You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

December 04, 2016, 12:12:42 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Send us your theme!

Hark!  The Herald!
Holiday Issue 2016

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: We Could Be Heroes; Super Sexy Superhero RP, ALL CHARACTERS WELCOME!  (Read 18371 times)

Offline Vergil TannerTopic starter

Right! So, to cut a long story short before I start rambling, I was the GM of a Teenage Super Hero RP called "We Could Be Heroes (Sexy Superhero HS RP)," but after it began to slow down and lose direction, I opted to REBOOT! Which means we are now starting from the VERY beginning, and welcoming all new players, with ABSOLUTELY NO canon connection to the last game! So it's a whole new reality! The other universe got....I dunno, destroyed by a Black Hole created by an evil collection of...um...Squirrels. Yeah, let's go with that.

So, the story! The RP follows a group of senior High School students who have just started their final year of High School at a prestigious public school named "Malcolm Wheeler High," and are currently on the start of year annual Senior Ski Trip. Major Malcolm Wheeler-Nicholson High School is a large, comprehensive high school that serves the needs of a diverse student body. It has a world famous STEM program that feeds int Caltech and a theater program that has graduated more then it's fair share of stars. It's faculty are all thought leaders in their field of expertise and hail from all corners of the globe. More students graduate and go to top colleges and unversities then any other high school in the area and the financial aid rewards, in aggregate, are the highest as well. The crown jewel of the school district, it is an shining example of successful education in the 21st century. 

All characters are either students or staff from Major Malcolm Wheeler-Nicholson High School in New York (state). They've spent at least a year in school together sharing classes, attending school events and living in the same community so even the "Loner" is a known quantity, if only cursorily.  It's mid October and the students are on a school trip to the Copper Mountain Ski Resort in Colorado.  They are, to all intents and purposes, normal teenagers with their own various issues and dramas as per High School norm, and all have their own dreams and hopes for the future, looking to go to university, get an Apprenticeship, go into the family business or even just survive day to day due to their own personal circumstances. You have bookworms and nerds, you have goths and punks and Cheerleaders, you have Jocks and loners and over and underachievers of all stripes and colours. None of them are particularly abnormal by human standards, and none of them really have anything out of the ordinary in their futures....until The Event.TM Whilst on their Winter Ski Trip, a mysterious earthquake rocks the Resort and, after everybody has been accounted for, life returns to normal...until certain members of the year start manifesting odd, unnatural abilities. They start small...then grow into something powerful, quickly becoming unmanageable if they aren't mastered. Soon after, even weirder things start happening around MWH; Supervillains start crawling out of the woodwork, odd supernatural phenomenons occur with increasing regularity and everything from impromptu musicals to Eldritch Abominations seeking to invade our plane of existence must be thwarted if the cast are to live to see the next "Big Fad" or "Juicy Gossip." This will be a slightly tongue in cheek, lighthearted game...but things can and will get dark at times. It really depends on the players!

Of course, there are few restrictions on the powers, and will be considered on a Case-By-Case basis. Just bear in mind; this is
A) A DAY ONE game.
B) NOT Marvel or DC. The Power Scale will be FAR lower than that kind of strength level.

Now I must stress this: Nobody has experience with their powers. Part of this RP is exploring how these characters discover and react to their abilities, and chronicling how they get experience and what they do with them. Whilst many, many future plotlines are being planned, this is primarily a character driven RP. If you are looking for just mindless fight after random encounter, it is probably best to look elsewhere. Fights and altercations and drama are encouraged, of course, but only if they make sense given the characters.

So! I am looking for a cast of interesting, fleshed out, unique and balanced characters. They don't have to be emotionally or mentally stable - in fact, it is encouraged that they have their own issues, since that makes it interesting - but they do have to be playable and fit into the setting. Sociopaths, Psychotics, Schizophrenics, etc etc are not banned, but MUST be handled with care. Many of these conditions are sensitive issues, and if you do not feel confident in your ability to portray them accurately or sensitively, then please refrain from using them. Additionally, we would prefer to have no social pariahs or loners or people who suffer from social disabilities that prevent them from getting involved. Whilst these people do exist, of course, from a meta point of view they are very difficult to Roleplay in an engaging and interesting way since they - by necessity - cannot easily get involved with proceedings. This is just to make sure that everybody has a way to get involved, and to keep it interesting for you and the other players. Similarly, please no Mary Sue's, Gary Stu's or power-fantasy vehicles. They must be interesting, balanced characters. This is strictly mandatory.

- To start with, nobody gets more than one character. Second characters will be open to you once you've gotten into the game and gotten settled. I will have two characters, but that's because they are a "Package Deal" in how they are designed and I will be forgoing my option for a second character later on. :-)

- I would prefer no double up on powers. Currently, our approved powers are:

Photographic Cognitive and Reflexive Memory with enhanced thinking capacity and speed.
Suggestive Persuasion via proximity and touch.
Animal Communication
Pyrokinesis
Astral Projection
Technopath Engineer
"Living Metal" Form.
Empathmancy (Emotional Inspiration / limited manipulation)
Super Speed
Temporary Drone Clone
Telekinesis
Peak Human Physical Performance

Please try not to take one of these powers. You will be asked to change your power if you do so.

- Please commit to being active in the community. We want you to be an active voice in the creative process, so we don't just want a new character, we want an eager and excited participant.

If you're still reading, well...you must be interested! So I shall get onto how to apply now.

1) Concept. You will post here what your concept is. Questions will be asked by me, and requests made to edit certain details until the character fits the setting properly. Students and staff members alike are "Fair Game."

2) The successful characters will be moved to the Second Stage. In this stage, every other character and player will be able to have a freeform discussion on how their characters link together. You will then fill out a "Yearbook," which details how your character knows the others...since all characters must have been at the school for at least a year-ish, everybody would have at least heard of each other.

3) Approval. I will post your bio in the Approved Character thread, and you will be given access to the OOC Chatterbox, where most off topic chat happens. You will also be allowed to post your characters intro post.

Now! I will need three things from you if you are applying (and if you've read this far, I assume that you are). Please read the following carefully and include all of the requested information in the same post. Please and thank you! :D

1) A concept bio. Use the code and guidelines below. Please browse the list of approved characters here:https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=248604.0 and tailor your character to fill any gaps that you see. Unique characters that fill an empty niche will likely be more successful.

Code: [Select]

[b]NAME:[/b] (your birth name, coming up with super names can happen in game)

[b]AGE:[/b] (16+, no exceptions, yes you could play a super teacher or TA. If playing a student, playing a senior is preferred)

[b]SEX:[/b] (Male, Female or Other (if you were transformed by something))

[b]APPEARANCE:[/b] (A "Real Life" picture or written description)

[b]ORIENTATION:[/b] (Gay, Straight, Bi, Pan-sexual, Asexual, etc etc)

[b]RELATIONSHIP STATUS:[/b] (Single, BF/GF=, With X but cheating on them with Y, polyamorous, etc. Any specific character mentioned MUST be approved by its controller, and should be left until the Third Stage, if you get there).

[b]TYPE:[/b] (Nerd, Jock, Delinquent, Pretty, Cheerleader, Teacher, etc. Can overlap groups. See note on trying to fill niches if you see them)

[b]POWER THEME:[/b] (Psychic, Armor Suit, Feral Hybrid, Energy Controller, Speedster etc). This section MUST ALSO include a limiter to your power. An upper limit or balancer to prevent your character becoming too proportionally powerful. For example, "Super Strength: May lift anything up to fifty times his/her own weight."

[b]CHARACTER FLAW:[/b] (something critical to your character like 'Exposure to X will kill me', 'Must ingest Y to live', 'Can't break a promise', 'Painfully Shy', etc. Make it fun. This must include limiters and restrictions to the characters power AND a personality flaw or three of some kind).

[b]BIOGRAPHY:[/b]  A basic background of your character. The more interesting the better, but any unrealistic backgrounds will be called out as such. Keep it interesting, unique and [i]believable.[/i] You are looking to create a story with the other characters, [i]not[/i] defeat them in some way.

[b]Miscellaneous:[/b] Basically, any clubs that your character is part of, any interests they have, any extra activities they do outside of school, etc etc. Basically, extra fluff that you didn't get around to mentioning that might be relevant to their position at the school.

[b]THEME SONG:[/b] Just a little bit of fun! If your character had a theme song, what would it be?

2) I want to get to know you as a writer. You could have the most interesting character in the world, but if your writing style is not one that would mesh well with what I'm looking for, I would rather know beforehand so I waste as little of your time as possible. As such, along with your bio, please complete AT LEAST ONE of the following three writing prompts. Complete them as your character (though I would prefer it if you wrote in third person, first person isn't a dealbreaker so long as the style and structure is engaging and interesting) so I can also get a feel for the character itself, and you as a writer. My posts, personally, tend to be fairly long and detailed, so anything below two decent sized paragraphs is probably too little depending on the situation. It depends on the writer, but anything below six lines will immediately be rejected due to its incompatibility with what I'm looking for.

Writing Prompt One: It's the day of the big exam. Whether your character revised or not is up to you, but it's on the subject that your character hates. Guide us through his or her experience leading up to and during the exam.

Writing Prompt Two: This is it! The night of the big date with your big crush! The first one, in fact! How does the character prepare? How do they react? Show us some of the emotions running through their head.

Writing Prompt Three: Choose any situation or prompt you wish; this is your chance to select your own Prompt and go wild with your imagination. Basically, this is the one where we want you to show off your creativity and all of your writing ability. :-)

And for the moment, I believe that is about it. Applications are to be posted here and will remain open until further notice. During this process, questions will be asked, suggestions made and requests directed at applicants. Your responses will affect the final decision; this is, to all intents and purposes, an interview of the writer as well as the character.

Good luck! :D

Approved Character Thread

= = Approved Characters / Players = =

Males (7):

- Dante Young [Vergil Tanner]
- Ai Haruno [Tokyorose627]
- Arek Ellis [Birchleaf]
- Kyle Harris [Asminen]
- Dalton Carver [RPG33K]
- Jason Tavner [This One]

Females (6):

- Grace Young [Vergil Tanner]
- Juniper Wrigley [Mael]
- Kimi Michaels [Lady Kitsune]
- Nuo Qiang [Pumpkin Seeds]
- Buffy Black [Vergil1989]
- Nadra Tahira Darzi [Jarick]
« Last Edit: September 27, 2016, 05:57:20 AM by Vergil Tanner »

Re: We Could Be Heroes; A Super Sexy Superhero RP, REBOOT!
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2016, 06:58:47 AM »
Player Name: Vergil Tanner

-Name: Dante
-Nationality: He speaks with a crisp, upper-middle-class English accent, with a deep steel that you would not expect from one his age.

-Appearance:

Dante stands at about five foot eleven, with an athletically muscular build and a stern, angular face with a slightly squared chin but otherwise smooth features. His eyes are light blue in colour, not quite a white-blue but still closer to ice than to the ocean, and they carry with them a cool intellect that is somewhat disconcerting given his still young age. His black hair is cut short.

And, after some espionage on Grace's part, this is Dante's car:

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide

-Faceclaim: Matt Bomer

-Relationship status: Single.

-Personality:
Dante is cold, aloof and above all else, logical. He prides himself on being able to keep his head under pressure and make the tough calls, and views emotions as a distraction that - whilst important to being human - must be kept under control when necessary. Dante may come across as arrogant and rude, but he does not intend it that way; he is just now learning many of the social skills that people should learn in their pre-teens, and Grace is there if he steps too far out of line. For all his perceived arrogance, he does acknowledge when he has made a mistake, and is more than ready to apologise if he has done wrong. Most importantly, he always strives to learn from his mistakes and keep a realistic analysis of his strengths and weaknesses so he does not overexert or overestimate his abilities. Therefore, he is not above asking for help when he needs it; taking the most logical path, after all, just means taking the actions that are most likely to result in success...something that Hollywood doesn't quite seem to understand. He tends to hold most people at arms length due to some undisclosed experiences in the past, and neither he nor Grace ever talk about the specifics of the case.

What is apparent is that Dante went cold and distant in an effort to protect his little sister, and he would do anything to keep her safe. Also apparent is that the Twins have more than a few skeletons in their closets...even Grace. Dante is cold in regards to almost everybody and everything, rarely smiles, almost never laughs in public and is 100% serious, aloof and distant all the time, only focusing on helping himself and Grace. He may act aloof and distant, but he does genuinely care about the people close to him, though you could count them on one hand...he just has trouble expressing his emotions, and secretly feels an intensely crippling loneliness that he can't seem to remedy. He pretends to be strong and unbreakable, but beneath the surface he actually hurts quite a bit, and he's constantly at war with himself over what he needs and his perceived inability to get it and protect his sister at the same time. He goes out of his way to protect people who are being victimised - it being a sore spot for him - and does honestly try to help. He may come across as a dick sometimes, but in reality he's capable of being really rather sweet and caring...he just doesn't show that side of him because life has forced him into a shell that he's only now learning to come out of.

-Powers:
Dante possesses the ability to process information at a far greater rate, and the ability to store it in his mind perfectly. So, in short: Superhuman information processing and an eidetic cognitive and reflexive memory.
What this means:
- He can process information far faster than an ordinary human brain, allowing him to react to things faster, think through difficult problems faster and absorb information faster which in turn allows him to learn things at an increased pace.
- He can also use this processing power to duplicate other peoples movements and, given enough information, predict their movements (though this ability would take a lot of time to master, and would require him to know the other person in-depth to make accurate predictions; so he wouldn't be able to predict their movements after only five minutes knowing them personally, for example).
- It grants him an eidetic cognitive and reflexive memory, allowing him to recall facts and movements perfectly (though, as mentioned below, this doesn't mean he understands them).
- Due to his increased information processing, he possesses superhuman reflexes, allowing him to react to things far faster than an ordinary human.

- Flaw:
His cool and aloof personality can come across as arrogant or condescending, even if he doesn't mean it that way. He is withdrawn and distant and holds everybody save a few exceptions at arms length, and rarely talks about himself. He is distrusting, and always on guard.
As for his power, it does have several important limitations:

- He can retain more information and absorb it faster, but it doesn't grant him understanding; he can't make himself understand something that he wouldn't understand otherwise, and he can't gain a skill simply by observing it in action; repeat viewings, intensive practice and further instruction on the how's and why's are required.
- If he is attempting to understand a complex subject (for example, String Theory), he can know all the facts and figures he wants, but he still won't understand it. Therefore, he needs to have also read on the subjects around the subject he's attempting to gain knowledge about that are prerequisites for understanding. If you study physics at university, they don't just throw you into quantum physics on the first week; you build up to that point, gaining knowledge in other important areas first that will help understand the intricacies of the more complex subjects. So he has to still follow the natural progression.
- The more complicated the information, the more time and energy required to understand it, with some information simply being beyond him.
- He doesn't have superhuman endurance, so he'll feel the same way after processing the data as he would have had he done it at "normal pace."
- His body isn't superhuman. He can process information faster, but he's not going to be able to think faster than a bullet. Therefore, he will need to rely on his intelligence to get him through sticky situations and remember that physically speaking, he doesn't have superpowers in the conventional sense.
- His senses are similarly still human; he doesn't have access to information that are beyond a humans ability to perceive.
- As touched on above, knowledge =/= understanding. He can watch, for example, a swimmer doing a length and duplicate the movements, but if circumstances change while he's duplicating it (EG, a change in water current), since he lacks the understanding of why he's doing it a certain way and without experience telling him how to cope with changes in circumstances, he'll find himself stuck as to what to do. Therefore, instruction from somebody who does understand and practice is still required. Taking another example: He could watch a video on another martial art and replicate the movements perfectly. However, without understanding what these moves are supposed to do, without understanding the theory behind it and without being able to see the things that a normal human can't see (EG, change in weight distribution) he wouldn't be able to do it properly, or adapt if the opponent he was using it on did something different to what was shown on the video and therefore end up with a disadvantage. Similarly, if the person he is viewing makes a mistake, Dante will duplicate the mistake without knowing it's a mistake until somebody corrects him. Long story short? He needs understanding as well as knowledge, and understanding cannot be obtained through simple observation. He can learn skills in a fraction of the time of a normal human, but he still needs to be taught the theory by somebody who already understands.

Basic History (There is more, but for plot reasons this is all you're getting ATM) :
Dante was raised, along with his sister Grace, in England in their parents large country estate. Before they were born, their parents had managed to make a name for themselves in two vastly different industries, and as such were very rich but always busy. They had babysitters and nannies, but growing up, the two siblings only had each other. This bond strengthened when they entered school and, when people found out that they were rich, they did what every kid does; they cosied up to them in an attempt to leech, and when that failed, victimised them for their perceived arrogant selfishness. As the years dragged on, Dante became colder and more aloof in an attempt to deal with the bullies, and devised his own coldly logical way of dealing with people. Everything he and his sister did was planned to make them less tempting targets, from training in martial arts to focusing on cultivating their intelligence, though Grace did manage to twist his arm into a variety of less stimulating and practical hobbies. There were the stickers, the trading cards (though he'll admit, some of the card games did require a lot of strategic thinking, so it wasn't a complete waste of time), little figurines (everything from wrestling figures to Barbies, she literally went through them all...and she made him join in. The Tea Party of '02 is forever etched into his memory)...you name it, she had a passing fascination with it. She never stuck with any of them for very long (they were probably the biggest contributors of old toys to childrens charities in the area, to be honest), but that's what kids do, and Dante was inclined to indulge her flighty nature...at least she had fun. She did stick with the guitar, though, which surprised him, though he did end up learning the violin himself (Grace pressured him into an instrument, since she thought he needed a "relaxing" hobby, and he does find it rather therapeutic (though he would never admit it; can you imagine how insufferable she would become?))...and then there were the plushies...
So...
Many...
Plushies....
shudder
Anyway. Two years ago, when they were 17, they moved from England to America and entered a new school in time for the new year. Due to differences in the way schooling worked, they had to be entered into first year rather than second year studies, and so were in the same class as people a year younger than them. For more details, you'll just have to wait and see what is revealed in the RP. ;)

Miscellaneous:
- Is a moderately skilled Violinist.
- Enjoys writing.
- Keeps a pair of journals that not even Grace is allowed to read.
- Is part of the MWH Rugby Team.
- Due to his Straight A Status, is often asked to tutor lower-achieving students.
- Dislikes American Football and Football in equal measure.

Theme Song:

« Last Edit: April 26, 2016, 04:44:39 PM by Vergil Tanner »

Re: We Could Be Heroes; A Super Sexy Superhero RP, REBOOT!
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2016, 07:00:27 AM »
Player Name: Vergil Tanner

-Name: Grace
-Nationality: English, like her brother, and also speaks in an upper-middle-class accent. However, she lacks the line of steel that laces her brothers sometimes menacing voice, and is instead somewhat more warm and flirtatious in her language.

-Appearance:
She is only slightly taller than her brother at 5 foot 11 and a half, with a slender, hourglass figure. She is curvaceous, her figure attracting more than a few wandering eyes, and her long blonde hair falls down about her shoulders and upper back. Her brilliant green eyes stare out of a smooth, delicate face, and like her brother, she too has a slightly innocent look about her...but don't be fooled. She knows exactly what she's doing, she knows how desirable to many men she is, and is not afraid to use it.

-Faceclaim: Gemma Atkinson

-Relationship status: Single, but by design; if you're in a relationship, you can't enjoy all the casual sex that high-school lets you have.

-Personality:
Grace is more caring and warm than her brother, and is more ready with her affections. Whilst she too retreated inside her shell when the bullying started, she managed to come out far sooner, due in large part to her big brother...and she knows that. She knows all too well just what Dante sacrificed for her on more than one occasion, and just how much Dante hurts on the inside. As such, she is devoted to Dante above all others, and will do almost anything that he asks of her. As far as she's concerned, she will never be able to repay Dante enough for what he did for her, and will help him in whatever way he so desires. Besides her devotion to Dante, she is an extremely loyal friend and will never knowingly betray a good friend unless for an extremely good reason (her brother taught her that you should always build caveats into your promises, and should be prepared for anything). She is warm, bubbly and acts light-hearted, though she has some deep-seated complexes and issues that sometimes cause her to get a tad over emotional or sensitive. She isn't as good at detaching herself as Dante, though that's because he stopped her from doing it, and she loves Dante for that. She enjoys sex - very much - and knows just how desirable she is when it comes to males and sometimes even other females. She therefore plays the airheaded bimbo Cheer Captain to let people see what they think they should see, in order to get away with things and exert a more subtle control than her brother. She is far from stupid, and only a small handful of people have any inkling as to how intelligent she actually is. She is warm, bubbly, loyal and perpetually cheerful, though she does have her occasional melancholy moments that only Dante and one or two close friends ever really see.

-Powers:
She exudes a kind of aura that makes people far more likely to listen to her and do as she suggests, which allows her to get her own way more often than not. It works in three levels:

1) Passive Aura: This is the "always-on" effect that means that if you are within a certain distance (so, say, within talking distance), you are more likely to listen to her if she says something. It isn't anything as strong as forcing you to pay attention to her, of course; it's more along the lines of making her stand out a little to people so if they were looking around they would be more likely to pause on her, and it would make them slightly more suggestible; whereas they might previously have just ignored her, they might hesitate before doing so. Nothing huge, but they would be slightly more likely to pay attention to her over others, be nice to her, etc etc.

2) Activated Aura: This one is a little more potent; if she consciously activates her ability (which is kind of like flexing a muscle; she has to concentrate on it rather than it just happening), people are far more likely to listen to her or do as she asks. They'll have a sudden urge to please her and to pay attention to her, and they would become highly suggestible to her influence. However, that's all it is; suggestions. She can't force them to do anything they don't want to, but she is more likely to be able to persuade people to her way of thinking.

3) Compulsion: This is activated by touch and conscious activation. If she touches somebody, depending on how strong their will is, she can implant compulsions through her voice to get what she wants. She can't mind control them and can't make them do something drastic like murder or suicide, but...think of it like an addiction. If you're coming off of an addictive substance, no matter what you know about relapsing being a bad idea, you still have an often times uncontrollable urge to do it anyway. Think of it like this; regardless of whether you want to or not, you still feel the desire to do it. It can be resisted and the strength of the compulsion depends on the person (EG, somebody who already hates somebody is far more likely to give in to the compulsion to attack them than somebody who really likes that person and is the godfather to their kids; that sort of thing) and the situation.

- Flaw:
Her power is stronger or weaker depending on the sexual orientation of the target; if they would normally be attracted to women, the effect is stronger (since the chemicals produced by this ability find a target that is more receptive to their influence) than if they aren't attracted to women. It still works on homosexual males, heterosexual females and asexual individuals, but the ability is given a boost if used on homo or bi sexual females or hetero or bisexual males. It's also like a muscle in that if she exerts it for too long, it can leave her feeling mentally drained...of course, the more she uses it, the more she can use it without getting tired. As mentioned in her personality entry, she has a whoooooole boatload of abandonment and paranoid issues, which is probably why she enjoys casual sex so much. However, the problem with being seen as the school slut is that sometimes the fear creeps in that they only like her for what's between her legs, and thanks in particular to that episode with her Sweet Sixteen, she is in her own way just as withdrawn and cynical as her brother. Her melancholy and depressed moments are surprisingly common, and usually stem from the insecurity of hiding herself and having people like the mask that she wears rather than the real her.

- Brief Bio:
See her brothers bio. The only difference is that, after withdrawing into her shell as a younger child, she started to "flower" in her pre-and-early-teens (coincidentally at about the same time she became good looking), and started to make a lot of friends. Dante never trusted them, of course, but then he was cynical and bitter so she didn't have to be. When Grace turned 15, she got her first boyfriend - a cute troublemaker by the name of Craig who, despite his reputation and being a year older than her (so some people viewed it as a little suspect), was actually very kind and charming towards her - and was actually something approaching happy. She had a devoted (if overprotective and at times pushy) "big" brother (even though he was only older by a few minutes, he took his responsibilities seriously), plenty of good friends and a charming, thoughtful boyfriend. She enjoyed her life in school up until her "Sweet Sixteen," where they hired out a local gym hall to have a party with all of her friends. She was having a good time, socialising with her friends from school and her clubs, chatting with her brother, dancing with her boyfriend...she was even planning to give her first time to him (the legal age of consent in the UK is sixteen) in the next few months, and everything was good....until she caught her boyfriend with his lips glued to her then-best-friend Katie. You can imagine what happened then. Slapping, crying, Craig gets knocked on his ass by the rather emotional Grace...and then her fleeing from the party, followed closely by Dante (who would be having a few rather violent words with Craig over the next few days, I'm sure you can imagine) who managed to calm her down and comfort her.

They returned to school the next week, and Grace was....different. She was more guarded, more distant, and she always stayed close to her brother. Her friends were all weird around her (to be fair, she had just beaten up her now-ex-boyfriend), and whispers were starting to circle. Grace began to come out of her shell a little, and when they moved to the States a year later, she seemed to completely let go and despite her guarded nature, her current crop of friends have really helped her be comfortable around people again. Of course, they don't know that, but the sociable mask she wore at the beginning of her first year is now actually who she is, which she likes....but that doesn't help her inner trust and abandonment issues, which is possibly why she's so protective of Erie....and also why she is so free with her sexuality. Girl has issues, but she keeps them well hidden...only her closest BFF's have even a hint of side of her she hides from them. Besides that, there isn't really anything to say...except that she has never forgotten just how much her brother has done for her, and will remain devoted to him for as long as she lives. He's sacrificed so much in the name of her wellbeing...her undying loyalty is the least she can give him.

Miscellaneous:
- Moderately skilled guitarist and singer.
- Enjoys the "Artsy" and active subjects, like Art, Music, Gym and Drama.
- Is currently the Head Cheerleader of the MWH Cheer Squad.
- Due to her friendly and bubbly nature, she's usually first to volunteer for Open Days, Welcome Tours and general meet and greets.

Theme Music

« Last Edit: April 26, 2016, 04:48:59 PM by Vergil Tanner »

Offline Amarlo

Re: We Could Be Heroes; A Super Sexy Superhero RP, REBOOT INTEREST CHECK!
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2016, 11:13:47 AM »
-turns in tentative interest slip-

Offline Panthean

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2016, 12:06:23 PM »
I looked at this before it was a reboot, but decided against applying since there was already a pretty wide character base and I wasn't sure if I'd be able to keep up with it all coming in brand new. There would have been a lot to catch up on...

I may join this now though, since it's a fresh start. Count me as tentatively interested for now. I don't have the time at the moment to write up a complete character profile (leaving in 15 minutes).

The basic idea I had for my prospective character's power was post-cognition. What this entails is the opposite of precognition. A precog can sense future and upcoming events, but a post-cog can look at or touch some object or be in some place and trigger a "memory" of an event they were never present for. This is something some Jedi are able to do in the Star Wars universe, but is best portrayed, I believe, in iZombie when the zombie characters can see the memories of the people whose brains they eat.

Don't have much ideas for anything else about the character, but with such a power, I'd probably make them a sort of... detective/investigative type, and maybe throwing in an extra type of post-cognition trigger: in essence he or she would have a post-cognitive vision whenever he witnesses someone tell a lie (in which the vision would be one that reveals why it is a lie). I don't know what his or her... alignment would be yet, either... whether or not he or she would actually play the detective or use their power for personal gain.

What do you think of this idea for a power?

Offline MissFire

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2016, 01:42:12 PM »
I'm interested in this and have two concepts up for discussion/approval/help picking one.

Shiori Izayoi is a character I've played before. I'd modify her background, of course. She's Origami and her power is the ability to summon and manipulate freely an infinite amount of blank white sheets of 8x8 copy paper. She's extremely smart and extremely creative with her powers and in her hands it is surprisingly deadly. The downside is that she takes herself and her powers way too seriously. She's all for this whole 'hero' shtick and a good way to get on her bad side is to make fun of her slightly silly ability. She's extremely tightly wound, but a loyal friend and companion.

Luciennce "Lux" Lobo is the second one. She's La Muerte. I haven't played her yet, so the bio is just the concept I came up with when she popped into my head. She might be a little over-powered for this game so I'll likely ditch the 'on touch' ability, but her basic gist is that she can basically become a walking corpse and has control over her bones. Even though she doesn't feel pain when undead, the use of her power still puts her body through a lot of trauma and when she becomes normal again it can leave her weak or sickly. Overuse of her power could have severe consequences. Personality-wise, she's brash and straightforward. Rather stubborn. Like she's always looking to prove something to herself or those around her.

As a final thought, Francoise, whom I've played several times, would make a hilarious superhero. Reading her profile should give a good enough glimpse of her personality. I'd need to alter her backstory some. Power-wise, perhaps manipulation of neon? The ability to throw forks with unerring accuracy? The ability to stop time for exactly three seconds?

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2016, 04:40:33 PM »
Haha, hey Amarlo! Thought I'd be seeing you in this Reboot ;) :-)

I looked at this before it was a reboot, but decided against applying since there was already a pretty wide character base and I wasn't sure if I'd be able to keep up with it all coming in brand new. There would have been a lot to catch up on...

Eh, not really....part of the reason for this Reboot was that we had 15 pages of posts and hadn't gotten past the Second Day yet >.>
But yes, one of the main reasons for Rebooting was to refresh the page and get new people interested. Looks like it worked! :D Plus, this way I don't have to bother with all that "democracy" nonsense, since I'm no longer an "elected GM." (Joking. Or....am I? >.> ) :P

The basic idea I had for my prospective character's power was post-cognition. What this entails is the opposite of precognition. A precog can sense future and upcoming events, but a post-cog can look at or touch some object or be in some place and trigger a "memory" of an event they were never present for. This is something some Jedi are able to do in the Star Wars universe, but is best portrayed, I believe, in iZombie when the zombie characters can see the memories of the people whose brains they eat.

Don't have much ideas for anything else about the character, but with such a power, I'd probably make them a sort of... detective/investigative type, and maybe throwing in an extra type of post-cognition trigger: in essence he or she would have a post-cognitive vision whenever he witnesses someone tell a lie (in which the vision would be one that reveals why it is a lie). I don't know what his or her... alignment would be yet, either... whether or not he or she would actually play the detective or use their power for personal gain.

Ok, whilst I have no issue with Post-Cognition, you would need to be extremely careful with it, and you would have to submit to pretty heavy GM regulation, much the same way as if you had Precognition. Like, if your character flashed back to a vision of why somebody was telling a lie whenever they told a lie....well, that would get ridiculously frustrating for everybody else if they can't talk to this person with that person instantly knowing everything about them. For one, there would very likely be NO secrets from this person, and that could rub people up the wrong way. So...you'd need to come up with some ways to balance that drastically. EG, the visions aren't complete visions whose meaning is clear...it would be maybe snatches of images and sounds and seemingly unconnected scents, for example, that would be massively open to interpretation and would need further information to analyse correctly. Also, obviously, you'd need the approval of any player before using that power on their character, since...well, I'm sure most characters will have secrets that they don't want being found out within, like five minutes of knowing this character, y'know? If you're ok with GM regulation and certain limitations being put on it, then I am more than happy to accept it as a power...but, as with any psychic power linked to information in a character and story driven game, it has to be placed under certain OOC restrictions. Is this ok with you? :-)

Miss Fire:

Hey there, and thanks for the interest! After reviewing all three characters, I have to say that out of them, Lobo is perhaps my least favourite. The whole power overall seems a touch too strong for this kind of game, even if it is an interesting powerset, so that one would be the least likely to get approval. The other two, however, seem extremely interesting in their own ways. I don't have any particular preference either way for them, however I have always liked the creative nature of living drawings or sculptures...just be aware that I am very keen on specific limitations and Hard Limits, so if you go with any power like that, I will need you to specify what her Max Feats are, y'know? But either way, Francoise and Shiori are both interesting in their own ways, and I don't have a leaning either way, even though I personally like Francoise's personality a little better on a personal level since on a GM level, both offer very unique things in terms of gameplay. :-)

Offline MissFire

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2016, 04:57:34 PM »
Neither of them can make living drawings or sculptures. If you mean Shiori, she can't make living things out of paper and anything she does make is still paper. It's paper. Paper stacked thick enough can stop bullets and weight a lot, yes, but you can still tear it, cut it, light it on fire, etc. As for Fran, she would be more akin to Fetch in inFamous; like here. Firing laser-like blasts, turning her body to neon, making cute doodles in the air, and being able to heal by absorbing neon from those little neon signs.

If you think Franny would be more interesting, then I'll whip something up for her. I like playing her.

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2016, 05:06:33 PM »
That's what I meant, haha...like, bringing things to life. I was just saying that kind of power can be very interesting. :-)

Haha, well, whichever you decide, make sure to powerscale her accordingly...try to pick one or two major abilities and expand on those, rather than picking out six or seven different abilities. Specialisation over generalisation and all that :-)

Offline MissFire

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2016, 06:02:36 PM »

NAME: Francoise Appledehli

SEX: Female

APPEARANCE: Small and slender figure. Real hair color is black, real eye color is green. She has a full back tattoo and pierced ears. Usually dresses in her favorite leather jacket and a pair of ragged jeans that look like they're being held together by safety pins and sheer force of will. She calls them her 'concert jeans' and has sewn something new into them for every concert she's ever gone to. 

ORIENTATION: Pansexual
RELATIONSHIP STATUS: Single

TYPE: Oddball

POWER THEME: Neon manipulation. Francoise can create, shape and manipulate neon, a colorless, odorless, inert monatomic gas under standard conditions, but when under low pressure glows a bright orange-red if an electric current is passed through it. Neon is used in signs, vacuum tubes, high-voltage indicators, lightning arrestors, wave meter tubes, television tubes, and helium-neon lasers. Liquefied neon is commercially used as a cryogenic refrigerant in applications not requiring the lower temperature range attainable with more extreme liquid helium refrigeration.  Francoise's manifestation of neon comes in a variety of colors (though she tends to fancy purple and hot pink), as the combination of whatever altered Fran and gave her these powers alongside the human body's natural bioelectromagnetism causes the neon to visualize (and impact) as if it's being electrified. With her powers on, Fran can wield neon like an artist with a pen. She can freely 'doodle' in the air with it and despite neon being a gas, Fran's manifestation of it will not dissipate for upwards of two hours depending on outside weather conditions. In this shape it's harmless unless inhaled, but if you inhale it it's your own fault because that's just silly.

Francoise has two more practical applications of her talent, however. The first is that she can turn her body completely into neon. In this form she is little but a Fran-shaped outline of neon, capable of moving at upwards of fifty miles per hour. Since neon is lighter than air, she can achieve limited flight like this but at a certain height she'll start to break apart and sink back down to earth. More often than not, she simply uses this to run up, over, and around buildings.

Secondly, she can manifest compacted beams of neon, almost like blasts of hard light. These bolts travel quickly through the air over a limited distance and deal pressure and electrical damage to targets, leaving bruises or electrical burns. It's akin to being hit by a sudden and compact expulsion of electrified gas. Since they do little impact damage, they are rather safe to use in civilian settings without having to worry about much property damage. Given Fran's personality, this is a major bonus.

CHARACTER FLAW: Fran's power set is flexible and useful, especially in the hands of someone so manic and unpredictable. However, it comes with a limited battery life, so to speak. She has a limited amount of stored energy she can use before she has to 'recharge' by absorbing some source of neon. Depending on her surroundings, she might have to use her powers extremely frugally. Running out of juice will leave her just as vulnerable as any other human facing whatever be-tentacled horror is currently assailing our poor dimension.

Her presence itself is like shouting. She acts like she's been mainlining Red Bull and crystal meth. She is possessed of an over-abundance of energy, speaks quickly, and is always, always, always doing something. Anything. She's filled with confidence and determination, regardless of whether she's competent or not at whatever she's doing. This eagerness and self-confidence can cause her to take undue risks and make her throw herself headlong into danger without thinking of the consequences.

BIOGRAPHY:  Frankie wasn't raised, per se. Her mother passed away when she was two years old and her father, both struggling with the loss and struggling to make ends meet, was hardly there for his daughter. She more or less raised herself. Most children might grow up bitter and resentful at the lack of parental oversight, but Frank seemed to take it in stride, for some reason. She learned how to survive on her own and when her odd personality precluded her from making many friends, she sought refuge in music. In music she could get lost in her own imagination, letting the beat fill the empty parts of her heart and soul. With such a spastic and high-energy personality, people often expect her to be somewhat of a ditz but she's smarter than she lets on. Not in a 'book smart' kind of way, really. She posesses the mindset of someone who's had to do things on their own and make a lot of mistakes. It's her upbringing that allows her to sometimes surprise people with advice that usually comes from older, less spastic, more learned figures. These days, she doesn't have much of a home life. Her father is either usually passed out on the couch or working one of his jobs, so unless she's there to crash in her trainwreck of a room, she's usually somewhere else.

At school, Francoise falls into a lot of cliches. She's the poor kid that bums food from people. She's the slacker that always forgets homework. She's the music geek always talking about a concert or arguing about physical versus digital media. She's the odd duck that some people cross to the other side of the hall to avoid. She's that chick that was "like, totally super nice to me this one time". She's that girl you see hanging with the jocks, gaming with the nerds, smoking with the punks, or talking music with the goths. The chameleon that seems to fit in everywhere at once and yet nowhere at all. Francoise is a lot of things to a lot of people. Some people hate her and some people love her, but everyone thinks she's weird. She takes it all in stride and has a few close friends that mean the world to her.

Miscellaneous: Francoise plays the drums and is looking to start a band.

THEME SONG: Caravan Palace - Lone Digger

Offline MissFire

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2016, 06:03:13 PM »
There's a concept bio! I think. I think I did that right.

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2016, 06:44:35 PM »
Right-ho, let's get analysing! :D

Francoise has two more practical applications of her talent, however. The first is that she can turn her body completely into neon. In this form she is little but a Fran-shaped outline of neon, capable of moving at upwards of fifty miles per hour. Since neon is lighter than air, she can achieve limited flight like this but at a certain height she'll start to break apart and sink back down to earth. More often than not, she simply uses this to run up, over, and around buildings.

Ok, so first off...does she have a maximum amount of Neon she can absorb? Is there a max on how much she can hold in her body at any one time? Given that this is a Day One game, I would expect her to not be able to handle much at the beginning, and grow in strength as she practices and uses it more and more. Second, how long can she maintain this form / speed? How quickly does it drain her "batteries," and how much personal energy - like, stamina - does it absorb, since she is technically still running. Further, can she be harmed, touched or affected in any way whilst in this form, and if not, does that mean that she has to exit this form in order to actually impact the corporeal world in any way?

Secondly, she can manifest compacted beams of neon, almost like blasts of hard light. These bolts travel quickly through the air over a limited distance and deal pressure and electrical damage to targets, leaving bruises or electrical burns. It's akin to being hit by a sudden and compact expulsion of electrified gas. Since they do little impact damage, they are rather safe to use in civilian settings without having to worry about much property damage. Given Fran's personality, this is a major bonus.

So, if they were compared to electrical jolts, what sort of ampage are we talking? Would they at some point be powerful enough to kill somebody? And what is their maximum range? What kind of speed do they travel at? Bullet speed (average handgun; I know different bullets move at different speeds)? Slower? Faster? How much "Charge" does each bolt use up, in proportion to its strength? I imagine that larger, stronger bolts take up more energy, so what kind of drainage are we looking at here?

However, it comes with a limited battery life, so to speak. She has a limited amount of stored energy she can use before she has to 'recharge' by absorbing some source of neon.

As mentioned above, does she have a "cap," like a battery? A maximum charge she can hold? And does she suffer any ill effects either of holding a full charge for too long, or going on empty charge for too long? Basically, does she feel ill, tired or anything like that if she has a full battery over a length of time, or does she go into "withdrawal" if she has too low a charge for too long?

At school, Francoise falls into a lot of cliches. She's the poor kid that bums food from people. She's the slacker that always forgets homework. She's the music geek always talking about a concert or arguing about physical versus digital media. She's the odd duck that some people cross to the other side of the hall to avoid. She's that chick that was "like, totally super nice to me this one time". She's that girl you see hanging with the jocks, gaming with the nerds, smoking with the punks, or talking music with the goths. The chameleon that seems to fit in everywhere at once and yet nowhere at all. Francoise is a lot of things to a lot of people. Some people hate her and some people love her, but everyone thinks she's weird. She takes it all in stride and has a few close friends that mean the world to her.

I would take out that part about being a "Slacker;" if she slacked in any way - like, consistently missed assignments, did the bear minimum, etc etc - she would never have gotten into MWH anyway. I'm willing to accept that a poorer individual got into the school because it IS a public school, but it still has high standards...also, how do you explain her presence in the neighbourhood when the area is relatively posh? Upper Middle Class, I would say. And how have they kept the house? Does her dad have a job, or do they survive on Child Support? Basically, would you mind expanding on how she lives in this area and how she got into MWH, please? :-) Also, if you had to pick ONE group that she hangs out with more, what would it be? I mean, she might chat to the jocks on the way past, but given her bio and her interests....do you really think she'd have that much in common with them, stereotypically speaking? :-)

And these are just questions; I like Fran as a whole package, I just want to nail down some fine points and sand off some rough edges. :-)
« Last Edit: April 26, 2016, 07:03:47 PM by Vergil Tanner »

Offline Panthean

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2016, 07:11:25 PM »
Ok, whilst I have no issue with Post-Cognition, you would need to be extremely careful with it, and you would have to submit to pretty heavy GM regulation, much the same way as if you had Precognition. Like, if your character flashed back to a vision of why somebody was telling a lie whenever they told a lie....well, that would get ridiculously frustrating for everybody else if they can't talk to this person with that person instantly knowing everything about them. For one, there would very likely be NO secrets from this person, and that could rub people up the wrong way. So...you'd need to come up with some ways to balance that drastically. EG, the visions aren't complete visions whose meaning is clear...it would be maybe snatches of images and sounds and seemingly unconnected scents, for example, that would be massively open to interpretation and would need further information to analyse correctly. Also, obviously, you'd need the approval of any player before using that power on their character, since...well, I'm sure most characters will have secrets that they don't want being found out within, like five minutes of knowing this character, y'know? If you're ok with GM regulation and certain limitations being put on it, then I am more than happy to accept it as a power...but, as with any psychic power linked to information in a character and story driven game, it has to be placed under certain OOC restrictions. Is this ok with you? :-)

That's perfectly reasonable. I didn't think that they'd be able to have any degree of control over this ability. I imagine that, much like iZombie, the visions would come seemingly at random, with no real method to trigger them or control over what he or she would see.

However... if an ability like this has the potential to cause some issues with the play, I'd rather try to come up with an easier ability to play, one that requires much less control and regulation (a thing which I'm sure could become a hassle for you as the GM). It would also require a great deal of coordination which, upon further reflection, I realize may become more tedious than fun...

I'll post back here if I think of something that'd be good to bring to the table.

Offline MissFire

« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2016, 07:19:01 PM »
Good questions! I didn't think about most of that stuff.

I don't know about defining any kind of upper-limit to how much power she can contain though. It would be a tricky thing to keep track of, you know? But we can kind of do a rough estimate or something. At the start of the game she could have enough 'charge' to handle some quick skirmishes, but anything extended and she'd run dry fast. Her neon form would drain her reserves very quickly at first, but the 'blasts' would be much easier to get off and if she were to just write with neon it would be next to nothing. That's pretty much harmless anyway. Moving in neon form would also drain her physically, too, especially at the start. But she's a pretty energetic and peppy girl so, like above, it might not matter too much in quick fights. She's no athlete though, so she would get tuckered fast if she had to do a lot of dodging and running for long periods. In neon form she can't be harmed, but likewise can't impact anything physically nor pass through solid matter. She also has to solidify to fire off her neon beams.

As far as the beams go, at the start they'd be strong enough to stun a normal human similar to a TASER shot. Average human, of course. Bigger people would require another shot. But also consider that we won't be fighting normal people most of the time! At least I hope not. How damaging it is really depends on the creature the crew runs up against. They could be effective or do almost nothing. They'd probably fire at about bullet speed and not drain her stamina much, as stated above.

I don't know about any 'withdrawls' from not having a charge for too long. Then she'd be, like, jonsing for some neon all the time and that might not be fun to play for me. But maybe over-draining could cause her some harm. I don't really see a lot of situations where she'd reach that kind of limit, but it might be fun to play if a situation pops up like that. Like, say she needs an extra-strong blast and just absorbs everything to unleash hell - but after letting loose she gets totally fried! Like above, it's hard to define what her limits would be without getting TOO specific about it, y'know? But I like the idea of playing the 'overcharge' situation if the opportunity comes up.

As far as cliques goes, she'd probably hang out more with the punk crowd than anyone else, but I was just trying to get across that she kinda-sorta gets along with most of 'em. She's extremely friendly and good-natured and that kind of crosses social boundaries a bit - though there are people who are just plain wierded out by her personality and won't go near her at all. Let's say her grades are about average, then. She's good at Art, English, and World History and her weaker subjects would probably be Math, Science, and anything else involving those scary numbers. Her dad has two jobs and some government assistance, so they make ends meet that way. They're not extremely poor, but probably lower middle class. Fran bums a lot of stuff or does whatever odd jobs she can to earn foldin' money. The family moved into the neighborhood when Fran's mom was still alive - Fran's mother inherited the house from her father.

Hopefully that sounds alright. I think this 'poor(ish) kid going to the rich(ish) kid school' angle is fun and could lead to some interesting character interactions.

« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2016, 07:31:30 PM »
Panthean:
Well, I don't have an issue with Pre or postcognition as a whole, so long as it's done sensibly and reasonably. But if you want a more hassle-free power, I understand...maybe try going to Superpowerlist.com and hitting the "Random" button until you find something you like? :P

I don't know about defining any kind of upper-limit to how much power she can contain though. It would be a tricky thing to keep track of, you know?

Oh yeah, I know...I'm more looking for rough estimates anyway, like "Her charge can give her five stun-bolts, powerful enough to knock somebody unconscious," and then estimate from there. Obviously I would trust you to be sensible, but it helps to have some at least rough limits, right?

Her neon form would drain her reserves very quickly at first, but the 'blasts' would be much easier to get off and if she were to just write with neon it would be next to nothing. That's pretty much harmless anyway.

That's pretty much what I would expect, yeah :-)

Moving in neon form would also drain her physically, too, especially at the start. But she's a pretty energetic and peppy girl so, like above, it might not matter too much in quick fights. She's no athlete though, so she would get tuckered fast if she had to do a lot of dodging and running for long periods. In neon form she can't be harmed, but likewise can't impact anything physically nor pass through solid matter. She also has to solidify to fire off her neon beams.

Ok, so we could reasonably say that at the start of the game, her charge lets her fire - for example - ten "Dizzying" or "Staggering" bolts, and lets her run at a constant Neon Form Speed for, say five minutes, and it grows from there as she practices. Something like that, anyway, and we work it out as it becomes relevant. I trust you to be sensible, of course, but this is more so that we have a general idea of her limits. This also helps me work out future plots. Of course, if you could think about this, it would help....I would like some Hard Limits that she'd NEVER surpass - like, a "Peak" for her abilities - so maybe...I dunno, coming up with some arbitrary measurements to help keep track. EG....NC's. That is, "Neon Charges." So at the start, her max Battery is 20NC. A medium blast costs 2NC, a weak one 1NC and a strong one 3NC. Neon Form costs 5NC / Minute. Something like that. I know I'm getting anal here, but it's a suggestion for how we could do it. :-)

As far as the beams go, at the start they'd be strong enough to stun a normal human similar to a TASER shot. Average human, of course. Bigger people would require another shot. But also consider that we won't be fighting normal people most of the time! At least I hope not. How damaging it is really depends on the creature the crew runs up against. They could be effective or do almost nothing. They'd probably fire at about bullet speed and not drain her stamina much, as stated above.

I imagine so, yeah...would larger shots - like, for example, if she were to use all of her charge in one blast - affect her stamina, since it was a massive transfer of energy that she isn't used to?

I don't know about any 'withdrawls' from not having a charge for too long. Then she'd be, like, jonsing for some neon all the time and that might not be fun to play for me. But maybe over-draining could cause her some harm. I don't really see a lot of situations where she'd reach that kind of limit, but it might be fun to play if a situation pops up like that. Like, say she needs an extra-strong blast and just absorbs everything to unleash hell - but after letting loose she gets totally fried! Like above, it's hard to define what her limits would be without getting TOO specific about it, y'know? But I like the idea of playing the 'overcharge' situation if the opportunity comes up.

That's why I asked the question! I don't mind her not having any negative impact from being "Drained," it was just a question to see what you're thinking about...but yeah, like a Battery, it might be fun to see some negative effects of her being overcharged, like extra hyperactivity and random discharges of Neon Bolts until she vents the excess. XD

As far as cliques goes, she'd probably hang out more with the punk crowd than anyone else, but I was just trying to get across that she kinda-sorta gets along with most of 'em. She's extremely friendly and good-natured and that kind of crosses social boundaries a bit - though there are people who are just plain wierded out by her personality and won't go near her at all. Let's say her grades are about average, then. She's good at Art, English, and World History and her weaker subjects would probably be Math, Science, and anything else involving those scary numbers. Her dad has two jobs and some government assistance, so they make ends meet that way. They're not extremely poor, but probably lower middle class. Fran bums a lot of stuff or does whatever odd jobs she can to earn foldin' money. The family moved into the neighborhood when Fran's mom was still alive - Fran's mother inherited the house from her father.

Hopefully that sounds alright. I think this 'poor(ish) kid going to the rich(ish) kid school' angle is fun and could lead to some interesting character interactions.

That all sounds fine in regards to Handwaving and justification to me! All we need to do is finish up the chat about her powers and I need a Writing Prompt from you, and then we should be good to go with Fran! :D

« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2016, 07:54:10 PM »
I look forward to seeing what you come up with! :D

Offline Flower

• Rumplestiltskin ❀❀Bunny Goddess❀❀ ♥♥Search Mistress♥♥ ❀❀Introvert ❀❀
  • Dame
  • Addict
  • The blood of the stars flowed in her veins.
  • My Role Play Preferences
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 1
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2016, 11:48:17 PM »
-marks-

« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2016, 12:52:17 PM »
I hope that meek little mark means you're interested! :D

Offline MissFire

« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2016, 01:30:46 PM »
Mmm, think of it like a battery meter, I guess. Maybe being in her neon form takes up 10% of the charge per minute, where each normal blast takes up 1%. After all, she's kind of spastic and not a perfect shot. Not everything is going to be a hit. Most of 'em will probably be misses. She's gonna machine gun that stuff. Probably while going 'pew pew pew!' the entire time. More focused or concentrated blasts would take like 5% or 10% each, with that overcharge shot draining her fully. A normal-sized neon sign (like one of those little 'OPEN' signs you see in windows) would charge her up about 25%. More neon, more charge, obviously.

I don't wanna make her powers drain TOO fast, otherwise she's never going to have a chance to recharge. How often are we going to be fighting in the city, after all? I imagine the group will be in different locations and surroundings. If she runs out of juice too fast my play options will quickly narrow to 'Franny stands around and makes a cutting remark at the monster'. So I'm just trying to keep it balanced so it's fair and still fun to play.

Writing sample below. I sort of/kind of did the second idea.

Writing Sample
Francoise frowned. It wasn't just any frown. It was a Francoise Frown (tm), an over-ample display of emotion that turned her eyebrows downward and her lips into an inverted 'v'. She was seriously frowning.

"Your face is going to stick that way, Frank," said Vegan Steve.

Vegan Steve was standing next to her. A tall, skinny albino in an outfit of black and punk not too dissimilar from her own. Vegan Steve had earned his nickname because Francoise was sociable with three different people named Steve. Big Steve was a jock she hung out with in PE. Nice guy. Regular Steve was in her homeroom and sat in front of her. Francoise chatted up Regular Steve all the time, but he hardly ever said anything back and more often than not seemed slightly annoyed with her chatter. He also loathed being called 'Regular Steve'. He probably was not Franny's friend, but she was sure he'd come around eventually. That or he'd snap and launch himself over the desk and wrap his hands around her neck. She was interested to see which outcome it would be. Vegan Steve was a great guy, though. The best Steve. She'd considered calling him 'Best Steve' but did not want to cause jealousy amongst her gaggle of Stevens. Vegan Steve had been with her the longest and was about as good a friend as someone could have. Always willing to go along with her antics so long as she went along with his from time-to-time. He was down to earth and possessed a mellow attitude that nicely balanced out her own manic energy.

It was Vegan Steve's idea to go to GameCon. A big gaming show where developers were showing off all sorts of hot new titles. Vegan Steve was big into gaming. Fran, not so much. She was a good friend, though, and had to go along. What got her frowning was the presence of what she now knew were called 'booth babes'. Scantily clad women wearing revealing costumes, hawking whatever game they were working for. It was just too much.

"C'mon, cheer up! You love pretty girls, right?" said Vegan Steve, elbowing her. Their tour of GameCon had hit a roadblock when Francoise noticed all the babes.

"Yeah, but," said Frankie, "When, like, there's a hottie around that I have to actively deal with?" She gestured, as if the random movements of her hands would make this all clear, "Like she's being aggressively hot at me, y'know?"

"Oh, come on, it can't be that bad. I've seen you talk to women before. And men."

"But these are supermodels in costumes! Costuuuuuuuuumes!" said Francoise, dragging out the word. The combination of gorgeous women and cosplay. It was like her kryptonite.

"Hi, I'm Michelle!"

A sudden voice from the right. Vegan Steve Glanced over. Francoise looked and visibly jumped, her eyes widening.

"OH GOD," she said, playing it cool. Michelle was one of the booth babes. An extremely buxom blonde with clear blue eyes and a black witch costume that had a neckline so plunging it almost exposed her belly button. Apparently used to this sort of reaction, the booth babe spun right into a sales pitch about the game she was holding. Something about witches. Francoise didn't dare look down to see the title. Vegan Steve seemed attentive, while inwardly, Francoise panicked.

'Oh my god, she's so hot! I wonder if she'd sleep with me? Dammit, that's perverted! You just met this woman! I hate myself! Oh shit, she stopped talking! She's looking at you! She wants you to respond! Say something! Say something smart! Something charming!'

"TRAINS," yelped Francoise. She looked around nervously.

Vegan Steve patted her on the shoulder. Michelle looked a little put off, but continued her speech, apparently determined to get through it so she could flee. Bravo, Michelle. Frankie nodded at the booth babe and pretended to listen while her mind reeled and went over the play-by-play.

'Yeah, she went for it! She thinks you're smart as fuck! Wait! You're maintaining eye-contact too long, look somewhere else! NO! NOW YOU'RE LOOKING AT HER BOOBS! STOP IT! LOOK SOMEWHERE ELSE!'

"Why are you looking at my shoulder?"

"Because I..." Francoise paused, visibly scrambling for something, anything to say. This was going bad. Almost as bad as when she first met Grace. She squinted and drew out the first word as if unsure, "...doooon't want to make out with you?"

"...What?" Michelle gaped. Vegan Steve just looked on. He was used to Francoise around beautiful women. This was a fairly standard reaction. Frankie was attracted to anyone regardless of gender, but had a soft spot for women. Especially really, really attractive women. They could shut her down completely. This is what was happening now. In Fran's head she found herself losing the battle.

'Fuck it, bail! We lost her! Abort mission!'

And thus did the blue-haired girl turn on her heel and run away. She sprinted off in some random direction, uncaring of where she was headed so long as Michelle wasn't there to torment her with her curves.

'Say something! Tell her she's hot again just incase you still have a chance!'

"I LOVE YOU!" shouted Francoise as she ran. She fist pumped.

'Fucking nailed it. Good work!'

Vegan Steve shrugged at Michelle and went to find his friend. This was going to be a long convention.

« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2016, 01:58:08 PM »
The problem with that kind of percentage is that you would expect the shots to cost the same "charge" regardless of whether she was experienced or not, and her experience and practice simply dictates how much charge she can have. I mean, 100 shots of rapid fire Neon that are capable of stunning people seems a little excessive, right? And what would be the point of her getting the ability to hold more charge as she developed if her shots ALWAYS took up a set % of her shots? I think maybe altering that so that the fraction decreases as her Max Charge goes up. Like at the beginning - remember, Day One, she doesn't have her powers at the start of the game - these shots take 10% of her charge and her Neon Form takes up something like 33% per minute, but as she increases her maximum charge, that would eventually decrease to a minimum of 2% and 10% respectively.

I mean, there's no need to really quantify it with Hard Limits, I just want to make clear that if your character doesn't have to recharge for a hundred shots...that defeats the point of having recharging as a limiter, since very few fights are going to last 100 shots, especially early game. So what I would say is just keep the abilities costing the same amount of Neon Energy, but increasing her max capacity over time so she can use her abilities more. Start off low - like, Day One, just got her powers, no experience with it and no idea how it works - and gradually increase as she uses her powers more and more. :-)

Offline MissFire

« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2016, 02:04:34 PM »
That's about what I was going to do anyway, yep.

« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2016, 02:16:48 PM »
Well then, I have no further questions or considerations! Welcome to We Could Be Heroes, Miss! :D Once I have some more bios besides just yours and mine, I'll throw up an OOC and a Bio Thread and whatnot. In the meantime, I'd like you to start considering possible ways that your character might know my characters for the next stage, where everybody starts collaborating on various relationships and shared histories. They're at school, after all, so most of the cast must have run into each other at some point! I already have a couple of ideas, so feel free to hit me up for pre-planning if you want. But for now...welcome to the game, and now we just wait and see what the rest of E has for us! :D

Offline MissFire

« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2016, 03:43:21 PM »
Well, I already put Grace in my writing sample. It was mostly for a gag, but if you want to make it canon and make the two of them meeting be awkward and fun, we can discuss that.

« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2016, 03:53:10 PM »
I noticed :P I wondered if you had something specific in mind, haha. In any case, I have my own idea on how the two could know each other, but we could almost certainly make their first meeting be suuuuuper awkward. Awkward is just another word for "Literary fun." XD

Offline Mael

« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2016, 03:55:46 PM »
Player Name: Mael

NAME: Juniper ‘June’ Renae Wrigley.

SEX: Female.

APPEARANCE: Standing at a petite stature of 5’ 2.5”, Juniper can be described as lean. Her hair tends to be a curly, voluminous mass – at best – and is one of her main, identifying features. She has long, delicate fingers that are very dexterous and aid her in a lot of her artistic endeavors. She has light, blue-grey eyes, and straight, white teeth. No matter the weather, she can typically be seen wearing long-sleeves – even in the heat of summer. Gym uniform? She wears a long-sleeve shirt beneath the t-shirt required. Air conditioning broken and the classroom is 90 degrees F? Juniper is the one person who refuses to remove her jacket. Her ears are unpierced, and her fingers never have rings on them, but she does always have a necklace around her neck and an occasional bracelet to adorn her wrists. Her clothing style is often described as eclectic, or strange, but typically reflects her artistic nature.

Other Images

FACECLAIM: Ella Marija Lani Yelich-O'Connor [aka Lorde]

ORIENTATION: Straight Demisexual.

RELATIONSHIP STATUS: Single.

TYPE: Artist/Nature Freak.

POWER THEME:
 Inter-species communication, aka. Communication with animals: can communicate fully with animals that are of a lower-level form of intelligence, with some attempts and success of communicating with animals of higher-level intelligence. This is all based on the complexity of the mind of the animal: higher level intelligence would come from a more complex minded creature, and vice versa for the opposite. All of this communication is completed telepathically, with most of her power residing in neural capability and complexity. Yet... there are moments when she can communicate out loud, and be understood, should she choose that method. The animal's response, if given in a typical noise such as a dog's bark, would not be the communication she would understand, however.  For fear of backlash, however, she often finds it easier to simply communicate mind-to-mind with the creature she's targeting.

At a higher level of concentration and experience with her power, the control of species will come about, with the lesser-level of intelligence species being almost incapable of putting up a fight against her mental powers. Higher-level of intelligence species will be more complex, and more difficult for her to even attempt to control cognitively. Any attempts of control would be complete, conscious decisions on Juniper's part. She can choose which animals she tries to control, and if successful, can control them for 'x' amount of time, another decision she would make.

CHARACTER FLAW:
Can hear the thoughts of animals always, no matter the level of intelligence they possess, yet cannot always return that communication. If attempting to communicate with a higher-level creature, there is a loss of energy and a massive use of concentration during each attempt, making the process extremely draining. At the same time, hearing all of these voices on a constant basis tends to make her come across as a bit ‘edgy’ or ‘unstable’ – especially when she can’t seem to differentiate between what she is hearing and how to concentrate on the real, human world. Because of this, she is sometimes caught in daydreams and has difficulty focusing on the simplest tasks.

‘Eccentric’ would be a great adjective to apply to her. With her artistic nature and her style of realism, she is often caught blatantly staring at people. This often rubs people the wrong way, seeing some stranger just watching them. It tends to make people uncomfortable, which either seems to result in anger or embarrassment from the resulting party. Juniper, while familiar with anger, is often unaware of embarrassment when reflected upon herself, or when she embarrasses others. This causes people to sometimes think she can be oblivious, though not necessarily dumb, or even cold-hearted.

Her friendliness also disturbs people, sometimes, simply because it's not necessarily warranted. She will wave and smile at people she's never spoken to before, often catching them off-guard. And while some find it endearing... there are those who react in the same manner as the people who find her staring to be an issue.

A flaw coming with the control aspect of her power, when she discovers she has this ability, is this: how she morally feels about controlling animals. Juniper will be very hesitant to use this branch of her ability, finding that the control could be compared to a kind of 'abuse' the animals could suffer. Any use of this part of her power causes her distress and actually frightens her, unless she can truly justify her reasoning behind the control of another species.

She’s also very, very afraid of fire, and wears long-sleeves to mask the burns she received from the wildfire that destroyed their home in Maine.

Speaking to people in large groups also puts her on edge, which leads her to actually avoid physically protesting and speaking about the environmental issues that may be present or that she may be focusing on with the committee. Too many people watching her, staring at her and waiting to hear what she has to say makes her nervous enough to feel sick to her stomach and to make her knees shake.

BIOGRAPHY:  Juniper was raised by her mother, solely. Her father was out of the picture, and the pair preferred it that way. The couple resided outside of the main cities in the state of Maine, living in a smaller town that rested in the heavily forested area. Her mother wanted to keep their lives as ‘green’ as possible, always being conscious of the environment and conservation practices, pounding them into the routine of Juniper at a very young age. Despite how strange her mother may have appeared, she was a terribly intelligent woman, having a career as an environmental consultant who doubled as a lawyer for environmental and conservation issues. So, from a very young age, June was exposed to the more natural side of the world that children often didn’t experience until they were old enough to comprehend it all. And as she grew, she only seemed to procure a stronger interest in the natural world, and had her mother educate her on parts of the world that were left out in public school teachings. She took to nature the way some children took to sweets… it fulfilled something within her that she hadn’t even known she was missing.

When she was in middle school, Juniper got into her first and only brush with the law. She’d been caught by a security guard, trying to release a mother bear and her bear cubs from an animal sanctuary a mile or so from her house. In her opinion, at the ripe age of fourteen, animals didn’t belong in cages. And the bears, they weren’t happy. She just knew that they weren’t happy. Her mother being the lawyer that she was ended up getting Juniper off with a slap on the wrist punishment, and after a speech and a scolding, the young woman managed to keep herself out of trouble. Though, her opinion never seemed to change about animals and their role in society and how they tended to be used for entertainment purposes. And she lost a month or so of school… and subsequently had to be held back to repeat the grade.

Another influence in Juniper’s life was art. She loved everything about art, and it turns out, she seemed to be some kind of natural when it came to most forms of art. Her favorite subjects for painting, often with acrylics or oils… were natural objects, realism. Her first successful painting that won her an award in the eighth grade was a beautiful portrait of the forest floor behind her home in Maine. Her artistic subjects tended to gain more life the more she worked through her first year of high school, which was a local school she attended that had a strong, art-focus in their department. She was awarded prizes and ribbons for portraits of birds, extremely detailed oil paintings of foxes and deer, and the like. But one, fateful day in early spring near the end of her freshman year, a wildfire spread through the hills of Maine outside of their town, and their home was engulfed in the flames.

All of her paintings were destroyed and all of their home items were lost.

Her mother managed to find a position opened in a sister-law branch in New York shortly after the fire destroyed their possessions, and that was how Juniper ended up in New York. She joined Major Malcolm Wheeler-Nicholson High School in her sophomore year, trying to mesh with students who already had friends and seemed to be less accepting of the ‘new girl’. But her friendly personality – albeit a little strange and rough around the edges – soon kept her from being on the outer ring of the social circles, and her involvement with the Art Club and the Environmental Committee at the school helped her to become more accepted into the new school, and her new life.[/font]

Misnellaneous:
- Does yoga and meditates.
- She is terrified of open flame, but is fine with matches.
- Really terrible at math.
- Often does volunteer work that involves nature: recycling, tree planting, etc.
- Likes children.
- Her orientation causes her to love deeply whenever romance is involved, rather quickly.

Theme Song!

Prompt One
You can do this, June. Keep your chin up. You met with your tutor, you worked with mom, you did decent on the practice exams. You just need to go and get it done!

A stray curl of hair bobbed in front of her cheek and she immediately grasped it, pulling it back into one of the several bobby pins that it took to keep her thick hair at bay. She preferred to have her hair tugged back away from her face whenever she had to take exams; it helped her to stay concentrated on the task at hand. She bobbed and weaved through the crowd that was bustling to get through the front door as the first school bell rang, excusing herself whenever she accidentally brushed against another student or even a teacher. She shot a few of them smiles, even though they didn’t tend to give her a smile back. She was certain that most people either didn’t know her or thought it was weird that this strange girl was smiling at them, but her mother had always taught her to approach each day with a smile. Even when, inside, she was freaking out about her Algebra II exam.

Swinging her backpack around, she balanced it on one knee as she opened her top locker. She wasn’t the tallest girl and it was difficult for her to reach into the back of her locker, so she tried to keep all of the items lose to the front. She balanced the bag carefully and tugged out her book, notebook that was bulging with spare papers, and her two pencils. She also managed to fish out her calculator before hanging up her tattered old bag, littered with paint stains. She slammed her locker shut and sucked in a sharp breath, knowing that she could easily make it to class on time if she walked leisurely, but she ended up walking even slower as her mind tried to review the topics that would be on the exam.

When would she ever use that shit, anyway? Algebra certainly can’t be one of those skills that you were guaranteed to use into adulthood. She was pretty sure that the adults just spewed those lies because they wanted the kids to actually do their work, eat their vegetables, etc. Her mother always tried to be honest with her, but she knew that Algebra wasn’t going to be on her radar when she grew up. No way.

Juniper trudged up the stairs, her smile having shifted to a frown as she grumbled. She only lifted her head once she got into the classroom and gazed around, seeing the despondent faces of the other students who were there. She was happy to know that she didn’t seem to be the only one who was nervous about this exam. Taking her familiar seat – not that they were actually assigned, but simply by social construct – near the windows, she set out her things and then leaned back into her chair, organizing some notes atop her desk and glancing at the clock with a grimace on her lips.

Five minutes was definitely not enough time to prepare for this.

Prompt Two
How he’d noticed her, she never would have guessed, but she was happy that he had. She’d admired him from afar for a while, doing little things to simply try and get him to look her way. His locker was close to hers, so she made sure to wave or say hello. Sometimes, she’d walk alongside him in order to ask how his classes were going, how his day was, and the like. And soon those little conversations had grown to bigger conversations, sitting together or near one another in classes or at lunch, and even exchanging phone numbers so they could keep in contact. Friendship was key for her whenever it came to the budding of romance, something she’d come to realize was normal for her but not for most of the rest of society. Even if they were just going to be friends, that was okay. Never had she anticipated it going this far, but she certainly couldn’t say she was upset by the development.

She was scrubbing frantically at the paint on her fingers; feeling like the deep, indigo hue was never going to leave the grooves and crevices. She scrubbed until she felt raw, or like she was going to lose her own fingerprints, and stopped only when the water was too scalding to continue. Lifting her blue-grey eyes to gaze at her own reflection, she stared at herself for a moment, taking a good, hard look at her own face. She thought she had a symmetrical face, something that artists always admired, and she found that she often admired how she looked. Her wet hands patted at her mass of hair, seeing if it could be tamed… but she knew it was useless and had no idea why she’d even tried. A grimace touched her lips before she wiped off the dark lipstick from the school day, intending on changing up the color for her date this Friday night.

She wasn’t… nervous, necessarily. She felt more jittery and excited, like she couldn’t wait to get going. June walked quickly to her closet, pushing clothes out of the way and throwing clothes to join some other pairs that were on the floor in small piles. Finding the long-sleeved dress she wanted, she danced her way out of her school clothes and pulled it on. It was white with horizontal black stripes that were thin, running the entire form of the dress. Searching frantically through piles on the floor, she finally found a pair of black tights that she slipped on beneath the dress to match the stripes, letting her lean legs comfortably fit into the material. Then, the accessories were next: a thick, red belt to break up the stripes of her dress that sat around her ribs, and she slipped into black ballet flats to complete the look.

She padded back into the bathroom, her heart pattering quickly as she put on red lipstick and a bit of eyeliner and mascara. Her nails were painted black still, and were chipped… but there was no time! Shaking her head, she brushed her teeth frantically, suddenly feeling very rushed as she heard her cell phone vibrate – he was here! Early! What a gentleman, but damnit! She quickly spit and wiped her mouth. She could do this, she could do this! She grabbed her purse – a large, hobo style bag that her items often got lost in more than found – and skidded towards her bedroom door.
“Be back later, mom! Love you!” The call met an empty hallway, her mother busy on her laptop to type up some kind of land-proposal. Standing at the front door, she took one last, deep breath, before she opened it and stepped out into the night, excitement lighting up her features as she shut the door and locked it behind her.

Prompt Three
Hot.

It’s too hot. The light… it’s not steady. Flickering. It’s hard to breathe. My chest… it’s heavy, too heavy. I’m not inhaling air. It’s thick; it’s impure. It hurts. Everything aches. There’s a dwindling sense of being; my head is throbbing and I can hear my heart beating, feel it in my toes.

I try to call for my mom. It’s hoarse. I can’t make the sounds come out. And I can’t move my feet.

I’m trapped. It’s too hot. My eyes burn. My arms are on fire. The flames lick against my flesh, flaring it away like it was nothing. The scent of burning human fills my nose amongst the smoke.

I scream. It goes unheard. I don’t know if I actually screamed.

It’s so hot.

Juniper! Wake up!

Her mother’s voice broke through and she realized as she swiftly came-to that she was hearing the tail end of a scream. Her scream, from her parted and split lips. She could taste the copper familiarity of blood trickling down her throat, lingering on her tongue. Her body was shaking finely as her wild eyes met the concerned face of her mother before her. It wasn’t hot here; she felt hot, but it wasn’t hot. The window was open, curtains softly billowing with the spring breeze. The radio was on softly in the background, the classical station still filling the silent void with beautiful melodies. This one was haunting – how fitting.

“Are you alright?” Her mother’s words came softly, hesitantly. Juniper blinked in recognition, before she swallowed her blood and spit, giving her a confirmation nod. She would be alright. “I’ll bring you some water,” is what she heard her mother say before she was gone. Juniper stared down at her arms, where the skin was twisted and deformed, from just above her wrists up onto each shoulder. Tears pricked at her eyes as she rubbed her palms over her face to push them away. Crying would do nothing. She began to breathe slowly, centering herself. There was no fire here. No heat except for her own body, trapped and twined in her blankets, and the purring form of Daphne settled onto the bed beside her.

She was safe. It had been a nightmare. Though, she knew it was getting worse as it got harder and harder to distinguish between her nightmares and reality.

By the time her mother returned with her water, she was composed, a smile on her lips as she thanked her and took a sip of relief.