2021, 05:53:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skynet

Greetings! This request thread is a bit different than others. For one, it concerns less about stories proper and more about crafting a world for which those stories take place, although becoming a writing partner is always on the table if our interests click! For a little over a year I’ve been working on and off of my fanon interpretation of the Freedomverse, a fictional world for the Mutants & Masterminds tabletop RPG. Although the genre is USA-centric, I liked the idea of a more ‘global’ focus where the ideals of superheroes can be found outside of America and the West. But as a US citizen who only speaks English my grasp of many nations can be a bit lacking. So what I’m looking for are Elliquiyans who can fill in for my weaknesses and also help with ideas on how their home country (or countries they lived in for a while) would look like in a comic book universe. You will of course be credited in the help of such write-ups with a big thank you! :)

I’m not seeking in-depth cultural atlases, but rather relatively short entries focusing on the “superhuman” side of things ranging from several hundred to a thousand words per country. Subjects such as what sorts of urban legends may be real rather than fictional, how superhumans may have helped shaped its society and history, and what types of mythological and pop culture figures in the existing culture would be prime contenders as potential metahumans and/or superheroes (or their storied descendants and inheritors). For an example of what completed entries look like, check out the spoiler blocks at the bottom of this post.

To get this out of the way, I’m not interested in whitewashing or downplaying government actions that are authoritarian, bigoted, or imperialist. I don’t expect my world-building to be involved political dramas or focus on foreign politics which I’m not well read-up on, and I know that no nation is a monolith in its policies. But don’t expect me to justify things such as military occupations, extralegal imprisonment of dissidents, or enforcement of discriminatory laws in my write-ups. Superheroes can still come from such nations, but will most likely either be non-state actors or attempting to subvert the system to some degree if such issues do come up.

Story-Priority Nations

Nations in Europe. One of my existing RPs is a cross-country roadtrip in said continent, so material here may see the most immediate use. High priority for ones in bold.

Austria
Belarus
Belgium
Czech Republic
Denmark
Germany
Finland
Hungary
Ireland
Italy
Microstates (Andorra, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Malta, San Marino)
Netherlands (already written, but without native help)
Norway
Portugal
Romania
Spain
Sweden
Switzerland
Ukraine

Next-Level Priority

Ones that don't fit the above priorities or related themes, but would still be interesting to do. Ones in bold tie into characters and events in existing or craving-for RPs or those that tickle my fancy at the moment.

Argentina
Australia
Botswana
Brazil
Canada
Chile
Colombia
India
Indonesia
Malaysia
Mexico
Nepal