You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

January 19, 2018, 11:46:52 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Send us your theme!

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: Fitness, excercising, physical training  (Read 561 times)

Offline Captain MalteseTopic starter

Re: Fitness, excercising, physical training
« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2017, 01:26:22 PM »
Gah. I still needed more sweat from my morning sessions. So early this week I bit the bullet and broke a promise to myself, and went and bought a treadmill. No more dancing on the spot; instead I am for the moment on 15 minutes of milling per day. I have to admit that it is a lot more effective for sweat production and my feet and knees are happier - but wearing proper jogging shoes might be part of the reason for that. For the moment the goal is to increase the mileage rather than the time spent (meaning speeding up the jogging session), as the total session per morning is getting long enough that I am afraid an even longer session will be taking chances with my right-out-of-bed-every-morning motivation.

Offline Nico

• #FAmily, Jag's Mulder - Deviously delicious - according to a certain, most awesome Liege ;) #Terrible #SorryNotSorry #MuseCrack. #NSFShades - Spoiler buttons are evil. 42,19km!
  • Centurion
  • Carnite
  • #JeSuisUnAnge #ReallyIAm #BlameMads
  • My Role Play Preferences
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2017, 11:05:50 PM »
It is all about the right shoes. ~nodnod~ I'm doing long-distance running and if something is really essential, then it's the footwear. It goes a long way and usually helps avoid bad pain and this, in turn, helps to avoid frustration because of the wrong kind of pain. Threadmills are no bad things at all, we've got one at home as well.

« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2017, 04:03:49 PM »
Still at it. All pay loads keep increasing, and now I need a smaller belt. So all is well. However, now there are a few minor notes on diet. In general I have been keeping an eye on what I eat for years - not too difficult for someone living alone. 'Keeping an eye on' is not the same as keeping it in check, though. But at least it gets easy to notice when something changes. Ever since I started this round of exercising I have made sure to do the whole routine before breakfast. No surprise then that my breakfast appetite is sharper - but the meal is still the same size. What I have tried out a couple of mornings now is to have half an energy bar just as I get started; the energy increase was noticeably but I was not happy about eating and treadmilling at the same time. Instead I am now trying out an energy drink which is not filling the tummy in the same way but still gives a little buzz; it also means I get more water down which also helps - I am certainly sweating more. This I will explore further.

There is also an effect on dinner, which I did not expect. I am somehow less hungry, so the meal is smaller. And instead of having the leftovers for the evening they get put in the fridge for another day's dinner. Since I buy as much food as before, my fridge is bulging at this point - this habit needs to change. The evening meal is now scheduled for no later than 8 pm; until recently I'd have a good meal as late as 1am if I felt like. I seem to manage.

And here is the weirdest part. My intake of snacks is dropping like a stone. My weekly intake of salted chips and the like is down to a couple of crackers, and chocolate which I used with my coffee is way down in volume. The only thing that has increased some is fruit, which I am using in the smoothies I keep in the fridge. Even milk, which I always have been drinking like a calf, is down from a river to a brook. And after 30 years of light milk, I suddenly prefer the fat free skimmed type. Believe me - I do NOT have the kind of will power to make dietary changes like this happen. It is just happening. 

« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2018, 01:53:05 PM »
Well, it's now been two months with treadmilling and possibly three, maybe close to four months of daily exercising in total. Still sticking to the morning routine, which by now have ballooned to almost an hour. The daily sequence is now treadmill > biceps curl dumbbells > situps > barbell shoulder lifts. I'm pondering throwing in a new element but have not decided what yet, but it should preferably focus on other muscle groups. All is well and it is paying off in waistline and muscle. I have a new and shorter belt. Also I have an MP3 player with headphones with a mixed back of old and new music, which helps on keeping the feet going - it's 2 kilometers every day now. Another tool of keeping my steam up is the energy drink I have been testing out for a while, or actually two variants thereof. Reviews are coming next.

Also I have been continuing the study of various supplemental bars, and the variety in brands is becoming bewildering since I found as much as four grocery and sports stores with a considerable selection. I had no idea there was so much to choose between, and I am bringing home several bars every time I go shopping now. Some new and some I have decided I really like. Basically I avoid the basic meal bars and anything cereal, and I am not hot on energy bars either since I still eat normal food - it might be different if I was going to gyms. The type I mostly go for are variations of protein bars, which both fit with my exercising program and are somewhat filling and make small sized meals. There'll be a couple of reviews coming on that as well.

« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2018, 06:27:19 PM »

Name: Maxim Sports Drink
Price: about 10 dollars for a 480 grams can of powder
Contents (per single scoop): 17 grams of carbs, including 7 grams of sugar, 100 milligrams of potassium and 18 milligrams of magnesium. The actual contents are mostly maltodextrin and fructosis.
Energy: 70 calories.

This is the sports drink I am using currently. After buying and using the lemon version for a while, I also bought the orange flavored variation. Does not seem to differ much in anything but taste. There is also a tropical fruit version, which I have not sampled as yet.

My daily intake is one spoon of powder, diluted in half a bottle of water. I tried to up the dosage but it didn't really make a difference.

One of the more complicated things about this stuff is that once mixed, it need to be consumed fairly soon. I either mix this stuff right before I head to bed and put it in the fridge, or I mix it in the morning immediately before use. Any leftovers, which there usually isn't much of, are poured out.

Conclusion: how effective this stuff is for someone like me, is hard to say. I am not exactly a sports person and my body is not being worked to its last fiber on a daily basis. But it does beat drinking bland water and I do get an energy buzz out of a good mouthful while I'm on the treadmill, so I will be using it until I find something better. Considering how many spoons I get out of one can the cost can't be more than a few cents per day.

« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2018, 01:38:21 PM »
I could use a little help. About five years ago I found this one in a second hand store, at a grand price of seven dollars or so. I paid for it, brought it home, put it in a wardrobe and promptly forgot about it. Now I have brought it out however, and one question nags me.... exactly what am I supposed to be doing with this contraption?

Offline Nico

• #FAmily, Jag's Mulder - Deviously delicious - according to a certain, most awesome Liege ;) #Terrible #SorryNotSorry #MuseCrack. #NSFShades - Spoiler buttons are evil. 42,19km!
  • Centurion
  • Carnite
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2018, 02:10:46 PM »
I could use a little help. About five years ago I found this one in a second hand store, at a grand price of seven dollars or so. I paid for it, brought it home, put it in a wardrobe and promptly forgot about it. Now I have brought it out however, and one question nags me.... exactly what am I supposed to be doing with this contraption?

It's a good device for sit-ups.

« Reply #32 on: January 09, 2018, 02:22:28 PM »
It's a good device for sit-ups.

Hm. I tested it. By inserting my feet under the top crossbar(?), over the middle one and behind the bottom one, I could indeed lay my back down the bench plate, and then use the leg anchor to hoist my upper body back to a vertical position. Sure gets the blood flowing to the head. I'm not used to playing a bat but I can do this, for a few situps at least. What I really need to know next is what I am achieving with this, that isn't already happening in my regular situps. Perhaps it moves more strain to the legs?

Offline Nico

• Centurion
  • Carnite
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #33 on: January 09, 2018, 02:25:34 PM »
Hm. I tested it. By inserting my feet under the top crossbar(?), over the middle one and behind the bottom one, I could indeed lay my back down the bench plate, and then use the leg anchor to hoist my upper body back to a vertical position. Sure gets the blood flowing to the head. I'm not used to playing a bat but I can do this, for a few situps at least. What I really need to know next is what I am achieving with this, that isn't already happening in my regular situps. Perhaps it moves more strain to the legs?
Yep, that's exactly it. It helps building up muscle in your legs, upper and lower. It also helps to keep the position without shifting back onad forth on the ground, which isn't really recommendable because it does nothing good for the spine.

« Reply #34 on: January 09, 2018, 02:34:21 PM »
Yep, that's exactly it. It helps building up muscle in your legs, upper and lower. It also helps to keep the position without shifting back onad forth on the ground, which isn't really recommendable because it does nothing good for the spine.

Right. I have been pleased with the treadmilling but I guess it has been better for general stamina and burn than for building muscles. I'll be trying this out for a few days. Does me good to do something new.

Anything else I can do with it? I've seen other gym benches be used for weight lifting and other things, but they did not look exactly like this one. And I am not going to add a lifting rig to my living room but I COULD perhaps juryrig something to make it a horizontal bench, like a wall hook for the free end.

Offline Nico

• Centurion
  • Carnite
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #35 on: January 09, 2018, 03:30:50 PM »
Right. I have been pleased with the treadmilling but I guess it has been better for general stamina and burn than for building muscles. I'll be trying this out for a few days. Does me good to do something new.

Anything else I can do with it? I've seen other gym benches be used for weight lifting and other things, but they did not look exactly like this one. And I am not going to add a lifting rig to my living room but I COULD perhaps juryrig something to make it a horizontal bench, like a wall hook for the free end.
I suppose you also can use it for weight lifting. My husband does that. Hooking his legs, keeping them in place and then lifting the weights with his arms.  But it's really best for sit-ups, I'd say.

« Reply #36 on: January 09, 2018, 03:47:47 PM »
I suppose you also can use it for weight lifting. My husband does that. Hooking his legs, keeping them in place and then lifting the weights with his arms.  But it's really best for sit-ups, I'd say.

He is lying down at an angle like that while lifting? Or is the bench flat at the time? I admit that the first version there worries me, bloodflow-wise.

Offline Nico

• Centurion
  • Carnite
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #37 on: January 09, 2018, 04:12:54 PM »
He is lying down at an angle like that while lifting? Or is the bench flat at the time? I admit that the first version there worries me, bloodflow-wise.
He's doing both. The first one not so long of course. I've tried it. It's difficult! The latter is easier, more comfortable and better for beginners.

« Reply #38 on: January 09, 2018, 04:31:07 PM »
He's doing both. The first one not so long of course. I've tried it. It's difficult! The latter is easier, more comfortable and better for beginners.

Yeah, I won't be leaving the rookie level any time soon so it will have to be the second option for now. Now I have several new things to try out. Thank you Nico.

Offline Nico

• Centurion
  • Carnite
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #39 on: January 09, 2018, 04:34:58 PM »
Yeah, I won't be leaving the rookie level any time soon so it will have to be the second option for now. Now I have several new things to try out. Thank you Nico.
You're quite welcome. :-) Good luck and have fun!