You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

December 08, 2016, 03:54:18 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Send us your theme!

Hark!  The Herald!
Holiday Issue 2016

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: DnD 5th encounter building help  (Read 658 times)

Offline mvo33Topic starter

DnD 5th encounter building help
« on: March 01, 2015, 07:31:47 PM »
Hi there,

I'm looking for help tuning some encounters for a one shot DnD 5th edition game (not forum...personal game).  I've played a few games one shot games (with level 1 characters) but want to test out things at a slightly higher level.  I created an adventure for level 4 characters but as it's my first time creating for 5th edition I'm not sure how balanced my encounters are.

Have anyone created encounters for level 4 characters and could look over my encounters and give me pointers?

Thank you for your time and help
Matt

Offline sleepingferret

• Knight
  • Seducer
  • Location: Someplace with warm weather and no silly politicians...oh wait, that'd be my dreams
  • Conflict is inevitable...How we solve it, matters.
  • My Role Play Preferences
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 0
Re: DnD 5th encounter building help
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2015, 12:40:01 AM »
How many players are in the group?  And as I'm sure you know, things like the type of characters and such can also affect the balancing of encounters.  But unlike MMOs, usually tabletop RPGs are easier to balance out despite having your "non-typical" parties.

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2015, 07:37:34 AM »
Yup I've built and run many encounters in 3.5, 4 and shadowrun.

There are five players and they created characters a few weeks ago:
Human Paladin
Human Sorcerror
Half-orc Fighter
Gnome Warlock
Gnome Druid

Unfortunately the game's tomorrow so I'm not sure how much I'll be able to tweak my encounters.  It will be interesting...

Matt

Offline greenknight

• Lord
  • Enchanted
  • This is some personal text. There are many like it, but this one is mine!
  • My Role Play Preferences
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2015, 06:21:43 PM »
The basic tool for gauging encounter difficulty is xp available from the encounter. For your five fourth level characters, that gives you the following values:
easymediumharddeadly
That's per character, so if you want your encounter to gauge out at medium difficulty, use monsters that will add up to 1250 xp. Depending on the number of monsters, you increase their effective xp value without actually awarding more xp. For example, if you use two monsters, multiply their xp by 1.5 to determine their effective difficulty. The idea is that more targets is more difficult for the party to handle than just one thing they all get to beat up on.

For more detail, refer to pp 81-85 of DMG.

(Sorry this was so late, I hope it helps going forward)
« Last Edit: July 28, 2015, 08:19:47 PM by greenknight »

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2015, 02:36:16 PM »
That's quite alright GreenKnight.

It worked out in the end, I think I ended up with some well balanced encounters...I'm going to claim on purpose (though it might have been accident).  I ended up doing three encounters that were from slightly to moderately above deadly (spaced out enough to allow short and occasionally long rests).  It kept the tension up but were able to work through it.

I really wish they talked more about how low a CR is before you don't include them in the XP multiplication table.  They just say if it's low enough don't include them with out any other guidance.

Matt