Im currently thinking about setting up a game, where a small group of people - possibly friends - want to become famous actors in Hollywood. They might have just finished their acting-classes, if they had visited any at all, and are now trying to get invited to auditions and to make a name for themselves.
There will be high hopes, big disappointments, pride, envy, possibly drugs, strippers and everything that´ll be good to create a lot of drama.
While I imagine the game to be freeform mostly, I think it could be fun to have some sort of mini-system underneath, when it comes to the castings and to see who will get the job. Im not entirely sure about the system yet and what Im writing here isnt by all means set in stone. Im just kicking around a few ideas here and id be happy to hear what you think.
One important thing for every character is money
. Everyone will start with a certain amount of it (say... 2.000 bucks), but they need to pay for rent, their food or their car, if they have one. They can find day-jobs like being a waiter in a diner or packing bags in a supermarket, which will earn them a bit of money. And of course, if they get hired as an actor, they will get paid as well.
Then, every character might have several stats
, which affect how well he does in certain castings. Those stats could be:Attractiveness
- It never hurts to be good looking. Thats how Megan Fox got most of her jobs.Personality
- You might not be the best actor in the world, but when youre on screen, people just love you, because you just have that certain special something. Jack Nicholson might be an example for that.Acting Skill
- Its not always needed to be a perfect actor, to get a role, but if it is, youre up for the task. You can think your way into every character and just become that person, like maybe Daniel Day Lewis or Natalie Portman do.Humour
- Youre basically just a funny guy and people love you for it. Kevin James, Will Ferrell and Seth Rogen probably fall into that category.Physicality
- Sure, you can do a lot of stuff with CG nowadays, but some movies just demand you to train very hard. This goes for many action-roles, where you need to run and jump a lot, but also for other physical roles like maybe Natalie Portmans role in "Black Swan".
Characters will have a certain amounts of points (lets say 8 for now) they can spend on those stats.
To score a role in a movie, you will need casting-points
In each casting, the GM (myself) will decide what skills will be necessary for the movie (If its "Guardians of the Galaxy", youd probably need Physicality, Humour and Attractiveness). The character with the highest point in those stats will get 2 casting-points, the character with the second highest stats will get 1 casting point.
And to have a bit of randomness to it and to reflect the personal preferences of the auditioners, I will have every player give out 3 casting-points to any other character but their own.
Then we´ll just add it all up and whoever has the most casting points wins. Of course that might be an NPC as well, as your characters wont be the only ones applying for a role.
I will put up a thread with casting-opportunities and every character can decide, which auditions they wanna visit and if they might wanna skip their day-jobs, if it interferes with an especially interesting audition.
The actual castings will happen once a week (real time) on a certain day (friday?) and on that day the GM will announce, if any of the players have scored any roles.
Depending on how long this game is going, Id love to see your characters work their way up from starring in a cheesy soap opera to becoming big stars in the movie business, while others might end up in the gutter just looking for the next shot.
Does this make any sense at all? If it does to you, please drop me a line or two and dont hesitate to share your ideas.