Board/Thread Permissions

Started by Greenthorn, June 30, 2023, 06:23:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Greenthorn

First, I apologize for so many questions lately, but this is what happens when I finally get into my writing groove here  ::)


Is it possible, within the mechanics of the forum, to allow a member to view only ONE singular board (not sure if that is the correct term) and not have any other permissions on Elliquiy (no pms, no sb, no access to ANY other boards)? For example, Memberxyz can only see, and post/modify their own posts in threads under Play-by-Post Light, or even more stricter, Light: Human Solos?


And if it is possible, is it a pain in the ass to implement?

Dale

I can't see it being workable, or desirable, really.

Members gain the full set of privileges to use or not use as they wish. They can disable the SB.
 
Access to Rules and Announcements is necessary for members to keep up to date with any changes that may affect them.

It would undoubtedly add to Staff's workload when all a member need do is avoid boards and subforums they don't wish to access.

Flower

The closest alternative I can think of is to minimize each section and add those boards to the 'Ignore Board Options' in your profile. You could also change your messaging preference (also in your profile) from 'All members' to 'Administrators Only.' Hope that is helpful. ☺️

Oniya

Quote from: Greenthorn on June 30, 2023, 06:23:41 AM
First, I apologize for so many questions lately, but this is what happens when I finally get into my writing groove here  ::)


Is it possible, within the mechanics of the forum, to allow a member to view only ONE singular board (not sure if that is the correct term) and not have any other permissions on Elliquiy (no pms, no sb, no access to ANY other boards)? For example, Memberxyz can only see, and post/modify their own posts in threads under Play-by-Post Light, or even more stricter, Light: Human Solos?


And if it is possible, is it a pain in the ass to implement?

Such a thing only occurs with Suspension or Hiatus.  With the former, they have access to a single board where Staff talks with them about what has led to their suspension.  With the latter, they have access to a single board where they post to let us know when they are ready to return to the site.

In both cases, they do not have access to their profile or their posts.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Greenthorn

Yikes!  :D  So it would be a pain in the ass... got it!


The reason why I was asking was for GMs of small games. I've talked to a few of said GMs and some of them also play a character in their games or want to but are hesitant to ruin the GM "status". My logical brain says having another "throwaway username" would be great to separate character posts from GM posts, but I know how that would cause way too many issues/headaches/potential tomfoolery if allowed, hence wondering if by mechanics it could work (blocking any kind of potential for said tomfoolery). But now... true... it would be a PITA to oversee it.

Haibane

I think one has to exercise one's will power over such things. My willpower is pitifully weak - like only 2nd Level so I switch off a few things to make myself not go there and so on!

While I can understand the desire for a GM to want to stand back from too many of the wrong kinds of interactions in an RP there may be ways around it such as playing specific kinds of characters. I recall that Hermione from Harry Potter was written as a kind of constant oracle so that whatever she said was going to be correct or would pan out in the end, something like that. One could design a GM-written character who was the opposite! GMs can also plant information onto characters by PMing it to players which is trick I use now and then.

I hope some of that is helpful, though maybe its not. I tend to mentally wander off on a ramble a lot.

Oniya

Quote from: Greenthorn on June 30, 2023, 11:03:00 AM
Yikes!  :D  So it would be a pain in the ass... got it!


The reason why I was asking was for GMs of small games. I've talked to a few of said GMs and some of them also play a character in their games or want to but are hesitant to ruin the GM "status". My logical brain says having another "throwaway username" would be great to separate character posts from GM posts, but I know how that would cause way too many issues/headaches/potential tomfoolery if allowed, hence wondering if by mechanics it could work (blocking any kind of potential for said tomfoolery). But now... true... it would be a PITA to oversee it.

That would still count as a 'second account', which is already a no-no.  From what I've seen of groups in general, the usual method of distinguishing IC posts is with some sort of header - A GM that wanted to distinguish 'narrative' posts from 'character' posts would be most likely to leave off any sort of 'character picture' in such a header, or could potentially use a 'non-character' image - a pen, an open book, or even something designating the setting are three options that wandered through my head as options.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Kakihara

Quote from: Oniya on June 30, 2023, 04:18:09 PM
That would still count as a 'second account', which is already a no-no.  From what I've seen of groups in general, the usual method of distinguishing IC posts is with some sort of header - A GM that wanted to distinguish 'narrative' posts from 'character' posts would be most likely to leave off any sort of 'character picture' in such a header, or could potentially use a 'non-character' image - a pen, an open book, or even something designating the setting are three options that wandered through my head as options.
How Oniya is mention seems to be how I see most people do group games on E having both their own PCs and NPCs to move a story.  Sadly, the design of E doesn't allow for what you are looking for as this would require more a forum set up like RPoL which does allow this as every group is it's own sub-forum and you can set each character/role and what forums they can see.  But that is built into it's base design which is not the base set up of E. 

Greenthorn

Quote from: Oniya on June 30, 2023, 04:18:09 PM
That would still count as a 'second account', which is already a no-no.  From what I've seen of groups in general, the usual method of distinguishing IC posts is with some sort of header - A GM that wanted to distinguish 'narrative' posts from 'character' posts would be most likely to leave off any sort of 'character picture' in such a header, or could potentially use a 'non-character' image - a pen, an open book, or even something designating the setting are three options that wandered through my head as options.


Yeah, I know about the second account rule, which is why I asked about the permissions stuffs  :D . That's actually a good idea, using a picture for a header!


Quote from: Kakihara on June 30, 2023, 04:48:45 PM
How Oniya is mention seems to be how I see most people do group games on E having both their own PCs and NPCs to move a story.  Sadly, the design of E doesn't allow for what you are looking for as this would require more a forum set up like RPoL which does allow this as every group is it's own sub-forum and you can set each character/role and what forums they can see.  But that is built into it's base design which is not the base set up of E. 


Actually sounds very cool. I'm not techie so I've no idea if we could ever have something like this, but it would certainly be useful. It seems like small group games have gained popularity since back in the day... or maybe I just didn't notice back then... could definitely be the latter for sure!

Oniya

Quote from: Greenthorn on June 30, 2023, 07:05:33 PM
That's actually a good idea, using a picture for a header!

I don't do groups at all - my creative muse hits annoying dry spells that would make it unfair to others waiting on me - but I've seen some groups where players have multiple characters, and they'll use pictures in the post header to distinguish between those.  It seemed a smol leap to distinguish a GM from a GM character.  :D
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Greenthorn

Quote from: Oniya on June 30, 2023, 07:16:17 PM
I don't do groups at all - my creative muse hits annoying dry spells that would make it unfair to others waiting on me - but I've seen some groups where players have multiple characters, and they'll use pictures in the post header to distinguish between those.  It seemed a smol leap to distinguish a GM from a GM character.  :D


That's when you give a two liner to just move on ;) I think many group players have done it  ;D

RedPhoenix

Just wanted to say imo there are a lot of very successful groups that have GMs that are also players! =)
Apologies & Absences | Ons & Offs | Canon in Red | Red Hot Thoughts
She trod on sacred ground, she screamed loud into the crowd, "I'm a Blackstar."

Greenthorn

Quote from: RedPhoenix on July 01, 2023, 01:07:29 AM
Just wanted to say imo there are a lot of very successful groups that have GMs that are also players! =)


Indeed! I even know a group that switches GMs every week! Also, Red... 177 days

RedPhoenix

Apologies & Absences | Ons & Offs | Canon in Red | Red Hot Thoughts
She trod on sacred ground, she screamed loud into the crowd, "I'm a Blackstar."