Still trying to figure out Spoilers with the new format

Started by CyranoDeBergerac, May 07, 2024, 08:40:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CyranoDeBergerac

Being honest, I've never been particularly good at coding. Though I would like to think that I was getting the hang of it before the crash happened. Since then, I have had difficulties with spoiler tabs with the new format. At first I thought it was an issue copy-pasting from Blue Moon Roleplaying, but I'm beginning to realize that it is more related to a lack of knowledge on my part than anything else. Currently here is what I'm trying to do: 

Name of Thing

One of these with a picture

one of these with a picture

Another of these, another picture

et cetera

And so here, it works as intended, yet in the draft that I'm attempting to use including pictures it  only include the first spoiler "Name of Thing" in the folder and leaves everything else ( including the /SPOILER part) out. Any ideas for what I'm doing wrong? 

RedPhoenix

It will screw up spoilers if you don't put anything in them. So if you're trying to preview before you've actually added stuff in that may be it? It may also require text and not just an image but I'm not sure on that. Can you post the actual code you're using between code tags so we can see?

so it looks like this, use [code] to start and the usual ending tag which I can't type because it will end the code section :P
Apologies & Absences | Ons & Offs | Canon in Red
I move the stars for no one.

CyranoDeBergerac

Quote from: RedPhoenix on May 07, 2024, 09:16:10 PMIt will screw up spoilers if you don't put anything in them. So if you're trying to preview before you've actually added stuff in that may be it? It may also require text and not just an image but I'm not sure on that. Can you post the actual code you're using between code tags so we can see?

so it looks like this, use [code] to start and the usual ending tag which I can't type because it will end the code section :P
Thanks for offering to help! I really don't think I can since I'm using some of the buttons meant to assist. so it's as you see above. 

(SPOILER=Name of Thing) 

float left button, with picture. 
float right button with picture 
float left button with picture. 
(/SPOILER) 

RedPhoenix

I took the exact same code and put image links in place of the words saying images would go there, here is the result:

Name of Thing

So, yeah, I'm not sure what it is you want it to do that it's not?

Nowherewoman

Quote from: CyranoDeBergerac on May 08, 2024, 07:23:38 AMThanks for offering to help! I really don't think I can since I'm using some of the buttons meant to assist. so it's as you see above.

(SPOILER=Name of Thing)

float left button, with picture.
float left button with picture.
(/SPOILER)

I'd suggest typing the code rather than using the helper buttons as a bugtest- the WYSIWYG editor is known glitchy, and *sometimes* the code buttons seem to wonk out, too, though not often.

My eyes are a window to the storm that's getting close.

more me here now!  (O/Os, ideas and junk): https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=215830.0

and mea culpas  (A/As): https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=221151.0

CyranoDeBergerac

Quote from: Nowherewoman on May 08, 2024, 06:10:01 PMI'd suggest typing the code rather than using the helper buttons as a bugtest- the WYSIWYG editor is known glitchy, and *sometimes* the code buttons seem to wonk out, too, though not often.

What is the current code for shift left/right if you don't mind reminding me NWW?
Quote from: RedPhoenix on May 08, 2024, 08:17:56 AMI took the exact same code and put image links in place of the words saying images would go there, here is the result:

so here's just the straight copy and paste from what's not working.

Haskell Mining Consortium

Robinette 'Bob' Haskell

Kjartan Aslaksen, treasurer

Margaret Haskell nee Armitage

Mars Armitage,

Which now that it's apparently working here compounds the mystery of why it's not working in the preview for the world building thread. facepalms

Nowherewoman

Code looks right, though if you want the pics to line up side by side, you need to get rid of all the binding spaces between the blocks (or use tables, which I suck at in BBS, so someone else will have to help you with that). Unsure why it wouldn't work in another thread.

Not sure what the 'max=' tag is supposed to do; removing it doesn't seem to change anything, but that may be ignorance on my part.

more me here now!  (O/Os, ideas and junk): https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=215830.0

RedPhoenix

Oh yeah, disable the WYSIWG editor. That thing is just haunted or something.

If you click on the arrow next to your profile in the upper left you'll see a drop down menu. Three choices down or so on the left hand column is a choice called "Look and Layout" click that.

If you go to your "Look and Layout" options under "Posting" there is a checkbox that say "Load editor in WYSIWYG mode by default."

Uncheck that box.

Amaris

Quote from: Nowherewoman on May 08, 2024, 06:41:25 PMCode looks right, though if you want the pics to line up side by side, you need to get rid of all the binding spaces between the blocks (or use tables, which I suck at in BBS, so someone else will have to help you with that). Unsure why it wouldn't work in another thread.

Not sure what the 'max=' tag is supposed to do; removing it doesn't seem to change anything, but that may be ignorance on my part.

It does that with float tags automatically now and what it does is give the max percentage of the width of the page that the image is allowed to take up I believe. So, if you have multiple images or text or whatever that is floated, it can't take up more than 45% of the width of the page. If you set it to 100, it can go all the way across. I had to figure that out after getting very frustrated with character sheets lol

Nowherewoman

CyranoDeBergerac

Quote from: Amaris on May 10, 2024, 05:42:21 PMIt does that with float tags automatically now and what it does is give the max percentage of the width of the page that the image is allowed to take up I believe. So, if you have multiple images or text or whatever that is floated, it can't take up more than 45% of the width of the page. If you set it to 100, it can go all the way across. I had to figure that out after getting very frustrated with character sheets lol
So do you think because I copy pasted it here, and they already had those sizes, that's why the float tags didn't mess with the spoiler tags here?

Amaris

To be honest, I'm not sure. Code is one of those things I kinda have to see and see what it does to figure out what could be messing with it. Try changing the percentages on your float tag to 100 and see if it helps?

Nowherewoman

Quote from: RedPhoenix on May 08, 2024, 06:51:33 PMOh yeah, disable the WYSIWG editor. That thing is just haunted or something.

If you click on the arrow next to your profile in the upper left you'll see a drop down menu. Three choices down or so on the left hand column is a choice called "Look and Layout" click that.

If you go to your "Look and Layout" options under "Posting" there is a checkbox that say "Load editor in WYSIWYG mode by default."

Uncheck that box.
You can also use the clickie to the right of the options bar on the post page that says 'show source view' or something like that.

CyranoDeBergerac

Quote from: RedPhoenix on May 08, 2024, 06:51:33 PMOh yeah, disable the WYSIWG editor. That thing is just haunted or something.

Uncheck that box.

Finally got around to making this change, looks like I had an extra center up front somewhere, or didn't close it off at the end to make them all centered.