You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

December 09, 2016, 01:35:33 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Send us your theme!

Hark!  The Herald!
Holiday Issue 2016

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: Lockheed-Martin Hybrid Airship  (Read 743 times)

Offline ZakharraTopic starter

Lockheed-Martin Hybrid Airship
« on: June 19, 2015, 06:17:42 PM »
 http://www.janes.com/article/52319/paris-air-show-2015-lockheed-martin-unveils-new-heavy-lift-hybrid-airship

This could be very interesting if it gets built. It would be a startling change to see slow moving airships majestically cruising through the air overhead. 20 tons doesn't seem like much compared to what a train or ship can haul, but as I understand it, it is a good amount of weight to haul by air. And given it's a blimp/zeppelin/airship(whatever the terminology is), it can haul cargoes at a cheaper, albeit slower rate, cost per mile/kilometer than regular aircraft. Plus it would be able to hover over the target and not need an airfield. That capability would be very useful indeed.

Offline mia h

Re: Lockheed-Martin Hybrid Airship
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2015, 10:25:13 AM »
They seem to have been talking about new airships for what seems like forever, but for what I remember airships are dependent on good weather far more than conventional aircraft. Because of thier size they are more greatly effected by strong winds and because they are relatively slow moving they have problems avoiding storm fronts etc. So I think there are very strong concerns about the commercial viability of these airships.

Although if they do get the kinks worked out, maybe we could see the return of flying aircraft carriers.

Online Oniya

• StoreHouse of Useless Trivia
  • Oracle
  • Carnite
  • Location: Just bouncing through. Hi! City of Roses, Pennsylvania
  • One bad Motokifuka. Also cute and FLUFFY!
  • My Role Play Preferences
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 3
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2015, 01:18:49 PM »
The airship used to be considered a form of luxury flight - well-apportioned cabins, fine dining - less of a 'need to get there' and more of an 'enjoy the trip' sort of thing.  Almost like cruise liners in a sense.

Offline ZakharraTopic starter

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2015, 06:58:29 PM »
They seem to have been talking about new airships for what seems like forever, but for what I remember airships are dependent on good weather far more than conventional aircraft. Because of thier size they are more greatly effected by strong winds and because they are relatively slow moving they have problems avoiding storm fronts etc. So I think there are very strong concerns about the commercial viability of these airships.

Although if they do get the kinks worked out, maybe we could see the return of flying aircraft carriers.

Like Castle Wulfenbach:

A US Helicarrier:

The SHIELD Helicarrier:

or the ARES Goliath from War of the Worlds:

( with the too ) 

Which one?

Offline mia h

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2015, 03:31:28 AM »
They looked like this

The USS Akron and USS Macon, both were in service for a couple of years in the mid 1930's before they were both destroyed in accidents. They took the wheels off the bi-planes that flew from the carriers to save weight, because they were launched and released from the underside of the airship the wheels weren't needed.

Offline Ryven

• Keeper of Cowthulhu | Pure Awesomenesity
  • Knight
  • Addict
  • The night's pleasure follows in my footsteps
  • My Role Play Preferences
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2015, 10:37:09 AM »
All I can think of is the "Skytanic" episode from Archer.

Offline Parker

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2015, 08:33:19 PM »
The Darpa WALRUS project was along these lines, and set a lot of people's imaginations on fire as well.

Lots of potential, in this kind of technology.